Ultimate space simulation software

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

What are your own personal ways of dealing with anxiety and depression?

18 Sep 2018 14:09

I've been going through a bad bout of both anxiety and depression the last few months. I have a few ways of coping with mine by doing the things I need to do to heal myself (Space Engine and just pondering about science in general being a big part of that.) But I was wondering what everyone else does? Maybe there's something new I can try. 
My System.
ASrock B250 Motherboard, I7 7700, GTX 1080 8gb, 16 GB DDR4 2400 mhz

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Sep 2018 17:08

If its really bad, there isn't much of anything you can ever really do to get rid of it but in your case it seems you have some things to do to deal with it.

My advice is try not to focus on it, try out meditation, and if it gets really bad and you start thinking about harming yourself, you should consider going to see someone.  Don't be ashamed to ask for help, I see a therapist because it helps to have someone to talk to. 

For my own I try and fill my day with distractions, working on things, meditation, games, whatever I can to get me on to the next day. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

18 Sep 2018 22:44

Depends if it's environmental/situation or fundamentally neurological.

If it's the first reason DoctorOfSpace pretty much suggested the best things.

If none of that helps and i's neurological/neurochemical then you need to see a medical professional and may need treating via medication.  

I personally have a few debilitating conditions and depression and anxiety was one of the secondary symptoms.  It wasn't situational or anything like that so no therapy or support helped as there wasn't anything actually external causing it, rather seems to be related to the previous health issues I had many years ago that developed into chronic fatigue of some kind.  Only medications helped and boy did they help!  literally like a switch that just turned off those depressive and anxiety symptoms.   Only unfortunately I still haven't been able to treat the debilitating fatigue at all but at least I am happy and live otherwise without much worry at all.

It's amazing what having the right treatment can do to your sense of well being. The first step is to seek professorial help and a step well worth taking.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

19 Sep 2018 15:28

Being out in nature and taking some time to appreciate it can also help. If you have not already, take up astronomy. It is very relaxing and does not require all the bells and whistles the ads tell you it does. All you need are some binoculars.

I also found bicycling can be good for treating stress, since the exercise and focus on biking is really mentally calming. Of course if you live in the city this can be difficult, but most cities have parks in them, or you can drive out to the countryside. 
Futurum Fusionem

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

20 Sep 2018 07:42

Long term projects help keep your mind busy I found, but it can be a catch 22 as both of those can ruin your motivation to do such projects which helps you in the first place.

It's a good aid in the recovery process though once you are already on that path.

I personally pass my time with car restoration and PC hardware and all aspects of science with astronomy being the main science of interest.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

20 Sep 2018 21:49

I personally pass my time with car restoration and PC hardware and all aspects of science with astronomy being the main science of interest.
Same, but for me it's motorcycle upkeep.
Futurum Fusionem

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

21 Sep 2018 17:26

I'm just feeling so low and honestly I feel like I'm stupid. I feel like I can't accurately express my thoughts and it just comes out as stupid. I really thank you all for your kind words and advice. I'm not trying to throw a pity party by any means, and if it seems like I have I apologize.
My System.

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

21 Sep 2018 19:30

You might pick up a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It might give you a little insight into the state of being human. I believe a lot of anxiety and depression is because of the Pressures we create for ourselves and Society creates for all of us. I had quite a bout of it during my college days to the point I sought therapy and medication. It was a stressful time Socially but not academically. More people knew me than I knew them and it made me a little paranoid people would know my name wherever I went haha but that just kind of created a social pressure I didn't understand. So I withdrew into my own world with music or video games or art. It wasn't until my brain was fully developed around the age of 40 that I realized I was a great person and that what other people thought truly honestly had absolutely no bearing on my value. I wouldn't call it confidence I would describe it as a lack of caring. I ended up in a wonderful relationship with a truly gorgeous woman that understood me well enough to still hang around me. My advice to you is put on the blind Siders and ignore what you might feel are standards to attain. Do something that scares you. Put yourself in extremely stressful situations but always realize that it doesn't matter if you succeed or fail. Look in the mirror and realize that your life is your own and you can make it whatever you want it to be. All humans have the potential for greatness if they would just quit comparing themselves to the rest of the world. Oh and you'll probably grow out of it in 20 years. Good luck.

Edit
I guess I'm responding to your question because just last night I had a discussion with a buddy from college I knew two and a half decades ago. Here's a snapshot of our discussion.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180921-194137.png
Screenshot_20180921-194038.png
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

21 Sep 2018 20:56

You might pick up a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It might give you a little insight into the state of being human. I believe a lot of anxiety and depression is because of the Pressures we create for ourselves and Society creates for all of us. I had quite a bout of it during my college days to the point I sought therapy and medication. It was a stressful time Socially but not academically. More people knew me than I knew them and it made me a little paranoid people would know my name wherever I went haha but that just kind of created a social pressure I didn't understand. So I withdrew into my own world with music or video games or art. It wasn't until my brain was fully developed around the age of 40 that I realized I was a great person and that what other people thought truly honestly had absolutely no bearing on my value. I wouldn't call it confidence I would describe it as a lack of caring. I ended up in a wonderful relationship with a truly gorgeous woman that understood me well enough to still hang around me. My advice to you is put on the blind Siders and ignore what you might feel are standards to attain. Do something that scares you. Put yourself in extremely stressful situations but always realize that it doesn't matter if you succeed or fail. Look in the mirror and realize that your life is your own and you can make it whatever you want it to be. All humans have the potential for greatness if they would just quit comparing themselves to the rest of the world. Oh and you'll probably grow out of it in 20 years. Good luck.

Edit
I guess I'm responding to your question because just last night I had a discussion with a buddy from college I knew two and a half decades ago. Here's a snapshot of our discussion.
Much love!
My System.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

21 Sep 2018 22:59

You might pick up a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. It might give you a little insight into the state of being human. I believe a lot of anxiety and depression is because of the Pressures we create for ourselves and Society creates for all of us.
Amen to that brother.
Futurum Fusionem

Lignew
Observer
Observer

13 May 2019 06:27

I must admit, I am an anxious person. Certain things work for me: meditation, meeting with friends, physical exercises, and long walks. In this case, I find the long walks and exercises in the fresh air especially effective. As It was mentioned before long projects and researches also work well for me by switching my mind to other not anxiety related things.

carrgordon
Observer
Observer

Re: What are your own personal ways of dealing with anxiety and depression?

12 Jan 2023 10:48

It's great that you're looking for ways to cope with your anxiety and depression. Everyone's experience is different, but here are a few things that have helped me in the past: -Exercise: even just a short walk or jog can help clear my mind and improve my mood -Meditation and yoga: taking time to focus on my breath and being present in the moment can help reduce stress and anxiety
-Visiting a kava bar: drinking kava, a traditional Polynesian beverage, can be a great way to relax and get into a better mood. I found that visiting the Tribal Kava Bar helped me to relax and forget about my worries.
It's important to remember that what works for one person may not work for another, so it's worth trying a few different things to see what works best for you. Be kind to yourself and don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 Jan 2023 06:32

For me the thing the mostly creates my anxiety is health. I feel like everything else can be fixed someway, maybe it's hard, maybe it's easy, maybe there is no solution we like, but there's always a solution to everything. With health sometimes I get worried for no reason and I start believing I have the worst type of disease I could possibly have, luckily this have never proved to be true... yet (JOKING).

With age and with more medical (?) knowledge I feel much more mature in this respect, and now I rarely got into psychosis anymore and I can reason more calmly.
I think anxiety appears when you feel like you have no solution to solve your problems or people/your job expects more from you than what you believe you can do. So maybe being aware of this let's you fight your anxiety more easily, but it's absolutely not easy and there's not an absolute recipe to do that, unfortunately!
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

spaxetopia
Observer
Observer

15 Jul 2023 14:17

We were all born with anxiety, but as we grow up and get used to what we once perceived as threatening, the number of anxiety-inducing situations tends to decrease.
Even as adults, we all have situations when we are still anxious, when we have to do something we haven't done before and the brain creates a scenario that causes us fear.

When I feel anxious, to lower my heart rate, I say to myself that I just need to get used to it. But it would be impossible to get used to it if I ran away.

I know that not everyone can control their brain in this way and go through dangerous situations.
My wife is that type of person, but even she gradually acquires this skill, going to psychotherapy sessions at this holistic psychiatry in NYC.

These sessions have been instrumental in helping my wife develop strategies to cope with her anxiety. The professional guidance and therapeutic techniques provided there have gradually empowered her to confront her fears rather than avoid them. It's remarkable to witness her progress and see her growing confidence in navigating challenging situations.