Ultimate space simulation software

jbdenney
Observer
Observer

Re: General questions about SpaceEngine

18 Apr 2023 21:43

Reset Database to original conditions.

Is it possible to reset the FlightSim mode or Planetarium made back to "original database conditions" For example reset DIscoverer back to the original blank condition or return to the original date.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Apr 2023 11:27

Reset Database to original conditions.

Is it possible to reset the FlightSim mode or Planetarium made back to "original database conditions" For example reset DIscoverer back to the original blank condition or return to the original date.
The config subfolder that you can find under the spaceengine installation folder contains several .cfg files that can be deleted to go back to the default settings.
  • Delete main-user.cfg if you want to reset most settings to default
  • Delete save-user.cfg to reset settings username, camera position in space and time and last used spacecraft
  • Delete spacecraft.cfg to delete all user-spawn spaceships in game all at once
  • Delete user-eng-db.cfg (the name is dependent on the localization used for the program, so it can be different) to remove all custom descriptions written in the info window regarding procedural planets (fictional names and story assigned to procedural planets)
If modifications were done to descriptions of real planets or moons, then those descriptions are written in the localization file in use at that moment.
Let's say you add some trivia regarding Apollo 11 mission to the Moon info panel, and your localization is in english, then that description is in the data\locale\eng-db.cfg file.
If this kind of modifications is extensive, the quickest way to reset to defaults is to delete the eng-db.cfg file, then forcing a restore of that file by checking local files consistency from the Steam client: From Steam Library, right-click on SpaceEngine > Properties > Local files > verify integrity of game files 
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

QcMikeTheRedQc
Observer
Observer

13 May 2023 00:26

You can activate the orbitale grid in Objetcs filter in option , you need to activate the specific name ''orbital grid'' option just below the main grill option.

i dont have english version so sorry if ''orbital grid'' is not the right meaning . ^^

a1872
Observer
Observer

24 May 2023 13:58

Hi.  I was just wondering why Venus' surface looks different than the plates of rock separated by dark soil that Venera showed--in SE the surface seems to resemble sand.

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

24 May 2023 19:40

How do I remove the minor planet designations of Pluto, Eris, Haumea, Makemake, and Ceres? It doesn't go away when I remove the designation from the script.
"We, as planetary scientists and astronomers, do not agree with the IAU's definition of a planet, nor will we use it. A better definition is needed."

—Over 300 planetary scientists, Prague 2006

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 May 2023 04:43

How do I remove the minor planet designations of Pluto, Eris, Haumea, Makemake, and Ceres? It doesn't go away when I remove the designation from the script.
For Ceres:
  1. Find the script where Ceres is currently defined by selecting it and pressing [Numpad *] to access the debug mode window (press two times more to return to normal mode after). In this case the file is data/catalogs/catalogs.pak/planets/SolarSys.sc
  2. Copy the entire Ceres definition in another empty .sc file, placed into an addons/catalogs/planets/ folder
  3. Add  Remove "(1) Ceres" {Parentbody "Sun"}  as first line in the above .sc file
  4. Change the DwarfMoon name  from "Ceres/(1) Ceres" in "Ceres"
  5. Change the parent body from ParentBody "Sun" to ParentBody "Sol", and it's done.
Same thing can be applied to all existing catalog objects.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

25 May 2023 17:48

For Ceres:
  1. Find the script where Ceres is currently defined by selecting it and pressing [Numpad *] to access the debug mode window (press two times more to return to normal mode after). In this case the file is data/catalogs/catalogs.pak/planets/SolarSys.sc
  2. Copy the entire Ceres definition in another empty .sc file, placed into an addons/catalogs/planets/ folder
  3. Add  Remove "(1) Ceres" {Parentbody "Sun"}  as first line in the above .sc file
  4. Change the DwarfMoon name  from "Ceres/(1) Ceres" in "Ceres"
  5. Change the parent body from ParentBody "Sun" to ParentBody "Sol", and it's done.
Same thing can be applied to all existing catalog objects.
This worked like a charm for Ceres and Makemake and Haumea, but it didn't work for Pluto or Orcus since the parent body isn't "Sol", but "Pluto-Charon" and "Orcus-Vanth" respectively. How do I achieve the same result (removing the minor planet designation) with these binary objects?
"We, as planetary scientists and astronomers, do not agree with the IAU's definition of a planet, nor will we use it. A better definition is needed."

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 May 2023 08:43

This worked like a charm for Ceres and Makemake and Haumea, but it didn't work for Pluto or Orcus since the parent body isn't "Sol", but "Pluto-Charon" and "Orcus-Vanth" respectively.
SE doesn't like when you remove then you add the same object in a script. For SE, objects are identical when the pair <name>/<parentbody> are the same, so either you change the name, or the parentbody. For objects of the solar system rotating around our star, the duality Sol/Sun comes in handy to differentiate names. For Orcus-Vanth you can change slightly the name, by adding a space for example:

Remove "(90482) Orcus" {ParentBody "Orcus-Vanth"}
Remove "(90482) Orcus I Vanth" {ParentBody "Orcus-Vanth"}

Asteroid "Orcus "
{
    ParentBody       "Orcus-Vanth"

[...]

Asteroid "Vanth "
{

You can also use a $ as a special character in SpaceEngine names, it will hide what it's written after it in the object finder and for the GUI, while effectively differentiate an object when SE creates it: "Vanth$asteroid" will show up as "Vanth"

sebastian.echeverry
Observer
Observer

27 May 2023 12:31

Hi, 
I want to buy SE, but I need to explore specifically Hoag's Object. Is it possible to know how many stars and planets are real data?, how can I know which ones are and which ones are not?. 

Does SE allows to check every Solar system in the Hoag's object?. 

thanks. 

sebastian.echeverry
Observer
Observer

27 May 2023 12:34

Is there a way to put real data into SE?, if yes, how?, and if yes, where can I get that information?. Thanks a lot. 

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 May 2023 18:22

Hi, 
I want to buy SE, but I need to explore specifically Hoag's Object. Is it possible to know how many stars and planets are real data?, how can I know which ones are and which ones are not?.
Stars and planets forming Hoag's Object in SpaceEngine are all procedural, which means not real but calculated from textures provided to the program, coded rules and statistical approximations based on currently accepted studies regarding galaxy formation models.
Procedural planets and stars in SpaceEngine are easy to spot because they follow a specific name pattern, usually beginning with "RS" (Random Star) and a series of numbers/identifiers.
Personally I'm not aware of the existence of catalogs containing real data for Hoag's stars, or planets. Currently there are also some technical limitations that could not allow the positioning of such data at distances of hundreds of million light-years like Hoag's Object.  
Does SE allows to check every Solar system in the Hoag's object?. 
Every procedural solar system in Hoag's object can be explored, like for every galaxy, catalogued or procedural.
Is there a way to put real data into SE?, if yes, how?, and if yes, where can I get that information?
It's possible to input real data for known objects, or update data for objects already included, by using catalog scripts that use a specific syntax and commands, all described in a manual available here. Here in forums too there are snippets of code scattered in several threads from other users showing how the code works.

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

29 May 2023 16:55

This worked like a charm for Ceres and Makemake and Haumea, but it didn't work for Pluto or Orcus since the parent body isn't "Sol", but "Pluto-Charon" and "Orcus-Vanth" respectively.
SE doesn't like when you remove then you add the same object in a script. For SE, objects are identical when the pair <name>/<parentbody> are the same, so either you change the name, or the parentbody. For objects of the solar system rotating around our star, the duality Sol/Sun comes in handy to differentiate names. For Orcus-Vanth you can change slightly the name, by adding a space for example:

Remove "(90482) Orcus" {ParentBody "Orcus-Vanth"}
Remove "(90482) Orcus I Vanth" {ParentBody "Orcus-Vanth"}

Asteroid "Orcus "
{

[...]

Asteroid "Vanth "
{

You can also use a $ as a special character in SpaceEngine names, it will hide what it's written after it in the object finder and for the GUI, while effectively differentiate an object when SE creates it: "Vanth$asteroid" will show up as "Vanth"
Perfect solution. Thanks a ton!

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

31 May 2023 16:49

How do I add a discovery method to an object's info?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

01 Jun 2023 15:09

DiscMethod and DiscDate parameters, added to object's other parameters, see the manual

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

01 Jun 2023 16:06

DiscMethod and DiscDate parameters, added to object's other parameters, see the manual
Oh, I see it now. I should've checked there first, sorry. Thank you so much!