Ultimate space simulation software

Jvneberries
Observer
Observer

Re: General questions about SpaceEngine

17 Aug 2022 20:03

This is exactly what i needed. Thank you very much. I would also like to say sorry for not responding immediately. i was on the road.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

18 Aug 2022 09:52

Glad I could help. Good luck on your project.

mkoch
Observer
Observer

23 Sep 2022 01:17

I'd like to know why in the graphics settings everything below "Eclipse shadows" is grayed out. Latest beta version.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Sep 2022 10:51

I'd like to know why in the graphics settings everything below "Eclipse shadows" is grayed out. Latest beta version.
Because there's a graphics quality preset selected by SpaceEngine depending on your hardware configuration, in your case "high". Select "custom" if you want to manually change parameters.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

mkoch
Observer
Observer

23 Sep 2022 11:02

Thank you!

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

23 Sep 2022 15:52

Because there's a graphics quality preset selected by SpaceEngine depending on your hardware configuration, in your case "high". Select "custom" if you want to manually change parameters.
Would you agree that SE should automatically set the preset to custom when the user tries to interact with these settings, and that it'd be a decent QOL improvement? It's tripped me up as well, given that most games just use the above solution.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Sep 2022 08:38

I would agree to consider such an improvement marginal
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

LonelySquid
Observer
Observer

28 Sep 2022 11:00

I recently came across this simulator, and am exploring a beta version of it to see if Space Engine is something for me. So I wanted to ask a few tiny questions. :) I love the amount of detail that goes into it from the few things I have seen so far. <3

I noticed spaceship cockpit features and spaceship building in the roadmap on the forums. If such a feature where to come to Space Engine in the future, would mean that you could walk into a ship and cockpit like in for example Microsoft Flight Simulator, or would it be more like teleportation into the ship without interiors? Additionally I feel also very curious if placing notes, biographies, or articles using some sort of overview menu, maybe including screenshots or something like that is a thing that may be implemented in the future?

Stunning simulator! Look forward what the future will bring. ;)

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

01 Oct 2022 14:48

would mean that you could walk into a ship and cockpit like in for example Microsoft Flight Simulator
MFS2020 does not have that feature.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

farito
Observer
Observer

06 Oct 2022 07:39

How to select a location in the "location[F6]" menu and press "g" to go directly instead of interrupting the game with "Loading"?

I used to bind the "Location" menu to the VR controller to select and use the "Go" function [equivalent to pressing "g"] to go to a favorite object [2022y10m5d, latest stable version on steam], but when I select " beta" branch and updated to beta, the "Locations" menu teleports me to my destination via loading, which is a waste of time when the destination is complex or when I need to teleport to multiple locations in a row, and I can only stare at the loading The screen can't do anything. I tried going back from the test branch to the stable version but the location menu doesn't restore it, I'm guessing this can be fixed by modifying the config file somewhere, does anyone know how to do this?

[Use Google Translate, please specify if in doubt]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Oct 2022 12:20

How to select a location in the "location[F6]" menu and press "g" to go directly instead of interrupting the game with "Loading"?
"Locations" menu behaves differently, depending on what mode you choose from the main menu.
If you enter in "Planetarium" mode, the locations menu has a "go to" button which teleports the camera in position, hence the "loading..." screen.
If you enter in "Flight simulator" mode, locations menu has the "select" button, which selects the object saved by the locations menu, and you need to go to it by pressing [G].
Since the behaviour of locations window never changed, I presume that you were always using "Flight simulator" mode before opting to the latest beta test version, which probably resets the settings to defaults.

farito
Observer
Observer

06 Oct 2022 21:54

"Locations" menu behaves differently, depending on what mode you choose from the main menu.
If you enter in "Planetarium" mode, the locations menu has a "go to" button which teleports the camera in position, hence the "loading..." screen.
If you enter in "Flight simulator" mode, locations menu has the "select" button, which selects the object saved by the locations menu, and you need to go to it by pressing [G].
Since the behaviour of locations window never changed, I presume that you were always using "Flight simulator" mode before opting to the latest beta test version, which probably resets the settings to defaults.
Thanks for your answer, I suddenly understand what's going on, including the fact that I can't reverse and specify time or speed it up to more than 10,000 times in the "old version". Have you guys considered adding a virtual keyboard to the VR mode? That would be very helpful for finding celestial bodies and selecting functions! Thanks again!
通过DeepL翻译 https://www.deepl.com/app/?utm_source=a ... ranslation

sarchiapone
Observer
Observer

14 Oct 2022 07:48

Hello everybody! 
New User, trying to make an animation of the sun going through the constellations (seen from Earth).

There is a way to FILTER out just the sun? I want to export 3 videos (same time period: one year): one only with constellations, one only stars with name, and one with SUN and everything, in order to work better in postprodution

thanks

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Oct 2022 12:51

You could disable procedural stars, galaxies and nebulae for starters. You could use the magnitude limit field to filter out stars > mag 7-8 I guess

sarchiapone
Observer
Observer

17 Oct 2022 11:35

You could disable procedural stars, galaxies and nebulae for starters. You could use the magnitude limit field to filter out stars > mag 7-8 I guess
aha I just discovered the command HideObject "Sun" that do the work!