Ultimate space simulation software

Sledge
Observer
Observer

Re: Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

15 Mar 2022 21:23

Can only run 990.39.  Everything else crashes my system to a BSOD, various errors.  Windows 10 pro 64 bit, admittedly old Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU X9770 (passed minimum benchmarking comparison at the start of the thread), 8GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB.   Works great with the earlier version.

Would love to build and craft a spaceship to learn to fly but can't do that with the earlier version.  I posted on the subreddit but only got recommendations to replace hardware and an earful from some schmuck who thought he knew everything.  He kept insisting SE was not triggering the BSOD which I only get when running SE.  I think he was short a couple of cards in his deck.

Something in the releases beyond 990.39 gives my system grief, I have tried every version available on Steam.  Any help is appreciated.

Love the program.  Stunning visuals.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Mar 2022 06:17

Hey guys I need some help with this....for some reason I can't load textures so objects appear to be single color (monochromatic) and when I land on them I can't see any details.  Everything was fine before and I'm even using the same drivers.  Do I need to update the drivers or do something else to get this to work properly?
texture.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Mar 2022 12:05

I did everything I could think of, rebooting, updating to the latest drivers (from 2/14/22), did a fresh clean install, and it automatically redid the shaders cache, all of that, and yet I keep getting the same error as above.  What caused this and how can it be fixed?
scr09886.jpg

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Mar 2022 14:09

Please upload your se.log file from the spaceengine system folder
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Mar 2022 14:52

Can I upload it while it is still running?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Mar 2022 14:56

It's too large won't upload, can I upload the shader log file instead, that's much smaller and since that is where the problem is would that be better to upload?
shader.log
(112.87 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

19 Mar 2022 17:23

This should work, I shared the log file at this link.

jaloob
Observer
Observer

20 Mar 2022 00:08

I'm having trouble with textures on scaled planets, the textures wont fully load and instead just load when I'm looking at them and unload when I'm not. This creates really annoying textures that aren't fully loaded. Examples below. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qA3jgVTZRiEPXl4U1ik9l6tYQLIjXFci/view    [url=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k8zr1O_cNrUCIHzda0QrTTmDIg7JmlnG/view]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k8zr1O_cNrUCIHzda0QrTTmDIg7JmlnG/view[/url]
If anyone has any solutions that would be great!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Mar 2022 00:52

Looks like a lot of people are having these texture problems.  I have them on stars and planets.  I can see procedural planets but when I land there or even from space, they look featureless (as do other planets and stars-- which actually look black at the surface, as if they are being totally eclipsed!)  So if it's not a driver issue and it's not a new update issue since 1865 was working just fine a few months ago, the only other thing I can think of is it's a workshop add-on issue?  I did add a few since the last time I used the program towards the end of last year, so what I did is unsubscribe from any add-on I added since January began (except the Centaurus X-1 fix, since many have that add-on and it seems to work fine).  I also see that one of my add-ons from last year (the Milky Way Galaxy enhanced version) was updated in March, should I unsubscribe from that too?  I haven't yet and I'm not even sure unsubscribing deletes the add-on?  I'm keeping all of my unsubscribed add-ons as favorites so I can re-add them later if I want any of them back.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Mar 2022 11:08

the only other thing I can think of is it's a workshop add-on issue?
you do have some workshop addons spewing ERROR: messages in your log, you also have addons directly placed into your spaceengine /addons folder, for example "addons/rodrigosmod098NEW (1).pak, which I guess could be not compatible with the latest steam version and should be removed. There's an addon somewhere doing something wrong with Mars, making Mars-related addons not finding the object "Mars".
It's very likely there are some errors in addons causing a cascade of issues. The only way to be 100% sure and find culprits is removing them, add them back one at a time, deleting cache for each one, and check the log for when it throws lines with ERROR: messages again. Especially Rodrigo's mods, the error you have shown before happens where there are mods with possibly incompatible shaders with the latest version.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Mar 2022 11:10

If anyone has any solutions that would be great!
the example is not publicly available for me.
Please attach your se.log from the SpaceEngine \system folder.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Mar 2022 00:05

you do have some workshop addons spewing ERROR: messages in your log, you also have addons directly placed into your spaceengine /addons folder, for example "addons/rodrigosmod098NEW (1).pak, which I guess could be not compatible with the latest steam version and should be removed. There's an addon somewhere doing something wrong with Mars, making Mars-related addons not finding the object "Mars".
It's very likely there are some errors in addons causing a cascade of issues. The only way to be 100% sure and find culprits is removing them, add them back one at a time, deleting cache for each one, and check the log for when it throws lines with ERROR: messages again. Especially Rodrigo's mods, the error you have shown before happens where there are mods with possibly incompatible shaders with the latest version.
Everything was working fine with the add-ons prior to January so what I did was unsubscribe all the ones that I installed in January and later and I still got the message-- repeatedly.

Were you able to tell what it could be from the logs or should I unsubscribe to all the add-ons?  I have 65 favorited.  I'm not sure that's all of them though, I may have added some I didn't favorite and I have no idea how to find those.

One other thing it could be that I thought about today.  There was a new Windows 10 build update that I received this year.  Could it be that?  Whatever it is, it has to be from this year, because it was all working fine all of last year, all the way to December.

The date 11/4/2020 for the build isn't right, I know I just got this installed in January.
10hme.jpg
10hme.jpg (21.58 KiB) Viewed 971 times

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Mar 2022 00:10

Is unsubscribing from the add-ons enough or do I need to physically go into those folders and remove the add-ons (for example Rodrigo's Mod)?  I can do that.  Also, is there a quick way to clear the add-ons' cache-- like, for example, after I delete the add-ons directly from the folder (or unsubscribe or both) should I reinstall the latest video driver (clean install), will that clear all the cache automatically when I rerun SE for the first time after the reinstall of the video driver?  And should I get rid of all the add-ons, even ones I installed from before January (when I wasn't having any issues)?  Thanks!

As far as Mars is concerned, I added the Mars Rovers mod in January and I did unsubscribe from that along with the rest of the 2022 mods I added but doing that had no effect on this error.  Should I keep them unsubscribed regardless?

Should I remove just Rodrigo's Mod from this folder or others too? The planet and ship add-ons were working fine before this.  I don't actually delete the files outright, I just move them into an external folder on my other hard drive.

edit- I removed the two 098 add-ons (Rodrigo's Mod and the Mountain Mod) as well as Teegardens fictional planetary add-on.  I left the others intact.  Do I need to clear the cache or should I just see what happens with what I've done so far?
addons.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Mar 2022 01:18

I just tested it with removing Rodrigo's Mod 098, Mountains 098 and Teegarden's Fictional and that worked!  I got one new error message on the initial start up saying that Rodrigo's Mod BETA was nonfunctional (I suppose that's because the workshop add-on was no longer working since I removed that file) and the message asked me if I wanted to restart with  the workshop add-on disabled and I clicked Yes and it restarted without the add-on and SE works fine now :)  I then exited and restarted SE to make sure it still works fine and it does without any error messages on startup!  Does this mean I don't need to go into my Steam workshop and unsubscribe from the add-on because the program automatically disabled it from now on (even when there are updates to either the add-on or to SE)?  I'll leave the other two add-ons removed too, because it sounds like Mountains 098 wasn't even meant for this version of SE and I already have Teegarden's V2 add-on so I dont think I would need Teegarden's Fictional add-on anyway?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Mar 2022 07:34

I should have specified with "delete cache" I mean the folder named "cache" into the spaceengine folder. When you delete the cache folder SE will calculate the content again, which is the reason we delete the cache folder.