So I kind of forgot about this old project for a while and realized I never did post that update. That's my bad, lol. Life got busy, what can I say. But after a comment on my YouTube video reminded me people might still find this useful, I decided better late than never. The 1.2 version of the converter is leaps and bounds better than the last public version. It turns out that my first attempt at the equations got some things embarrassingly
wrong. I'll credit that to my inexperience. Whoops.
That being said, the perfectionist in me is still left wishing the final product was better. There just isn't a 1-1 translation from US to SE. And I haven't tested it a whole lot recently. I just wanted to get this posted. Also, I didn't work on this alone. The very helpful Roshex wrote basically all of the code that "classifies" plants and stars (and then some). It works much better than mine did, and it looks like magic to my eyes, so I left it the way it was. And I'm very grateful for the work he volunteered to put in.
Anyways, this is probably the last time I'll update this. It isn't getting much better than it is (unless someone fixes obliquity, then hit me up). I wanted to add some QoL things, like planet colors, but SE doesn't play nice with colors anymore. Feel free to take a look at the GitHub page (https://github.com/SethFusion/US2-to-SE-Converter
), and if you see something you think could be better, you have my full permission to fork and post your changes. Universe Sandbox's file structure changes almost every time they update, so it will likely be necessary for someone in the community to update for compatibility. The groundwork is laid though.
Glad I could contribute to the community, and I hope a few people find this useful.
There are instructions in the readme file when you download it, but a video format can be found here:
Remember that a file from US2 is just an instance of the system at the time of export, so the values converted will NEVER be 100% accurate. Especially if you have a system that is broken at the time of export (like one planet crashing into another), this converter will give you extremely weird results.
Binary orbits DO NOT work. At least, not completely. The program will generally calculate the semi-major axis (mostly) correctly, but all other values are useless. If you have binary orbits in US2, SE will render them after conversion, but they will look wrong. You will have to open the .sc file and manually edit those values if you want them to look correct. I wish there was something I could do about it, but I don't know if the problem is with the formulas or if binary orbits are too complex to calculate with just an instance of information. And I'm not a physics major, by any stretch of the word, so if anyone has suggestions please feel free to let me know.
As always, if something goes wrong, or if you have problems other than weird binary orbits, please tell me about it and we will fix the problem together. I'm sure you will have issues, but for the general case system, hopefully, there will not be any problems.
And if you would like to make fun of my code, you can find it on GitHub: