Ultimate space simulation software

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

Dreams you've had

10 Jun 2017 12:05

I had this dream where I was in some form of NASA habitat that very closely resemble my house from the inside but looked like a NASA habitat from the outside, My Family was living their daily lives almost normally with small changes for outside work, Because we were not on earth, and outside there was a blue-ish gray surface with a small hill next to my house, the sky was a slightly grayer version of the sky on earth with a single sun, when night came along it rained like F*cking Hell and for some reason it was in my head that the Planet or moon that I was on was called "Faire" pronounced Fair.
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Dreams you've had

21 Jul 2017 16:06

Last night instead of sleeping I was wondering if the easiest form of interstellar communication would be a simple Morse code by transiting their host star with a sliver of a Dyson sphere or a propelled modulating asteroid or something else just as fantastical, rather than high energy EMR. Still light speed, but maybe... even reruns of Battle Star Galactica streaming across the Milky Way Internet.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

Dreams you've had

26 Jul 2017 10:03

@Gnargenox You have a GT 730?!? 
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Dreams you've had

26 Jul 2017 15:38

Yes, is that something special? I don't have alot of on board memory, but I've set my virtual memory settings pretty high.
Untitled-1.jpg
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

Dreams you've had

05 Aug 2017 10:14

I just haven't seen many computers with a GT 730 ( I always thought of it has a an overpriced under-powered card.)

styrax
Observer
Observer

Dreams you've had

06 Aug 2017 15:38

It is strange that people are so easy to forget their dreams even you clearly remember that the dream was so impressive...

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Dreams you've had

06 Aug 2017 15:54

Had some really crazy dreams.  The first part was in this really crazy building out in the desert, brain says Dubai but it was really weird.  Nothing was around it, but in the distance a ways was a city with a gold pyramid and you could see for miles.  Eventually a sandstorm came in, water rushed all around it, then the dream changed into a weird one where I was flying around the building avoiding a lion, there was some random person just walking around on their phone, the water was like 2 inches deep yet reached the top floor of this long building.  There was a bit where I was trying to find my way back to that top floor, and avoiding some snakes but it made no sense. The building was like a maze inside.

Dream changed into some very strange post apocalyptic dream after, cars looked a bit futuristic and a plate said 2028.  Friend, his cousin, and myself put on bulletproof vests, grabbed guns from an abandoned house and we drove for miles.  We came up to this subdivision overgrown with flowers but had batteries and electricity to one main house.  All that was left was a family of 2 brothers and the father, they let us stay.

Went with the two boys to scavenge and we came up to this ditch in a heavily wooded area and we started hearing voices.  Told the two teens to stay quiet and inside we saw all these egg/pod things hatched and dozens of children.  These children were deformed and trying to climb some blue glowing wall, many of them had large eyes, bulbed heads, could hear them inside our own minds crying out for help.  We had to stay hidden at this point but they all eventually made it over this glowing blue wall.  There were also deformed animals with similar deformities, but they couldn't make it over the wall.

We went back to the house slowly, the 2 kids were scared of aliens.  Then when I walked into the house everyone was gone, the room was dim, and this guy walked up and said its over.  Next thing is its a camera view sweeping over books/newspapers but the images on them are animated, each one is a tv show from the last 60 years.  First it was twilight zone, theme was playing, that morphed into later twilight zone, outer limits, some 90s shows that names escape me,  and the themes kept melting into each other, then there was x-files, themes and quotes from shows kept going and then I just woke up.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Dreams you've had

06 Aug 2017 20:13

Had a dream about zombified Disney characters trying to kill me and my family while we hid in the bathroom when I was 10. Must've been pretty immortalizing on me seeing how I still remember it 7 years later. ;p

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 12:38

I doubt atoms as we know them can "mutate" in this way, but perhaps it is possible in the quantum world.
Nay.  Quantum mechanically, particles are indistinguishable, and their properties are tied to constants of nature.  If they 'mutate' then this would be evident by changes in energy levels, bonding behavior, and spectra.  It's actually a very good thing that they don't evolve or else it would screw up the universe pretty badly. :)

Biological systems can evolve because what evolves is the information carried in their genes, which is a property of how a very large number of particles are arranged, and not a property of the particles themselves.  It's like how water is wet, but a single molecule of water is not wet.  Wetness is an emergent property that arises when you get a lot of them together.
But are constants even "constant"?  I'd argue that because we are a part of the universe, there would be no way for us to be really sure if this is true or not?  For example, if the value of every constant changes slowly over time, in such a way that everything remains "to scale" we would have no way of knowing because to find this out, you'd have to have a way to compare it with something outside of the universe!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 12:39

I just haven't seen many computers with a GT 730 ( I always thought of it has a an overpriced under-powered card.)
There's different flavors of GT 730, some are far better than others.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 12:42

Yes, is that something special? I don't have alot of on board memory, but I've set my virtual memory settings pretty high.
Untitled-1.jpg
We're in the same boat.  I have 4 GB RAM but only 3.25 GB is accessible, I have a 4 GB GT 730 (newer version that has 384 shaders), but I have freed up 8 GB virtual memory.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 12:43

Last night instead of sleeping I was wondering if the easiest form of interstellar communication would be a simple Morse code by transiting their host star with a sliver of a Dyson sphere or a propelled modulating asteroid or something else just as fantastical, rather than high energy EMR. Still light speed, but maybe... even reruns of Battle Star Galactica streaming across the Milky Way Internet.
I actually read an article about something similar recently! I will post it when I find it again.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 12:46

I doubt atoms as we know them can "mutate" in this way, but perhaps it is possible in the quantum world.
Nay.  Quantum mechanically, particles are indistinguishable, and their properties are tied to constants of nature.  If they 'mutate' then this would be evident by changes in energy levels, bonding behavior, and spectra.  It's actually a very good thing that they don't evolve or else it would screw up the universe pretty badly. :)

Biological systems can evolve because what evolves is the information carried in their genes, which is a property of how a very large number of particles are arranged, and not a property of the particles themselves.  It's like how water is wet, but a single molecule of water is not wet.  Wetness is an emergent property that arises when you get a lot of them together.
I like Lee Smolin's ideas of baby universes evolving from parent universes and nature selecting for universes with life vs nonlife.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Dreams you've had

09 Aug 2017 17:43

I actually read an article about something similar recently! I will post it when I find it again.
I posted it in the science thread- here is an excerpt
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedormi ... 770d002c6e

How Aliens Might Use 'Network Theory' For Galactic Communications

Bruce Dorminey ,

Contributor

I cover over-the-horizon technology, aerospace and astronomy.

Advanced technological civilizations looking for efficient communication from one end of a galaxy to another would best be served by tapping into a network of transiting extrasolar earths. That is, extrasolar earths capable of being observed transiting across the face of their parent stars. Or so says an exoplanet researcher in the U.K.

Kepler-type space observatories out looking for transits of extrasolar earths, could also look for the telltale signatures of optical lasers or even alien macro-engineering projects that might be manipulated to signal another civilization.

Haravin
Observer
Observer

Dreams you've had

30 Aug 2017 09:53

I had a dream that I was in my front yard but there were talking dinosaurs.