Ultimate space simulation software

fxmodels
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

SE stuttering and laggy but all other games smooth

25 May 2023 20:36

Hi folks..
I have a Ryzen5 3600 6 core machine with 32gb of memory and plenty of SSD drive space. I have an MSI monitor I JUST added that is curved and replaces two separate older monitors that were side by side.The native resolution of the monitor is 3440x1440 and its set to that.  I have an RTX 3060 card with 12gb.

Every game I run is smooth as silk and overperforms. SE USED to be smooth other than near planets on the earlier version on this same computer using a GTX 1060 on the old monitors.

MS Flight simulator is smooth as silk at Ultra graphics levels and all other games are smoother than they have ever been. SE however is the exception. Now SE runs dog slow and stutters even at the slowest speeds and resolutions. Framerate is in the toilet and even running on Potato graphics its unusable.

What may be different now? Is it the monitor for some reason? The 3060 card which as a rank of 57/700  versus the 1060 which has arating of 121/700?

I have played with many settings and just cannot get a smooth frame rate on any settings.

I do not understand how SE would become dog slow after having been like lightning on an inferior setup...
Clues? Ideas?
Thanks,
Marc
Join SkyTour LiveStream on Youtube for clear night deep sky tours LIVE from our research grade remotely operated observatory
Listen to SkyTour Radio on KGRAradio.com Sunday Nights 20:00-22:00 ET ... Your Astronomy ONLY show!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: SE stuttering and laggy but all other games smooth

26 May 2023 09:00

Hi, it's hard to tell without having more clues. Can we see your se.log file? It's in your SpaceEngine\system\ folder .
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

fxmodels
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

26 May 2023 09:10

Thank you for responding. Here is the log attached... Keep in mind this was glass smooth on an inferior graphics card and older monitor...
Attachments
se.log
(122.71 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Join SkyTour LiveStream on Youtube for clear night deep sky tours LIVE from our research grade remotely operated observatory
Listen to SkyTour Radio on KGRAradio.com Sunday Nights 20:00-22:00 ET ... Your Astronomy ONLY show!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 May 2023 11:04

Did you have the same steam addons before? From what I can see, you have GAIA Extreme with 14 million stars which is a quite big catalog, and GAIA Insane with 30 million. Even in the description for those addons is suggested to pick only one. SpaceEngine will start merging data for each star appearing in both addons. In these conditions, you should see the loading bar fixed for a considerable amount of time, as the catalog is 30 million lines long after all.
I would suggest to unsubscribe from those two addons from the Steam client first, and run the program from there with the option "Launch Workshop configuration and uploading tool". From there, be sure that both addons are not in the list (you have 3 items now).
Go to the SpaceEngine folder and delete the cache folder entirely, then try and run again SE, see if it works better.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

fxmodels
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

26 May 2023 14:31

Yes it was smooth as silk prior. Same addons. Ok I will try this. thank you!
Marc

jesse99
Observer
Observer

15 Aug 2023 21:22

From my point of view, the sudden drop in performance for SpaceEngine might be due to the increased monitor resolution. You can try lowering the in-game graphics settings or adjusting the resolution scaling within the game settings to lessen the demand on your RTX 3060's resources and potentially restore smoother gameplay.