Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Re: Russia-Ukraine war

24 May 2022 14:25

I think the story is more like small fish would rather hang out with big fish than with medium fish, but medium fish doesn't like big fish, therefore medium fish eats small fish.  NATO is a military alliance and its stated purpose is to defend states in case of an attack of a third party.  NATO has no doubt overstepped this mandate more than once and led military operations where considering a member state attacked is a pretty far stretch.  In practice military campaigns are carried out calculating that the rest of the world will not react.  Everybody does that.  But Russia miscalculated.  Much of the world did react, which perhaps came as a surprise to Russia because there was no serious reaction when Crimea was annexed.

Medium fish wants to be big fish, and this makes the current situation more dangerous than during the cold war when there was big fish versus big fish.  Now medium fish has to prove itself.

Medium fish invaded little fish because medium fish didn't want big fish and small fish to be friends.  But that is not a reason for invasion.  So a pretext of fixing a nazi problem was found.  Ukraine was hardly perfect, but Russia "helping" Ukraine to fix Ukraine's problems is somewhat like somebody helping out his neighbour's weed problem by bulldozing through his house into his garden to remove those weeds once and for all, without asking the neighbour.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Marmontes
Observer
Observer

15 Aug 2022 04:56

The war in Europe, the problems with Taiwan, and the risk of nuclear war, all these events make me kind of depressed. We live in a time when we do not know what will happen next, what events will lead the world to even more deplorable events or when that fateful day will come. I am personally scared, so in order to keep myself in check, I had to get myself a Medical Marijuana Card In Massachusetts, in order to legally buy it. I smoke every other day because I can't do anything else.

EvaShinQ
Observer
Observer

15 Aug 2022 06:25

The war in Europe, the problems with Taiwan, and the risk of nuclear war, all these events make me kind of depressed. We live in a time when we do not know what will happen next, what events will lead the world to even more deplorable events or when that fateful day will come. I am personally scared, so in order to keep myself in check, I had to get myself a [...]

I don't think people will go to a nuclear war, the main thing is to wait out this period.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

11 Mar 2023 21:24

Worth a watch about the sanctions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_4M9R8Ggs squardle

I think Russia can hold out for more than a few months, but in the longer run Russia is going to rot technologically and/or end up in the pocket of China.
This is really hard to predict, after all, Russia is a powerful country militarily
Russia is struggling with Ukraine, what makes you think the are a powerful military country, besides their nukes? I thought Russia was very powerful until I saw how the are having many problems against Ukrainians
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

12 Mar 2023 15:36

Sort of reminds me of the US in Vietnam or either the US or Russia in Afghanistan.  More wars that should never have happened.