Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Re: General suggestions for SpaceEngine

22 Apr 2022 15:10

Does not help your argument bringing up other games/programs. We are not concerned about them here. The docking corridor system envisaged by Vlad would have to be an electronic virtual corridor, as he sees ships of the future without actual windows (which does make sense). So something that the navigation computer adds to your display monitor, or if you actually do have a window, then to your HUD.

You don't like my idea, fine, you've said so, move on.
It's just a weird idea, like parking spots cover the whole car and not just your viewpoint.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

22 Apr 2022 18:17

First it's comparing it to games, now you're still trying to compare docking a spaceship (quite possibly a very large spaceship) with parking a car. I'm afraid I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. I sure hope you don't work in the aerospace industry.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

23 Apr 2022 14:48

First it's comparing it to games, now you're still trying to compare docking a spaceship (quite possibly a very large spaceship) with parking a car. I'm afraid I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. I sure hope you don't work in the aerospace industry.
I haven't been taking you seriously since page 1 - someone who works in the aerospace industry would not take "make the docking corridor smaller" seriously.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Apr 2022 03:19

I discoverd a BUG of SE 0.990.43.1875 Steam Edition: if I press "ESC" for going to the main menu after I fly through the universe, then there will be a Blue Screen (BSOD) on my computer. How can I fix it? OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Graphic Card: AMD Radeon RX 640 2G CPU: Core i7-10510U

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Apr 2022 04:16

SE Steam Edition has built-in Chinese, but I think that is not perfect
1.If I type a Chinese sky object such as "地球" (Earth), the finder under the searchbox won't show "地球", I need press Enter or "确定" (OK) button then it selects "地球/Earth".
2.If I make an addon that use Chinese object name, then it will become some Greek and English letters in the finder under the searchbox and even I press Enter, it still tells me cannot find that object.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Apr 2022 04:20

1.If I type a Chinese sky object such as "地球" (Earth), the finder under the searchbox won't show "地球", I need press Enter or "确定" (OK) button then it selects "地球/Earth".
2.If I make an addon that use Chinese object name, then it will become some Greek and English letters in the finder under the searchbox and even I press Enter, it still tells me cannot find that object.
I know foreigners learning Chinese is very very very hard, but I think this is the problem of decoding. Are there any way to fix this problem? Thanks!

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

24 Apr 2022 13:14

The U.S. Navy uses an optical landing system on aircraft carriers. A Fresnel lens system called the "meatball". It tells the pilot if he is on the correct glideslope or not.

But the hook that catches a wire on the deck is both quite a bit behind and below the pilot. The position of the meatball compensates for that.

But wait, it gets better. They usually carry a variety of aircraft, of different sizes. Which means that the hook is in a different position relative to the pilot with each aircraft type. Do they make the pilot guess how much to compensate? No, they move the meatball to a specific position along the deck, depending on which type of aircraft is coming aboard.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Apr 2022 13:26

The U.S. Navy uses an optical landing system on aircraft carriers. A Fresnel lens system called the "meatball". It tells the pilot if he is on the correct glideslope or not.
But the hook that catches a wire on the deck is both quite a bit behind and below the pilot. The position of the meatball compensates for that.
But wait, it gets better. They usually carry a variety of aircraft, of different sizes. Which means that the hook is in a different position relative to the pilot with each aircraft type. Do they make the pilot guess how much to compensate? No, they move the meatball to a specific position along the deck, depending on which type of aircraft is coming aboard.
So they do that instead of painting woefully undersized strips on the carrier, your point being?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Apr 2022 13:31

1: the object finder shows names from integrated catalogs, which are loaded by the program in early stages and compiled in English . Translated names are saved in databases, one for each language, and are dinamically loaded by the program, you can change language on the fly. It can't list that database in the object search window, probably because of program limitations. It's a problem not only specific to Chinese, but for all existing localizations. You can use those names as you said by pressing ok or goto.
2: Greek letters, used by the Bayer designation, are transliterated in SE catalogs with first three letters of the latin alfabet, so it can happen that some object named "alfabet" could appear as [ALF]a[BET]. it's a problem that will be solved eventually. This could also lead to a "object not found" error.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

25 Apr 2022 13:30

So they do that instead of painting woefully undersized strips on the carrier, your point being?
I guess my point is I'm sorry I tried explaining anything to you in the first place. It must be dreadful to be so small-minded, unable to cope with the idea that something might be better than what you are used to. And I'm sorry you don't understand the concept.

I blame the education system, I really do.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Apr 2022 13:55

I guess my point is I'm sorry I tried explaining anything to you in the first place. It must be dreadful to be so small-minded, unable to cope with the idea that something might be better than what you are used to. And I'm sorry you don't understand the concept.
I blame the education system, I really do.
You don't make a lot of friends, do you? I hardly think anyone would want to hang out with anyone who seriously speaks like this to other people.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Apr 2022 17:45

Let's take a small pause from the forum, and keep up with the topic.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

redrichard
Observer
Observer

07 May 2022 07:20

Hello. I have noticed a problem with the maffei group of galaxies. It appears as if Maffei 1 and Maffei 2 were incorrectly placed, as they are hundreds of millions of lightyears behind the rest of the group, but in the correct direction.
This will be fixed in the next update.
As look into the new update I think the issue is still not solved by the dev's.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

07 May 2022 08:44

Hello. I have noticed a problem with the maffei group of galaxies. It appears as if Maffei 1 and Maffei 2 were incorrectly placed, as they are hundreds of millions of lightyears behind the rest of the group, but in the correct direction.
This will be fixed in the next update.
As look into the new update I think the issue is still not solved by the dev's.
In version 0990.43.1875, the latest regular update, Maffei 1 and Maffei 2 are placed at 3 Megaparsecs, consistent with available sources. According patch notes, the distance issue has been solved with the November 2020 update.
scr00014.jpg

SCP-10492
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 May 2022 12:02

MSAA and FXAA are abbreviations for Multisampling Anti-aliasing and Fast Approximate Anti-aliasing. In SE's graphics settings, they are named MSAA antialiasing and FXAA antialiasing, where "anti-aliasing" appears twice (AA and antialiasing). In other games (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2), these anti-aliasing options do not have the extra "antialiasing" in their names. Currently, the anti-aliasing option is named with the extra "antialiasing" (different words for different languages, but the meaning is the same) in all the languages built into SE.

I suggest removing the extra "antialiasing" or using the full name of the anti-aliasing technique.