Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

17 Apr 2021 15:56

Today's sunset behind Håteigen, Norway (1670 masl), as seen from Gaustatoppen (1870 masl).
[youtube]_8Mw55As5og[/youtube]
wow nice, originally i thought it was a scene from space engine lol.
I need your help on something, Mid.  Previously you helped me with OBS and recording videos, so maybe you could also help me with another issue.  I am making videos of SE using OBS Studio using the original SE sound track, but I also want to be able to do voice overs (as in narrate interesting space facts and trivia over the sound track)....is there any way to do this?  And if so, how?  I have the Audigy RX 7.1 sound card and I've been playing around in OBS' audio settings but I still don't know how to record both my voice live and a sound track at the same time.  I have a mic connected to the sound card mic output of course and I have the sound track setting set to "What U Hear" so I can record the sound track without actually having my speakers turned on.  This should be useful if I am going to record my own voice live during video recording, I won't be rerecording the sound track through my speakers lol.

I have Mic/Aux 1 set to What U Hear (this records music from the SE sound track from my sound card without having the speakers on)

I have Mic/Aux 2 set to Microphone for recording my voice while the sound track is also being recorded at the same time from Mic/Aux 1

But here's the thing, I can tell that the sound track is being recorded because the audio scale for that one is moving up and down but not the one for the mic.  Why is this? I should be able to record from both sources at the same time, right?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

17 Apr 2021 16:22

Maybe somebody else helped, because I don't even know what OBS Studio is.  I edit my videos in Kdenlive.  Here's the same sunset with a wider angle.  The distance to the mountain that the sun is setting behind is 95 km.
► Show Spoiler
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Show off your work

18 Apr 2021 14:24

I am making videos of SE using OBS Studio using the original SE sound track, but I also want to be able to do voice overs (as in narrate interesting space facts and trivia over the sound track)....is there any way to do this?  And if so, how?  I have the Audigy RX 7.1 sound card and I've been playing around in OBS' audio settings but I still don't know how to record both my voice live and a sound track at the same time.  I have a mic connected to the sound card mic output of course and I have the sound track setting set to "What U Hear" so I can record the sound track without actually having my speakers turned on.  This should be useful if I am going to record my own voice live during video recording, I won't be rerecording the sound track through my speakers lol.?
I do that all the time!
I did it long ago but, if I remember correctly, you just had to go to Edit / Advanced Audio Settings and there you should be able to see all your audio sources. The recordings will have multiple audio tracks (at least if you use MP4 or MKV as file formats). You can set a different track to each device so that, once you'll import the video on a video editor (I use Sony Vegas) you will see both tracks in the timeline and you can change the volume/apply effect on both independently.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

18 Apr 2021 14:30

I forgot to mention that this is also what a sunset on Hoth looks like.  The mountain seen is in the area used for filming the Hoth scenes in The Empire Strikes Back.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

18 Apr 2021 14:48

On my trip this weekend I also found this 4 meter block of ice interesting:
x.jpg
Somewhere inside this block of ice is a stevenson screen, which used to be the official weather station on this mountain.  This site suffers heavily from atmospheric icing.  It's a very windy place with frequent fog and the temperature stays below freezing for 8 months a year.  They now use more modern sensors less prone icing.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 05:04

I am making videos of SE using OBS Studio using the original SE sound track, but I also want to be able to do voice overs (as in narrate interesting space facts and trivia over the sound track)....is there any way to do this?  And if so, how?  I have the Audigy RX 7.1 sound card and I've been playing around in OBS' audio settings but I still don't know how to record both my voice live and a sound track at the same time.  I have a mic connected to the sound card mic output of course and I have the sound track setting set to "What U Hear" so I can record the sound track without actually having my speakers turned on.  This should be useful if I am going to record my own voice live during video recording, I won't be rerecording the sound track through my speakers lol.?
I do that all the time!
I did it long ago but, if I remember correctly, you just had to go to Edit / Advanced Audio Settings and there you should be able to see all your audio sources. The recordings will have multiple audio tracks (at least if you use MP4 or MKV as file formats). You can set a different track to each device so that, once you'll import the video on a video editor (I use Sony Vegas) you will see both tracks in the timeline and you can change the volume/apply effect on both independently.
Right, I can see a bunch of audio sources, some are "Desktop Audio" (2 of them are) which are sources from my motherboard's onboard audio, and some are Mic/Aux (4 of them are) which are sources from my Audigy RX sound card.  And I am doing MP4 so I should be able to do this.  Wait, I have to have a prerecorded track of my voice to add it in later?  I was thinking of doing a "live" narration over the sound track of SE that was already playing as I'm recording the video. Is this possible to do in OBS?
I can get the sound track of SE recorded just fine using "What U Hear" so it records the SE soundtrack along with game play but what I want to do is simultaneously record my voice as I'm playing and already recording the SE soundtrack, and I'd record my voice live with my mic.  Can both the SE soundtrack and my voice be recorded simultaneously through my sound card and OBS or do I need to move the mic onto my onboard audio mic input (I can do that too, I guess.)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 05:08

On my trip this weekend I also found this 4 meter block of ice interesting:
x.jpg

Somewhere inside this block of ice is a stevenson screen, which used to be the official weather station on this mountain.  This site suffers heavily from atmospheric icing.  It's a very windy place with frequent fog and the temperature stays below freezing for 8 months a year.  They now use more modern sensors less prone icing.
Wow is there some kind of danger with that ice boulder?  It looks like it's very precariously balanced......

