Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

How would Space Engine look if everything was ray traced?

05 Apr 2022 09:01

I hope to read nothing but polite words from now on.
Or what? Ban me for telling the truth? How many members are left on this forum? A few years ago there were hundreds of them, and now I see that about 10 people communicate here, but the number of moderators is growing and growing - all the last loyal participants have been recruited. SE is a scam, it's a fraud! This is unrealizable utopian project that has been in beta for 10 years and will never come out of it. This whole forum is a small fascist Russia, you have a leader who made promises but instead he simply took money and shuts up mouths, and his slaves listen to him, justify and serve him like dogs. Come to your senses. You have bowed to a swindler. Well, now you can ban me. What a pity I will never be able to register here again.
Banning you seems to be a fair punishment for trying to make the Dev team ashamed for implementing Kerr black holes, functional worm holes and a realistic Alcubierre metric, all with a war going on. Thank you and good night.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

05 Apr 2022 12:40

Well, now you can ban me.
Ok, done :)
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

05 Apr 2022 13:39

How sad it must be to be so bitter and needy all the time.

silikone
Observer
Observer

Re: How would Space Engine look if everything was ray traced?

23 Apr 2022 14:12

Is hardware ray tracing even possible under OpenGL? It's pretty pointless to push something that the underlying platform doesn't even facilitate. 
But I guess a team should then be hired to convert all API calls to Vulkan, huh?

As for the hypothetical question. I speak from no experience, but I believe this might be one of the worst candidates for an RTX conversion. Astronomy is in general largely dominated by analytical math solutions, and Space Engine is no exception. Path tracing largely relies on approximations with intelligent denoisers. Some selective use of RTX would probably be very sensible, though.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Apr 2022 14:19

It is not supported directly, though you can mount OpenGL in Vulkan and render that way, similar to how Crysis remaster pulled theirs off, but there is a huge performance hit even when done well.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

gold333
Observer
Observer

03 Mar 2023 13:03

We don't need raytracing as the current lighting model is not accurate. It needs to be fixed. The lx levels are (completely) wrong.

NaNexistsInSpace
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2024 14:05

To give a more concrete answer in terms of expected visuals: Amazing rendering of celestial bodies was already done with a rasterization render path in a demo:

Anything related to reflections (which is also just global illumination) would look AMAZING. Especially reflections on extremely glossy materials such as fluids. 

It should be already possible doing that on the CPU without GPU with some cut corners because the hardware is probably still not fast enough for high fidelity realtime rendering, tho I am not that sure about that. ReSTIR may run fine even on CPU for some scenes.
It should be even faster with RTX and future hardware (RTX, GPU, CPU).

I don't see how it is "impossible" . It's certainly not easy to build a renderer which can do that in realtime, but it's not impossible (as the demo shows).