Ultimate space simulation software

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Problem Removing Objects

16 May 2023 15:02

I’m trying to edit planets. Normally, when you edit the object by exporting/importing the script, the new edits should MERGE with the old object because it has the same name and same parent body (I edit Makemake for example and that works fine). But when I do the same process for Quaoar or Sedna or Gonggong, it creates a NEW object clipping/glitching through the old one despite the name and parent body being identical.

So a developer on Reddit told me I could remove the old object with the Remove “PlanetName” { ParentBody “Name” } script in catalogs/addons/planets. It works perfectly for Venus, but it’s just not working for Quaoar or Sedna or Gonggong.

Another developer on Reddit said I could “comment out the entire entry with // on each line”, but I don’t know how to do that nor do I know what it would accomplish.

Does anyone know a way I can remove the old object so I can keep the new one? I tried using the “Remove” command but that’s not working. Does anyone know a script that’ll solve my problem?
"We, as planetary scientists and astronomers, do not agree with the IAU's definition of a planet, nor will we use it. A better definition is needed."

—Over 300 planetary scientists, Prague 2006

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: Problem Removing Objects

16 May 2023 19:06

Parentbody name is usually the key. You have to be sure to use the correct name for the parentbody, as for the Sun, sometimes catalogs refer to it as "Sun", other times as "Sol", and SpaceEngine treat them as two different objects. When clipping in place occurs, usually it's because it's been used the wrong parentbody name to remove the old object.

Quaoar: it's described in a data/catalogs/catalogs.pak/planets/KuiperBelt.sc file, line 20, as it's specified in the debug mode window (numpad *). when you look at the script, you see

Asteroid "Quaoar/(50000) Quaoar"
{
    ParentBody "Sol"
    AsterType  "Cubewano"

So to remove it, you have to use

Remove "(50000) Quaoar" {ParentBody "Sol"}

before your script code.

Sedna: same catalog script, line 151: ParentBody used is "Sol"

Remove "(90377) Sedna" {ParentBody "Sol"}

Gonggong: SolarSys.sc, line 3417: ParentBody used is "Sol" again

Remove "(225088) Gonggong" {ParentBody "Sol"}

It worked for Venus, in fact if you look at SolarSys.sc where Venus is defined:

Planet    "Venus"
{
    ParentBody     "Sun"
    Class          "Terra"

and you probably used

Remove "Venus" {ParentBody "Sun"}
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Jellyman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

17 May 2023 12:36

Wow, thanks a million! I’ve been trying to figure this out for weeks! It’s weird because everyone has been saying that since version 0.990, the syntax got changed from “Sol” to “Sun”. But I guess some objects still use “Sol” in the source code. Thank you for the help, I love that it’s working now!
"We, as planetary scientists and astronomers, do not agree with the IAU's definition of a planet, nor will we use it. A better definition is needed."

—Over 300 planetary scientists, Prague 2006

dansonpas
Observer
Observer

06 Jul 2023 01:52

Wow, a million gracias! It's been weeks since I first started attempting to understand this! It's strange because common opinion holds that the spelling of "Sol" was changed to "Sun" in version 0.990. However, "Sol" may still be present in the source code of some objects. I appreciate your assistance; I'm thrilled that it's finally functioning!