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 05:28

Wow is there some kind of danger with that ice boulder?  It looks like it's very precariously balanced......
Not at all.  The ice sticks to a stevenson screen (weather hut) which is securely bolted to the ground on 2 m stilts.  There also is a tall antenna tower nearby, however, and chunks of frequently fall off that, which can be dangerous.  These can be several kg and the fall is about 50 m.  I'm trying to figure out how to place meteor cameras at this site, where they don't ice up, have a decent view of the sky and not too close to the tower risking getting crushed by falling ice.

I found a picture on the net of the same stevenson screen during summer.  Quite a difference:
► Show Spoiler
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 06:08

Wow that is truly beautiful.  I see what looks like a lake down there below the slope?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 06:14

I do that all the time!
Right, I can see a bunch of audio sources, some are "Desktop Audio" (2 of them are) which are sources from my motherboard's onboard audio, and some are Mic/Aux (4 of them are) which are sources from my Audigy RX sound card.  And I am doing MP4 so I should be able to do this.  Wait, I have to have a prerecorded track of my voice to add it in later?  I was thinking of doing a "live" narration over the sound track of SE that was already playing as I'm recording the video. Is this possible to do in OBS?
I can get the sound track of SE recorded just fine using "What U Hear" so it records the SE soundtrack along with game play but what I want to do is simultaneously record my voice as I'm playing and already recording the SE soundtrack, and I'd record my voice live with my mic.  Can both the SE soundtrack and my voice be recorded simultaneously through my sound card and OBS or do I need to move the mic onto my onboard audio mic input (I can do that too, I guess.)
Well, it definitely won't be with the sound card.  I went into sound settings and found that no input was coming from the mic which is attached to my sound card.  Turns out when "What U Hear" is turned on to record the SE sound track, the mic is automatically turned off.  When I turned the mic on to record sound from it (and it worked during the mic test), the What U Hear slider in OBS automatically turns off.  So the two cannot record simultaneously.  I will try with Line In and Mic In on the onboard audio, but it doesn't look very good because first I can't even find the options for it on Desktop Audio, maybe they automatically disable when I installed the drivers for the Audigy RX sound card?  What U Hear needs to stay on for me to record the SE sound track with the speakers off, so my only other option to record both the soundtrack and my voice simultaneously is to have the speakers on and record both through the mic, which means the soundtrack recording will be of lower quality which is not what I want.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 07:21

A-L-E-X, this is not my video (just something I found on YouTube), but it shows well why this is a very interesting site for installing meteor cameras (and doing astronomy in general):

[youtube]eoAVAJjJwPc[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

19 Apr 2021 10:24

It looks like it's near the top of the mountain range which gives you a great view across the full 360 degrees!  It must be great for both meteors and northern lights, and sometimes both simultaneously!

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Show off your work

21 Apr 2021 06:40

Well, it definitely won't be with the sound card.  I went into sound settings and found that no input was coming from the mic which is attached to my sound card.  Turns out when "What U Hear" is turned on to record the SE sound track, the mic is automatically turned off.  When I turned the mic on to record sound from it (and it worked during the mic test), the What U Hear slider in OBS automatically turns off.  So the two cannot record simultaneously.  I will try with Line In and Mic In on the onboard audio, but it doesn't look very good because first I can't even find the options for it on Desktop Audio, maybe they automatically disable when I installed the drivers for the Audigy RX sound card?  What U Hear needs to stay on for me to record the SE sound track with the speakers off, so my only other option to record both the soundtrack and my voice simultaneously is to have the speakers on and record both through the mic, which means the soundtrack recording will be of lower quality which is not what I want.
Wow, that's very weird! I mean, I can turn both on with no problem. I have a different sound card though, so it's probably different from one sound card to another. Maybe there is on the web some software which can create a "virtual input" that contains both audio and microphone on the same track, but you won't be able to split them so it's quite useless :(
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Show off your work

21 Apr 2021 17:14

Wow, that's very weird! I mean, I can turn both on with no problem. I have a different sound card though, so it's probably different from one sound card to another. Maybe there is on the web some software which can create a "virtual input" that contains both audio and microphone on the same track, but you won't be able to split them so it's quite useless  :(
oh I would love if I could do it- I could of course just use the mic for both inputs (one from the speakers and the other from my voice) but in that case the sound track part of it would be of much lower quality.
I have a 7.1 surround sound speaker set up, but I record only in stereo- that's the correct way to do it?  I think the mic can only take in stereo input anyway.
I was thinking of using the built in audio's mic port but OBS only detects output from that source not input.  Although maybe I should plug in the mic there anyway and see what happens.

miniluv73
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Show off your work

06 May 2021 13:01

EarthProfPic.png
EarthProfPic.png (24.37 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Was experimenting in Photoshop with a potential new profile picture, what do y'all think?
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here."
Arthur C. Clarke, 1996