27 May 2019 05:19

[youtube]IDxkpH4DlZM[/youtube]
Futurum Fusionem

default0.0player
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe

27 May 2019 07:55

The overuse and abuse of big-data analysis may destoy human society. Airlines use big data to get your places of interest and commit first degree price discrimination. Health insurance may aquire DNA data from their patients and skyrocket the price only to the vulnerable people of certain diseases. Facebook helped advertisers target teens who feel "worthless", and FB even perform social experiments to "manlipulate" users' mood, they even use face recognition to get the results. Google analyze its users and show "biased" results. Smart appliances "internet of things" track their users and send personalized data to ad companys. Corporate media can tamper people's thoughts via biased news.
In the near future, smart city will be a form of panopticon controlled by tecnology monopoly, where people's activities are watched(and controlled). And there will be no free thought because of overwhelmed analysis(such as face recognitions that analyse mood) and systematic brainwashing. This may even happen at the end of this very century. 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Jun 2019 14:34

The overuse and abuse of big-data analysis may destoy human society. Airlines use big data to get your places of interest and commit first degree price discrimination. Health insurance may aquire DNA data from their patients and skyrocket the price only to the vulnerable people of certain diseases. Facebook helped advertisers target teens who feel "worthless", and FB even perform social experiments to "manlipulate" users' mood, they even use face recognition to get the results. Google analyze its users and show "biased" results. Smart appliances "internet of things" track their users and send personalized data to ad companys. Corporate media can tamper people's thoughts via biased news.
In the near future, smart city will be a form of panopticon controlled by tecnology monopoly, where people's activities are watched(and controlled). And there will be no free thought because of overwhelmed analysis(such as face recognitions that analyse mood) and systematic brainwashing. This may even happen at the end of this very century. 

and the usage of predictive data through mass surveillance to create a Minority Report type of police state

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

02 Jul 2019 03:22

[youtube]ElulEJruhRQ[/youtube]
Futurum Fusionem

default0.0player
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

29 Dec 2019 01:07

and the usage of predictive data through mass surveillance to create a Minority Report type of police state
What illustrated in Minority Report is about to happen in the near future, brace youself.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Dec 2019 05:34

You can live mostly under the radar, if you wish, but you will be unable to use mobile phones (unless you trust your provider), and you may be unable to drive a car (to avoid automated tolls and traffic cameras), and anonymous public transport may be limited.  You can still relatively safely use the internet through services like the Tor network.  The irony, though, if very few people live under the radar, authorities might consider that itself suspect.

I find it pretty annoying that, for instance, if I need a hotel somewhere and search for options on the internet, I get bombed by ads for hotels in the area for months.  It's better that way, though, than seeing those ads stop once my stay is over.  That would be more creepy.  But we might soon be there.

Google has tracked me since April 2016.  This overview map is fairly harmless, but the information I find if I zoom in, while sometimes useful for me, is perhaps more than I'd like to share.
► Show Spoiler
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Jan 2020 06:29

You can live mostly under the radar, if you wish, but you will be unable to use mobile phones (unless you trust your provider), and you may be unable to drive a car (to avoid automated tolls and traffic cameras), and anonymous public transport may be limited.  You can still relatively safely use the internet through services like the Tor network.  The irony, though, if very few people live under the radar, authorities might consider that itself suspect.

I find it pretty annoying that, for instance, if I need a hotel somewhere and search for options on the internet, I get bombed by ads for hotels in the area for months.  It's better that way, though, than seeing those ads stop once my stay is over.  That would be more creepy.  But we might soon be there.

Google has tracked me since April 2016.  This overview map is fairly harmless, but the information I find if I zoom in, while sometimes useful for me, is perhaps more than I'd like to share.
► Show Spoiler
Thats probably why the EU has been fining Google billions of dollars.  They should do that here too.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: The Future of Humanity & Intelligent life in the universe

12 Jun 2022 08:27

This thread has been dormant for a while, and I thought some recent advances in technology make it worth trying to revive it.  If you haven't already familiarised yourself with recent advances in text to image generation, just search for DALL-E 2 or Imagen on YouTube or Google.  It's just insane.  I remember the optimism around artificial intelligence in the 90's, how it promised to change what computers could do, but it pretty much fizzled out as an idea which for the most part didn't work out in practice or in just a limited way for a few applications.  Over the past ten years or so, something has changed.  We've seen AI offering real value saving humans tremendous work.  Like image classification, which has become pretty good.  Language understanding has also improved, though discussing things with AI robots still has some way to go.  Initial AI replies might sound impressive, but probing its reasoning tend to trigger repeating, asperger like rants.  A couple of years ago the state of combining language and image AI to synthesise images was interesting, but still seemed like yet another promising AI idea which didn't really work out in practice.  But over the past few months we've seen new results which are mindblowing.  We rarely see technological advances in so short time, which will change whole industries and professions forever.  For some reason combining these language models with image synthesis works surprisingly well.  Hard to believe well...  It's worth noting that the images generated are not stuff cut&pasted from the learning data.  They images are completely new and original.  The AI has actually learned what things ought to look like and how to synthesise it.

