Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Re: Show off your work

10 Aug 2022 03:50

ah it's beautiful-- I noticed some coloring in it!   I also saw the local time there was around midnight?  Will the early Perseids be the best, since the moon isn't going to be full for a few days?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Aug 2022 08:00

ah it's beautiful-- I noticed some coloring in it!   I also saw the local time there was around midnight?  Will the early Perseids be the best, since the moon isn't going to be full for a few days?
I don't think the full moon is such an issue.  It only obscures the faint meteors, but those you want to see are the bright ones, which will be visible regardless.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Aug 2022 03:01

The bigger issue here were the high clouds, tonight seems to be better, but the night of the peak they were mostly obscured by the high clouds.

Marmontes
Observer
Observer

16 Aug 2022 08:01

I recently started to do repairs in my entire huge two-story house. I'm planning a lot of major changes. The hardest part will be on the second floor. All bedrooms are located on the second floor. In our case, these are the sons' rooms and my wife's bedroom. Bathrooms are now necessarily made on the second floor. It's convenient, no need to run around the floors. And it's all going to have to be broken up to do something better. It will be necessary to take new radiators, more powerful, I found a couple of options, And two bathrooms are not a luxury, but a necessity so as not to stand in line when going to school, to work, and just for a walk.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 Oct 2022 07:58

A picture I took today with my phone, when I had to drive my daughter from training to school.  I think it came out pretty neatly with the fog and everything.  She said, it was like two completely different worlds, diving from the warm sun into the cold mist in a few seconds.
20221026.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

WastReal
Observer
Observer

01 Nov 2022 11:10

Hello Everyone! I'm Karol and I'am a music producer called "WastReal" I will want to show You my work that i made with music video created in Space Engine onto one of my released works. Please Enjoy and comment me what You think. :)
KNWCW

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

07 Nov 2022 00:53

It took some effort to work through the data for the meteor cluster that appeared over southern Scandinavia a week ago.  I've compiled the observations here.  Now people can get involved to figure out the meteoroid story.  I think there will be a paper on this event.  24 meteors in less than 10 seconds, 23 of which within 5 seconds.  The radiant was in Lynx, and there apparently have been some observations before of meteors sharing this radiant.  Whether it can be regarded as a new meteor shower, the Lyncids, remains to be seen. 

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Dec 2022 20:08

Wow, amazing!  I recounted my experience of seeing an unexpected twin cluster of meteors in Orion in late December in 2019 in the Meteors, Asteroids and Comets thread.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Feb 2023 07:22

I made this video which might be instructive for understanding how we can detect distant earthquakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMCyxXfAgaM

This is a recording of my seismometer during the effects of a 7.5 afterquake in Turkey 3200 km away whilst the surface waves were rolling in. 

Imagine a weight suspended in a 100 meter cord.  Then there can be slight movements in the ground and but the weight will not instantly follow.  We can detect the displacement between the weight and the ground and then quite easily detect ground movements even if they're too slow to be felt.  This is how distant earthquakes can be detected.  However, a 100 meter tall pendulum is not practical, so instead we can use a delicately balanced boom to mimic a tall pendulum.  We would also want to dampen the swinging of the weight with the help of magnets to get a cleaner recording of the ground movement.

In this video at 10x speed the ground movement is clearly visible.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

06 Feb 2023 07:41

This is ironic!  We just had an earthquake this morning (only 3.8) in the opposite part of the state-- in Buffalo!
Can such a weaker distant earthquake also be detected using this method, Mid?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

07 Feb 2023 13:54

This is ironic!  We just had an earthquake this morning (only 3.8) in the opposite part of the state-- in Buffalo!
A 3.8 is way too weak for a camera observation like this.  But this instrument itself can detect such quakes up to about 2000 km away.  Buffalo is about 6000 km away for me.  A magnitude 5 quake, however, should be detectable at this distance, though the ground movement could be less than a micrometer.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

08 Feb 2023 04:55

A 3.8 is way too weak for a camera observation like this.  But this instrument itself can detect such quakes up to about 2000 km away.  Buffalo is about 6000 km away for me.  A magnitude 5 quake, however, should be detectable at this distance, though the ground movement could be less than a micrometer.
Then you could have detected the August 2011 earthquake we had here, it is the only one I have ever felt in NYC!  The zoo animals were behaving very oddly 30 min before the earthquake at the National Zoo in DC, it was noted by many people there before the event occurred.  Interesting how they can feel the quake before it happens.  The earthquake was a 5.8 and it was centered in the Carolinas I believe in August 2011.  My house was shaking up here and water was moving around in the tub and toilet.  A week after that we were hit by a hurricane (ironically the same combo of earthquake and hurricane happened in September 1944, that one was also a 5.8 but centered in the Adirondacks in NY, in 1944 it was thought the Nazis were bombing NY when that happened.)

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

08 Feb 2023 07:03

Can I create a topic about the space game I'm developing? I wanted to give away some keys so people could try it and give me their impressions. If it's considered spam I'll just find some more appropriate ways to do it :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Feb 2023 08:34

Then you could have detected the August 2011 earthquake we had here, it is the only one I have ever felt in NYC!  The zoo animals were behaving very oddly 30 min before the earthquake at the National Zoo in DC, it was noted by many people there before the event occurred.  Interesting how they can feel the quake before it happens.  The earthquake was a 5.8 and it was centered in the Carolinas I believe in August 2011.  My house was shaking up here and water was moving around in the tub and toilet.  A week after that we were hit by a hurricane (ironically the same combo of earthquake and hurricane happened in September 1944, that one was also a 5.8 but centered in the Adirondacks in NY, in 1944 it was thought the Nazis were bombing NY when that happened.)
Yes, here is what I recorded that day 2011-08-23 from 17:40 - 19:40 UTC.  Clear enough, but there was quote a bit of background noise that day.
x.png
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Perceptor
Observer
Observer

12 Feb 2023 10:48

I spent some time working with neural networks to show what SE would look like if it was a real game with clouds, water, shadows and various effects.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg