Ultimate space simulation software

Davide
Observer
Observer

Re: Future of space engine

13 Oct 2022 07:10

After the general relativity, what could be the next big update? Do you get use to working about volumetric clouds?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Oct 2022 12:59

As far as I know, devs mentioned shadows, which is necessary for clouds anyway
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Oct 2022 16:01

As was discussed during the last Q&A event the next focus we will be moving into once GR goes to the main build is shadows, they will definitely be required for volumetric clouds. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

ras09191
Observer
Observer

15 Oct 2022 11:20

As was discussed during the last Q&A event the next focus we will be moving into once GR goes to the main build is shadows, they will definitely be required for volumetric clouds. 
So it isnt 0.991 then?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Dec 2022 19:29

Here's a reasonable question, Doc.  How long do you think it will be before the GPU requirements of Space Engine (running at 1080P), become too much for a 6GB card to handle-- and when do you think the minimum requirements will move beyond the 1060 6GB?  I'm actually considering getting a 3060 12 GB card but I'll still only run it at 1080P (I also run 4 browsers with lots of tabs though across 2 monitors).  I run the sim on Ultra settings.  Do you foresee a time coming soon (within the next 3 year say) when the 1060 6GB won't be able to run it on Ultra settings at 1080P?

The reason why I've been slow to part with my 1060 6GB card is it was the last one (to my knowledge) with two DVI ports (and both of my screens are DVI).  I have a third screen that I bought a couple of years ago but dont use yet and that's also DVI.  I did buy two HDMI to DVI converters but from what I've seen even having two HDMI ports on a video card is a rarity-- I think only ASUS has that, having multiple DisplayPort connections is much more common than having multiple HDMI.  And now DVI ports have disappeared completely from the back of video cards!

Also wanted to ask if some subtle changes were made to the flight/space simulator.  It's much easier to hold space ships in long duration flights over planets with minimal changes to the controls (autopilot works much better)-- the hover engines now automatically compensate for when the main engine speed is cut down.  I also like the new tool to help position the 8 possible cameras around ships, the new aid helps in proper positioning and angular directioning of the cameras!

Josh Mcquin
Observer
Observer

28 Aug 2023 05:45

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, Segoe UI, Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Noto Sans, sans-serif, Helvetica Neue, Arial, Apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol, Noto Color Emoji]Software development plans can vary widely based on the developer's vision, user feedback, technological advancements, and market demands[/font]

Pyrpyr
Observer
Observer

21 Sep 2023 08:31

Quantum gravity might be a game changer if we figure it out.