Ultimate space simulation software

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

14 Feb 2022 15:40

NRK (Norwegian national TV) joined me when I mounted the above mentioned cameras which was broadcast today:

[youtube]e8FNtnz7UVA[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Show off your work

18 Feb 2022 20:29

NRK (Norwegian national TV) joined me when I mounted the above mentioned cameras which was broadcast today
Nice video and great views up there! By the way, what are we seeing at 3:04 in the video? A clearing in the clouds or an ice halo? 

And speaking of ice halos, we had a pretty spectacular sunset here today with a gorgeous sun pillar ice halo to boot. It sure drew in a lot of spectators to stop along the road for photos.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

20 Feb 2022 12:24

By the way, what are we seeing at 3:04 in the video? A clearing in the clouds or an ice halo? 
It was a sunny day, but winds pushing the air up the mountainside makes fog frequent at the summit.  It can be sunny at one moment and thick fog 20 seconds later, or something between.  What you see in that video is reflection from an icy lake below, I think, when the blanket of fog was thin.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

22 Feb 2022 09:02

Once the cameras were mounted at the mountain summit mentioned above, the weather cleared a bit, and I've now created a panorama with video from three of the cameras to capture a bit of the atmosphere of the site.  Watch the result on YouTube. I'm not sure if anyone is going to watch the entire 21 minutes.  This is slow TV, but I find it surprisingly satisfying to watch the empty scenery and blowing snow.  It looks pretty good on a three monitor setup in high resolution.  Sometimes when the fog lifts I connect to the live stream from one of these cameras (unfortunately, the stitching process is slow and can't be done in realtime) and let the video run in the background. The scenery keeps changing with the wind and light.

[youtube]iU-bfb_d4u0[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

23 Feb 2022 04:32

Once the cameras were mounted at the mountain summit mentioned above, the weather cleared a bit, and I've now created a panorama with video from three of the cameras to capture a bit of the atmosphere of the site.  Watch the result on YouTube. I'm not sure if anyone is going to watch the entire 21 minutes.  This is slow TV, but I find it surprisingly satisfying to watch the empty scenery and blowing snow.  It looks pretty good on a three monitor setup in high resolution.  Sometimes when the fog lifts I connect to the live stream from one of these cameras (unfortunately, the stitching process is slow and can't be done in realtime) and let the video run in the background. The scenery keeps changing with the wind and light.

[youtube]iU-bfb_d4u0[/youtube]
Wow, this is amazing-- what software do you use to create the panorama, is it Hugin?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

23 Feb 2022 04:55

what software do you use to create the panorama, is it Hugin?
Yes.  Scripted using panotools, to be more precise.  It does a good job, but is a tad slow, so not so well suited for videos.  These 21 minutes took nearly a full day on my PC to put together, but the result looks pretty seamless.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

26 Feb 2022 23:06

wow thanks, I am thinking of doing the same thing, and you have an advanced computer so I should expect the same.

Jimbo Jambo
Observer
Observer

Show off your work

01 Mar 2022 22:51

I'm looking for some critique on my interplanetary cargo hauler. I made it with the intent to possibly mod it into the game, but I also want to get a much better understanding of hard sci-fi spacecraft design.
ringship_render_threequarters.jpg
More images
► Show Spoiler
Here are my concerns.

Part order
► Show Spoiler
Radiators
► Show Spoiler
AG ring
► Show Spoiler
Other details
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Jimbo Jambo on 13 Jul 2022 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: Show off your work

22 Mar 2022 01:40

Vernal equinox is here and I made this timelapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-x_q8FDXHs
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Jul 2022 02:04

NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

22 Jul 2022 00:47

Noctilucent clouds: 
Lovely! Haven't spotted any from here yet, but fingers crossed.

We did have a neat pair of sundogs/parhelia here the other day. Normally I don't pay them too much attention, but these ones were a bit more vivid and interesting than usual, one of them even looking like a cartoon version of a flaming meteor. :)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 Jul 2022 00:44

Another night of noctilucent clouds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jxhm2HkQAI

And the nights have become dark enough for stars to be visible again.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Aug 2022 02:40

The nights are getting dark again.  Aurora and noctilucent clouds (drowning somewhat in the twilight of the northern horizon):
y.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

08 Aug 2022 06:19

wow it's breathtaking!  Perseid season is here again, it's just too bad we have to deal with a "super moon"... is it just my memory or do we have "bad moons" closer to the peak of the Perseids more often than not?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Aug 2022 09:04

wow it's breathtaking!  Perseid season is here again, it's just too bad we have to deal with a "super moon"... is it just my memory or do we have "bad moons" closer to the peak of the Perseids more often than not?
Selective memory... The Perseids are here.  Not a great shower here because of short nights, but here's one from the same site, but towards the south:
x.jpg
The bright "star" is Jupiter.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI