Ultimate space simulation software

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

UFO Sightings and Possible Explanations

09 Aug 2017 06:49

Many of us, I assume, have seen strange sights in the sky, at some point in our lives, that we cannot explain, or at least could not explain at the time. This is a thread where you can share stories of unexplained sights you've seen, and try to explain what others have seen.
[hr] I will start with my own tale.

Some time in Spring of 2005 (I don't remember exactly, I think it was in April) I was out adventuring with a friend when I looked up into the sky and saw something, a star-like point of light almost directly overhead. It was late afternoon and the sun was low in the sky. A further scan of the sky revealed 3 more points of light (4 total), spread across the zenith of the sky in a shallow V-formation maybe 40 degrees wide. Over the next several minutes they slowly moved towards the south-west. My friend and I immediately began running back home to grab my telescope. The objects continued to slowly move through the sky while we ran, moving towards the horizon in the south-west. By the time we got back to the house, 3 of the objects had disappeared from view, and the 4th object was pulsing in and out of view in the sky, maybe 20 degrees above the horizon. As soon as I got my telescope set up, the 4th object faded from view and did not reappear. This was less than 30 minutes after we first saw them directly overhead.

I had the impression that the objects were something like 30 km in altitude, but I really don't know how high up they were. To this day I cannot adequately explain what I saw, and I would love to know what they were. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

09 Aug 2017 08:12

This is interesting. So, you want some explanation. I think I can think of logical explanation that isn't something like:"You probably hallucinated, blah, blah.."

So, my opinion is that those objects were in fact military crafts. As you couldn't see the shape of objects, I can't tell for sure. But, usually those secret military aircraft are V-shaped. But you saw V formation. There have been a lot of sightings like this one. I am not saying these craft weren't UFOs from different, unknown worlds. This was just one of my explanation that could explain this.

I also have one UFO story to share here, but I will see if I can find more info for it since it isn't mine.
But, I can share one short sighting. So, it happened many years ago in the early August, probably 2nd. I was coming back from some event that was happening there every year and it was evening. When I was close to my house, I saw one object (dot) that travels in the sky. It was traveling too fast for an airplane, and too slow for some meteor. It was traveling at constant speed. I don't know for how long it was there, since I spotted it a bit later, but probably 6-8 seconds (not sure). So, that's my sighting, nothing special, but I would want some explanation. Maybe it was other thing, not plane or meteor.  

Anyway, I can't wait for others to share and explain their UFO sightings! 
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

09 Aug 2017 09:02

The problem with the military aircraft explanation is that there is no known or hypothetical aircraft (that I am aware of) that fit the observations. They were at very high altitude, definitely over 20 km, probably more like 30, but were very bright, so were not likely to be stealth or secret aircraft. I also at the time lived far away from any military bases where experimental or secret aircraft were flown. They were also traveling at a speed that was probably too slow for any winged aircraft to stay in the air; they simply could not have gotten enough lift at that altitude. Some kind of balloons could fit some aspects of the observation, but not others. It was very weird.

As for your sighting, it sounds like it could possibly have been a satellite.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Aug 2017 09:17

I also have one UFO story to share here, but I will see if I can find more info for it since it isn't mine.
But, I can share one short sighting. So, it happened many years ago in the early August, probably 2nd. I was coming back from some event that was happening there every year and it was evening. When I was close to my house, I saw one object (dot) that travels in the sky. It was traveling too fast for an airplane, and too slow for some meteor. It was traveling at constant speed. I don't know for how long it was there, since I spotted it a bit later, but probably 6-8 seconds (not sure). So, that's my sighting, nothing special, but I would want some explanation. Maybe it was other thing, not plane or meteor.
Also too fast for being a satellite, right? Was the light constant or blinking?
Anyway, I can't wait for others to share and explain their UFO sightings! 
Well, about one year ago (it was my friend's birthday so 9 July 2016) I saw a weird black object slowly moving in the sky, I was in my car and I was very close to my home. I've seen it for a dozen seconds, then it just disappeared from my view (maybe hidden by houses).
The first thing I recognized was an F117 Lockheed, this airplane:
I know it's weird because you wouldn't expect to find such a plane in a place like the one I was, but I couldn't recognize any other object.
It didn't look like an hang glider, even if it's nose-tail length seemed quite similar to the one of an hang glider, also because I couldn't see the driver.
It was pitch black, also seemed metallic to me, had a quite clear shape (not perfectly V shaped) and it was flying very low in the sky, so low I could clearly see its shape.
Here I'm trying to draw what I've seen, even if a lot of time has passed:
thing.jpg
thing.jpg (4.43 KiB) Viewed 7808 times
I know that if it was an alien someone would have noticed it, but indeed I still have no idea of what that thing was.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

09 Aug 2017 09:48

Here I'm trying to draw what I've seen, even if a lot of time has passed:
That looks exactly like a B-2 bomber.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

09 Aug 2017 10:37

My first UFO sighting was in 1995, was a small child so it probably wasn't anything special.  My siblings, a babysitter, and I were out on the front porch after a thunderstorm, we saw what looked like an orange ball flying through the sky.  It wasn't moving at high speed, then it moved up into the clouds and was gone.  Around an hour-ish after that 2 helicopters flew over heading in the same direction.
[hr] My second UFO sighting was around a decade later.  I was living in a small town at the time and lived on the opposite side of town from a friend of mine.  To get across town you have to walk through a heavily wooded area and a railroad depot area.  When we got over to his block he was already quite a ways away when over the tree top I saw a pulsing red/orange light in the middle with 3 white lights on each corner.  I watched it for a few as it approached the tree line before I realized I didn't recognize the craft, I yelled for my friend to come over but by the time he got back the craft had already moved over the trees and was out of sight.

I ended up heading back to my apartment and googling triangular UFOs, while this image may be from a hoax it does look fairly similar to what I saw.

That was in mid 2007
[hr] A couple years after that I was up north again, same state but visiting from Florida, and I saw what looked like a silver ball floating over a cornfield.  There wasn't anyone around and it was just floating perfect still over the field.  I did have my camera but it was in my backpack as I was driving a motorbike at the time.  I pulled the bike over, got my bag, pulled my camera out, and when I turned back to get a picture the ball was gone.

Here is a really bad mock-up, location is correct but I would rather not share my family/friends location.

Common sense would say it was a balloon, but it was a fairly windy day and given the fact it simply vanished its quite strange.
[hr] This next one is from 2010, which I did manage to get a picture of but sadly I was using a very cheap slidephone with a terrible camera.  I was riding in a car with someone when we noticed a few people pointing up.  Above the street was this shimmering object that wasn't quite moving right.  It flew to the left of this image, circled back around to the right, looked like it was rotating/shimmering, and then it was gone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

09 Aug 2017 11:41

As for your sighting, it sounds like it could possibly have been a satellite.
Might be, but it was I think somewhere between 10-15 km away from surface. Not sure. And I think satellites need to be higher than that. 
But I don't know why you disagree that we have advanced technology for aircraft. Why would government show all of their weapons? I think it is logical for them to hide it.
Also too fast for being a satellite, right? Was the light constant or blinking?
I think it was constant light. it was just passing through the sky. My memory doesn't serve me well, but it could be a satelite, just it is even too low for low-orbit satellites so I don't know. That happened when I was probably 10.
And as for your story, military planes can be anywhere. i think there is nothing strange, especially these days.
DoctorOfSpace, you have great history of UFO sightings! The second one is interesting the most for me. I don't know any comon sense explanation. Maybe that's some energetic orb? Just guessing. And it wasn't glowing? I am for the option that it is just from the military. But this is different. I don't know what it could be.

And if anyone is really interested in UFO investigation and sightings, here is MUFON site: http://www.mufon.com/
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

09 Aug 2017 13:19

Doc, how do you explain what you saw?

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Topic Author

09 Aug 2017 13:51

But I don't know why you disagree that we have advanced technology for aircraft. Why would government show all of their weapons? I think it is logical for them to hide it.
I never said that there were no secret, advanced aircraft. I said that it was difficult to explain what I saw, even with any plausible aircraft that I have heard about.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

09 Aug 2017 16:25

Can't.  One can make a lot of guesses and assumptions, but thats about all they would be.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

09 Aug 2017 16:38

Can't.  One can make a lot of guesses and assumptions, but thats about all they would be.
You're right.  I can't help but be fascinated by this topic though, especially since I was a big fan of the X-files on a variety of levels (moreso having to do with government creating the surveillance state, how AI could negatively impact society, and the military-industrial complex that Eisenhower told us to be wary of.)  A lot of that already came true!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

09 Aug 2017 16:40

I never said that there were no secret, advanced aircraft. I said that it was difficult to explain what I saw, even with any plausible aircraft that I have heard about.
That is all we can  say, as Doc pointed out.  Even astronauts and pilots have seen things they can't explain but we can't go beyond their accounts and try to explain them.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

09 Aug 2017 18:36

During the summer of 2006 I went camping with a friend on a mountaintop at the border of Virginia and West Virginia to see the stars.  It was perfectly clear, and as the sky grew dark we started noticing these very bright flashes of white light, which would light up a big portion of the sky.  We were in a dark site and our eyes were well adapted, and the flashes were bright enough to illuminate the ground and cast shadows.  It was actually really distracting, and we switched our attention to figuring out what the heck these flashes were coming from.  They came from different and apparently random locations along the eastern horizon, over a range of perhaps 50-60 degrees azimuth.  Their occurrence was not regular, but averaged perhaps one every few seconds.

This sounds exactly like very distant lightning.  But I had checked the weather and there were no thunderstorms -- all the way out over the Atlantic Ocean, the skies were clear.  And unlike lightning, these flashes never flickered. They always seemed to last only an instant.  

We kept watching them, sometimes viewing through binoculars.  I got lucky a few times and happened to see them go off right in the middle of the field of view through the binocs.  It was like a very bright core of light a few degrees wide, surrounded by a much more diffuse glow that spread out over the whole sky.  Like the air itself was made luminous, with no obvious source to it.

This went on for a couple of hours, and finally they quit and we could enjoy the night sky undisturbed.  The next day we commented on how strange the night was, but didn't really think too much more about it.  There wasn't much else to go on.

Two summers later, we went back and camped out at the same site again.  By that time we had totally forgotten about the lights.  But sure enough, they came back and we had an exact repeat performance!  And once again I made sure there were no thunderstorms -- for a thousand miles in that direction the sky was totally clear.  I also got an interesting email through the Northern Virginia Astronomy Club mailing list, where someone was at an observing site outside the DC metro area, and they described the same lightning-like flashes.

Pretty weird, and I have no good explanation for it.  The best hypothesis suggested in the mailing list was that it could have been from the Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center, which does sound plausible as a source of very bright flashes during exercises and is in roughly the right direction (NE).  But it doesn't explain how they would appear from a wide range of locations along the horizon from our position (70 miles away).  The facility isn't that large.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

09 Aug 2017 19:45

Isn't there some weird stuff going on at Mt Weather? In the X-files it was theorized to be a place where a "shadow government" would be set up in case of an emergency.

With the dishonesty that our government has given us for the last several presidents (no wonder they get angry at whistleblowers and leakers- like they tell us with surveillance, if they have nothing to hide, why do they worry?), nothing would surprise me.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

09 Aug 2017 21:49

Watsisname, those are some cool experiences definitely