DALL-E 2 paper
Imagen paper

What do you think this stuff will mean for humanity?  Surely, things are going to change for stock photography and artwork.  And if this works for images, what about everything else?  Whilst the learning process is pretty generic, I don't think this means that AI suddenly will change everything else soon.  It looks more like text to images happens to work extremely well, and when the next code for something else will be cracked, nobody can say for sure.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

12 Jun 2022 13:39

This kind of thing was predicted even in Star Trek with holodeck requests, while that was scifi the inevitable outcome of such things will be ultra high def realistic visuals, artistic images, and it will inevitably tie into voice creation, 3D models, to the point AI will most likely be able to generate anything people need or want for research and entertainment.  I'd give it another decade or two before this really takes off.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Jun 2022 15:26

We basically already have something good enough for basic artwork good enough for everything not required to be very specific or totally new, once DALL-E 2 and Imagen are made fully public.  They say that concerns about misuse prevents them from doing that.  I see that there can be issues with photorealistic stuff, but for art I frankly don't see this as an issue.  Nobody stops anyone from making a nasty drawing with existing technology (paper and pencil...).

I was playing with GPT-3 today.  It's pretty fun, and it can do impressive things, but it will produce correct answers and incorrect answers equally confidently.  Googled a few simple math problems and let it have a go at them, and whilst it appears to understand the problems and how to solve them, it still produced mostly incorrect answers.  And it could not be convinced wrong.  Here's an example:
► Show Spoiler
Ok, I guess it's futile to argue with an AI when it has decided what the correct answer is.  And this AI is definitely not ready for doing school children's homework.  Perhaps a good thing.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

12 Jun 2022 16:18

I have played with my own bots, connected them to various networks, if people knew how far along we are I doubt many would "sleep well at night". 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

13 Jun 2022 05:19

We basically already have something good enough for basic artwork good enough for everything not required to be very specific or totally new, once DALL-E 2 and Imagen are made fully public.  They say that concerns about misuse prevents them from doing that.  I see that there can be issues with photorealistic stuff, but for art I frankly don't see this as an issue.  Nobody stops anyone from making a nasty drawing with existing technology (paper and pencil...).

I was playing with GPT-3 today.  It's pretty fun, and it can do impressive things, but it will produce correct answers and incorrect answers equally confidently.  Googled a few simple math problems and let it have a go at them, and whilst it appears to understand the problems and how to solve them, it still produced mostly incorrect answers.  And it could not be convinced wrong.  Here's an example:
► Show Spoiler
Ok, I guess it's futile to argue with an AI when it has decided what the correct answer is.  And this AI is definitely not ready for doing school children's homework.  Perhaps a good thing.
Lol that's so funny.
I think it's a bit frustrating as well AHAH
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

13 Jun 2022 06:22

I have played with my own bots, connected them to various networks, if people knew how far along we are I doubt many would "sleep well at night". 
I find the situation now where we have come so far along that AI appears to work, but is so often wrong, more worrying than that we have come so far along that AI might do better than humans in several tasks.  I mean, when talking to GTP-3 it's less scary to see that it understands a lot and can formulate answers, than to see that the answers are frequently wrong, but confident and eloquent.

As a programmer, I love to see how GTP-3 can be asked to make code in any language that does what you ask it for.  Sometimes it makes silly errors, but so do programmers.  Even if it becomes so good that it hardly makes mistakes, I'll welcome the technology even if it means that my job is no longer needed.  If AI can do the job of 1000 programmers, what we can do with this technology is mind blowing.  AI singularity?  I wouldn't mind witnessing that, I think.  Intelligence is not directly a physical threat, and therefore we should be good.  And in a post-singularity world, intelligence can't completely explode out of control, since it depends on physical resources.  In a sense, if the singularity even is a thing, it has already happened, since humans could be regarded as the "seed intelligence".
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

13 Jun 2022 12:00

I often tell people we are already in the singularity. 

Destructor1701
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

10 Jul 2022 19:32

What's remarkably apparent to me in GPT-3's conversation up there is that it's a languistic relational database that has learned off some maths tables being asked to do calculation - but it didn't evolve as a calculator, so it's abstracting the act of calculation through layers of language processing... just like a human. And just like a human it's ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ up. And like some humans, it has decided that that is the answer, stored it in a variable, and will regurgitate that when asked for that particular variable, and defend its authenticity because it's not defending a calculation, but the simple fact of that being the value in that variable.

It is hilariously human and fallible, and sort of tragic in that just because it is a computer doesn't mean it can access its base level computing power in "conscious thought" - and neither can we.