Ultimate space simulation software

Adriana Istrate
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Re: Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

29 Nov 2022 18:26

Alright, but I still don't understand why it glows when it is so cold.
I made it more eccentric and it is now completely red on both sides at -182.31 °C.Image

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

29 Nov 2022 18:46

I made it more eccentric and it is now completely red on both sides at -182.31 °C.
That is strange, the planet editor tends to act weirdly when editing live.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Adriana Istrate
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

30 Nov 2022 09:40

I made it more eccentric and it is now completely red on both sides at -182.31 °C.
That is strange, the planet editor tends to act weirdly when editing live.
I edited it in the .sc file, not the in-game editor.

gondor2222
Observer
Observer

02 Dec 2022 16:17

Seems to be some kind of massive bug with the greenhouse effect calculation for procedural planets:
Planet "Vulcan"
{
    ParentBody     "Alternate Sun"
    Class        "Desert"
    Mass        5.000
    Radius        10070
    AlbedoBond     0.06
    Atmosphere
    {
        Model         "Venus"
        Pressure     0.001

}

NoRings        true
    Orbit
    {
        RefPlane "Equator"
        SemiMajorAxis 0.2
        Eccentricity 0.21
        Inclination 3
    }
}
When this planet is generated around a sunlike star, it has an insane 800+ degrees of greenhouse effect despite having only having an atmospheric pressure of 1e-3 atm. Increasing the atmosphere to e.g. 4 atm reduces the variable in temperature across the surface (more of the planet glows red) but seems to have no effect on the greenhouse effect. Attempting to specify a composition (even one that matches the auto-generated composition exactly) reduces the effect to a much more reasonable 13.9 degrees at about 4 atmospheres..

ramius345
Observer
Observer

Performance issues with 6950xt and latest stable 22.11.2 drivers

08 Dec 2022 16:19

Hi,

I've known about performance issues with AMD's Adrenalin drivers since 22.5.1.  It appears that they have made 22.11.2 the latest stable release of the drivers.  Would it be possible to address the texture loading performance problems that are occurring on the now latest stable drivers?

I also wanted to mention that playing the game in VR on the newest drivers gives all the menus and planets a red tint inside of my HP Reverb G2.  There is not an issue with the 22.5.1 drivers.  The colors appear normal on my monitor (menus are the correct color) but are incorrect in the headset.

Everything else in the game appears fine so it will be hard to convey the performance problem with a screenshot.  The color problem also only occurs in the headset.
Attachments
se.log
(261.7 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
latest_stable_drivers.png

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Dec 2022 17:09

The 7950x processor is better-- you should upgrade.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

11 Dec 2022 19:55

Not really appropriate to tell someone in this thread to buy a top of the line piece of hardware, especially one that costs almost $600 when people do just fine with hardware from 5 years ago.

The issue pointed out is more graphics driver related anyway so upgrading the processor won't do anything.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

12 Dec 2022 03:52

Not really appropriate to tell someone in this thread to buy a top of the line piece of hardware, especially one that costs almost $600 when people do just fine with hardware from 5 years ago.

The issue pointed out is more graphics driver related anyway so upgrading the processor won't do anything.
Oh thanks, Doc.  I'm overly excited about that processor because I read a review in which it indicated that you can run it even on air cooling because of the way it's designed, the processor will always stay below overheating temperatures.  In the review they even stuck an old AMD stock cooler on it and it worked fine and stayed below overheating temperatures.

Speaking of hardware from 5 years ago, I'm wondering if my GPU is my bottleneck.  I'm running SE on one of my two 1280x1024 screens with a 1060 GTX card that has 6 GB VRAM.  I want to keep this card around because I have dual DVI displays and this card is the latest I know of which has two DVI ports.  I also have a third DVI display-- that one is 1080P (which I haven't even used yet.)  I bought two DVI to HDMI adaptors but not sure how well those work.  With either ultra or high preset the game always crashes in flight simulator mode, especially when switching cameras as I fly over a planet (I've added 8 cameras to two of my ships).  I went down to medium preset and the program has been running fine in flight mode for 6 straight days now (knock on wood!) even switching cameras every few hours.  (Although it lags for a minute or so when I first switch cameras after a long time of not doing so, but it doesn't lag at all when I switch them every few minutes.)  I thought 6 GB was plenty of VRAM for a 1080P screen let alone a 1280x1024 screen to run it at high or ultra settings let alone the medium settings I am forced to run it with.  Could something other than VRAM be the reason it's been crashing at High or Ultra settings?

Onshin
Observer
Observer

18 Dec 2022 10:29

When i start the game, i have 1 fps in menu screen, the game reacts really slow. Ingame i have 144fps till i move near an object, then fps drops back down to 1 till i move away. does someone know whats wrong? AMD Graficcard

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Dec 2022 05:10

When i start the game, i have 1 fps in menu screen, the game reacts really slow. Ingame i have 144fps till i move near an object, then fps drops back down to 1 till i move away. does someone know whats wrong? AMD Graficcard
Try to set graphics quality to medium, that worked for me and kept the game from crashing.

EventHorizonFr
Observer
Observer

24 Dec 2022 01:18

Hi there,

I have a trouble with exoplanets only (not with solar systems planets, weirdly) : some of them are blinking. They are not blinking very very often, but it's still annoying, and they continue to blink when I land on it.

My drivers are ok (and I had this problem since first day I install SE, while my drivers wasn't up to date ;).

Here is my log (pastbin link)

Thx

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Dec 2022 05:22

My planet surfaces aren't blinking but I noticed when celestial objects go in and out of clouds or are near the horizon they sometimes flash and there are also sometimes rows of tiny dots that appear from time to time.  This happens when I land on or am flying over a planet.  I take it this isn't normal behavior?

Onshin
Observer
Observer

26 Dec 2022 03:05

Try to set graphics quality to medium, that worked for me and kept the game from crashing.
But i shouldnt have any problems to play it on high graphics. My Graphiccard is completly fine, i play Bf2042 on high.

Onshin
Observer
Observer

26 Dec 2022 03:09

But i shouldnt have any problems to play it on high graphics. My Graphiccard is completly fine, i play Bf2042 on high.

Update:

I changed on medium and now i have 4 - 8 fps instead of 1. For some reason i have this lags only when i get closer to objects. If i leave the game in menu screen for a while then i stops to lag in the menu screen. In game not though. PLS HELP

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Dec 2022 10:04

How much VRAM on your graphics card?
I run a benchmarking program called MSI Afterburner which shows graphics card and memory and cpu stats in real time on the program window.  My card has 6 GB video memory which should be fine for my 1280x1024 displays (I have two displays but I use only one for SE, the other is for surfing the web or photo editing.)  But using either Ultra or High graphics mode it was telling me I was at the limit and even slightly over 6 GB VRAM being used.  When I switched to Medium the VRAM usage went down to 5.5 GB still near the limit but safely under it so I don't get crashes anymore.  I think nearly 6 GB VRAM usage is a lot for a 1280x1024 window!