Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrobiology Poll

15 Mar 2020 08:03

The thing I have doubts about is the long term viability of technological life....they do bad things to the planet and the only real answer to that is a space-faring civilization.  I believe that we are a ticking time bomb unless we do that ourselves and not being able to colonize space because of the vast distances involved and not being able to harness the necessary energy to make it happen might have caused the demise of most other sentient species.
One can argue that if a species finds the energy needed for interstellar travel, it also becomes able to destroy itself, and maybe it's inevitable, if it only takes a few bad individuals, or possibly it can happen totally unintended, like a scientific experiment bound to go very wrong in the search of an abundant energy source.  What if there is another type of supernova that we've misclassified: civilisations discovering the ultimate energy source...
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Astrobiology Poll

17 Mar 2020 05:36

The thing I have doubts about is the long term viability of technological life....they do bad things to the planet and the only real answer to that is a space-faring civilization.  I believe that we are a ticking time bomb unless we do that ourselves and not being able to colonize space because of the vast distances involved and not being able to harness the necessary energy to make it happen might have caused the demise of most other sentient species.
One can argue that if a species finds the energy needed for interstellar travel, it also becomes able to destroy itself, and maybe it's inevitable, if it only takes a few bad individuals, or possibly it can happen totally unintended, like a scientific experiment bound to go very wrong in the search of an abundant energy source.  What if there is another type of supernova that we've misclassified: civilisations discovering the ultimate energy source...
Yes that can definitely happen.  The civilizations that has the longest should be the most peaceful, however a single accident could destroy even them.
I like your idea of underwater civilizations also, I could picture these being more adept at space travel simply because of the environment they evolved in.  The drawback though (like we see with dolphins, which are highly evolved), is no evolution of hands or an opposable thumb, which seems to be critical in making and using tools.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrobiology Poll

17 Mar 2020 11:52

The drawback though (like we see with dolphins, which are highly evolved), is no evolution of hands or an opposable thumb, which seems to be critical in making and using tools.
Octopuses have highly usable "limbs".  And some are pretty intelligent as well.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Astrobiology Poll

17 Mar 2020 12:33

If octopuses had a longer life span and a social structure, they would probably be the dominant intelligence on earth.
But octopuses are loners, every octopus has to learn everything on its own. And he doesn't have much time to do it.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 02:13

Hard to shape metal tools without a lot of heat, though. Hard to make that happen under water. Industry and technology are never likely to evolve.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 04:29

Questions:
The poll consists of 14 questions/statements you have to rate with a score from 0 to 20 (0 meaning "I absolutely don't believe so" and 20 meaning "I'm certain about it").

A1) There is or has been extraterrestrial life in the Universe
   B1) There is or has been extraterrestrial life in the Milky Way galaxy
   C1) There is or has been extraterrestrial life in the Solar System
   A2) There is or has been extraterrestrial complex life in the Universe

B2) There is or has been extraterrestrial complex life in the Milky Way galaxy
   C2) There is or has been extraterrestrial complex life in the Solar System

A3) There is or has been extraterrestrial intelligent life in the Universe

B3) There is or has been extraterrestrial intelligent life in the Milky Way galaxy
   C3) There is or has been extraterrestrial intelligent life in the Solar System

A4) There are different extraterrestrial intelligences communicating with each other in the Milky Way galaxy
   B4) Extraterrestrial intelligence has attempted communication with us.
   A5) There are different extraterrestrial intelligences in contact (physically interacting) with each other in the Milky Way galaxy
   B5) Extraterrestrial intelligence has visited Earth sometime in its past (since the origin of our planet)
   C5) Extraterrestrial intelligence is currently present in our planet or visits frequently (either with us realizing or not)
I may be a little late on the scene, but I figured I should put my ten cents in, as this is a prime interest of mine.

EDIT: I've added some rationale to my results.

A1 19  There is/has been ETL in uni
B1 19  There is/has been ETL in MW
C1 10 There is/has been ETL in SS
(Statistically speaking, I find it highly unlikely that we are totally alone in the galaxy, let alone the universe. I am not absolutely sure however, as no-one truly can. As for life of some sort in our solar-system besides our own, I think it decently plausible that it would be possible, either in the present or in the past).

A2 17  There is/has been complex ETL in uni
B2 15  There is/has been complex ETL in MW
C2 8  There is/has been complex ETL in SS
(I think lots of Great Filters apply to complex life arising - but it does seem quite possible. Regarding complex life in the solar-system, I gave it a higher score since I take into account the possibility of life existing on Mars when it was more habitable).

A3 18  There is/has been ETI in uni
B3 14 There is/has been ETI in MW
C3 2  There is/has been ETI in SS
(I subscribe to a Great Filters-type approach to this question, and think the issue is further complicated by any number of factors, such as additional late Filters. With C3, I include something along the lines of visiting ET sleeper probes or something similar, whether biological or not).

A4 12  There are current ETI comms in MW
B4 8 There have been ETI comms attempted with us
(We have no idea how hard it is to communicate between species and between stars, but the technology that would seem to be a likely medium we already have or can conceptualize. I would say that the vast distances between burgeoning civilizations would hinder meaningful communication, so that most communication is fairly indirect. Beyond these, there could be vastly more effective ways we haven't thought of for communication. As for us, we haven't be monitoring the skies for very long or very thoroughly - so it's plausible that distant contact could have occurred without us noticing or even being around to notice).

A5 7  There is physical contact between ETI's in MW
B5 4  There was physical contact between ETI and Earth in past
C5 2  There is currently ETI on Earth
(Space travel is obviously very hard, and so I think it would be exceptionally hard for ETIs to physically contact anybody else. On the other hand, highly advanced life could sneak in unobserved via any number of methods, provided that their hosts were less advanced than them. This is still unlikely though).

A friend of mine would also like to submit his opinion:
A1 18  There is/has been ETL in uni
B1 14  There is/has been ETL in MW
C1 10 There is/has been ETL in SS

A2 16  There is/has been complex ETL in uni
B2 14  There is/has been complex ETL in MW
C2 7  There is/has been complex ETL in SS

A3 13  There is/has been ETI in uni
B3 8 There is/has been ETI in MW
C3 1  There is/has been ETI in SS

A4 6  There are current ETI comms in MW
B4 3 There have been ETI comms attempted with us

A5 3  There is physical contact between ETI's in MW
B5 2  There was physical contact between ETI and Earth in past
C5 1  There is currently ETI on Earth
Last edited by Stellarator on 18 Mar 2020 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
Futurum Fusionem

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 06:48

I may be a little late on the scene, but I figured I should put my ten cents in, as this is a prime interest of mine.
Thank you! Never late. I want all possible memebers of this forum to think about it and show an answer.
I added him to the spreadsheet but I would like to know if your friend could be said to have similar characteristics of people in this forum, just to tag it in some way.
A-L-E-X:
I dont think it's possible to even guess one way or the other.  But I will try anyway :P
Thanks A-L-E-X, but if you are okay with it I would also like to have some numerical values for your answer.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 06:50

The drawback though (like we see with dolphins, which are highly evolved), is no evolution of hands or an opposable thumb, which seems to be critical in making and using tools.
Octopuses have highly usable "limbs".  And some are pretty intelligent as well.
But no opposable thumbs :(  what about squids, aren't they even smarter and change colors based on emotions and as a sophisticated form of communication- and they are social too!

Yes FFT I will fill it out after some more thought.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 08:33

I added him to the spreadsheet but I would like to know if your friend could be said to have similar characteristics of people in this forum, just to tag it in some way.
I would say that he is certainly the same type as the rest of us. He's uni educated, and into physics, computing and futurism. Definitely open to the idea of extraterrestrial life in any form. I of course have a similar outlook, although perhaps a touch more optimistic (as the numbers show :) )!
Futurum Fusionem

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 10:07

Perfect. The poll is also on imgur right now and I'm going to extend it somewhere else so this is just to tag from which community each answer came from (not to make any elitist disctinction because that's nonsese) just in case we reach enought answers to have some in depth results about where people is more optimistic and where not. Thank you!

Wendelinefroger
Observer
Observer

Astrobiology Poll

18 Mar 2020 21:16

• A1) 19B1) 12C1) 4A2) 19B2) 11C2) 2A3) 15B3) 4C3) 1A4) 2B4) 4A5) 2B5) 1C5) 1
Wendelinefroger is my favorite asteroid - used to be Banana

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

Astrobiology Poll

03 Apr 2020 16:51

This is all based on my personal beliefs, these answers may seem very outlandish to what others may believe here. Alot of people here are very analytical and scientific. I believe in alien abductions, the supernatural and all that. If you disagree with me, that's perfectly fine but this is what I believe.

Keep in mind I'm not here to debate. My answers differ quite a lot from the others here.

A1 - 20
B1 - 20 
C1 - 20 
A2 - 20
B2 - 20
C2 - 19
A3 - 20
B3 - 20
C3 - 15
A4-  20
B4 - 20
A5 - 20
B5 - 20
C5 - 20

Given the vast timescales of the universe and the sheer vastness of it's size, I am absolutely certain about life existing in intelligent and lower forms in the universe, in our galaxy. In our solar system is a great possibility though the other worlds in our solar system seem a little more doubtful. I believe there are constructions on the Moon, Mars, and other objects in our solar system.

I also believe our governments are hiding the truth about what is really out there in order to maintain their systems of control and to keep order in society. Now the extent of which aliens are on our Earth, and what they are doing here, I'm not sure. UFO's are a real phenomenon that can sometimes be explained away by ball lightning, government testing of highly advanced technologies, and I believe in alien craft being sighted as well. 

I also believe in the existence of other civilizations on this planet before us, and underground currently. 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Astrobiology Poll

03 Apr 2020 19:10

I believe in alien abductions, the supernatural and all that. If you disagree with me, that's perfectly fine but this is what I believe.
I've just added the last answers to the spreadsheet. It's perfect with what you answered Cantra. The aim of this poll is not to know the truth about the issue (which we can't tell by popular vote) nor to know how far off people are in their predictions (which we can't also tell if we currently don't know the real answers) but to understand what people think (understand human perspective and expectations) and what is the general opinion around this topic. You totally delivered, so thank you.

I'm eager to know SpaceEngineer's and HarbingerDawn's answer now for some reason :D

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

Astrobiology Poll

03 Apr 2020 19:35

I believe in alien abductions, the supernatural and all that. If you disagree with me, that's perfectly fine but this is what I believe.
I've just added the last answers to the spreadsheet. It's perfect with what you answered Cantra. The aim of this poll is not to know the truth about the issue (which we can't tell by popular vote) nor to know how far off people are in their predictions (which we can't also tell if we currently don't know the real answers) but to understand what people think (understand human perspective and expectations) and what is the general opinion around this topic. You totally delivered, so thank you.

I'm eager to know SpaceEngineer's and HarbingerDawn's answer now for some reason :D
When it comes to stuff like this I'm extremely interested in it. It's probably one of the things I am most interested in when it comes to everything in general. These things are what make life worth living, to think about, and to explore the possibilities of our universe.
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

MadAstronomer
Observer
Observer

Astrobiology Poll

22 Feb 2021 03:18

You've created a great poll. I expected to see the trite questionnaire with copy-pasted yes-no questions, but you really surprised me. I just want to ask why didn't you ask us about the existence of extraterrestrial life outside the Solar System or the Milky Way galaxy?