Ultimate space simulation software

centurion
Observer
Observer

General suggestions for SpaceEngine

06 Feb 2022 07:41

Thank for your Reply Master Harbinger Dawn.

Are you sure about the motion blur trail length.
I have just gone through a computer upgrade to clean things up a bit.
My old computer had the steam version installed, I check in on space engine every once in a while.
It was definately available on the computer I had it set to do so when traveling around.

I have linked a video here by some one showing the exact effect I don't recall having to use the console to set this feature.
I thought it was in settings under visual styles or graphics.

Thanks again for you help from Australia.

Also would it help if I posted a note somewhere for the developer to know about the velocity vector bug if it is one being unavailable in flight simulator mode?

Richard

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

06 Feb 2022 17:35

Yes, I am sure.
Also would it help if I posted a note somewhere for the developer to know about the velocity vector bug if it is one being unavailable in flight simulator mode?
I will do that.
But I can't search for them in filter settings.
You can easily find them when sorting by class, they will be near the top or bottom of the list.
Well, let me say it with other words: It would be nice if the user could somehow add details of his own location on earth. For example with equirectangular 360° images. Or in any other way.
But that would only result in a small sphere with that texture in it, it would not actually add any details to the 3D environment. If you want to add textured spheres then you can do that already.
"Cylindirical projection" is a different thing. It has a nonlinear y axis. Cylindrical projection with 180° vertical field of view is impossible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_proje ... ylindrical
Did you read that link? It clearly lists equirectangular as a type of cylindrical projection. Equirectangular is in fact the simplest type of cylindrical projection; if you place a sphere within a cylinder whose height is equal to the diameter of the sphere, and project the surface of the sphere radially outward from the central axis of the cylinder, the cylinder will contain a map of the sphere in equirectangular projection. I wish you could accept that I know and understand these things (and that you would read the links that confirm what I'm saying before citing them as evidence that I'm wrong...).
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

centurion
Observer
Observer

06 Feb 2022 23:18

Thanks Master Dawn

If I could just bother you one more time and I will be happy little peach if I can achieve this.
Here is that link to the Youtube video illustrating the effect I had.
I seriously cannot recall how I set it, I thought it was a straight forward setting in the menus but maybe I did set it at console.
Just not so obvious to me now for some reason, early on set dementia I suppose.

Thanks alot mate in advance and to all you guys for programming such a great piece of software.

Richard

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

07 Feb 2022 03:49

Yes, I am sure.
I will do that.
But I can't search for them in filter settings.
You can easily find them when sorting by class, they will be near the top or bottom of the list.
Well, let me say it with other words: It would be nice if the user could somehow add details of his own location on earth. For example with equirectangular 360° images. Or in any other way.
But that would only result in a small sphere with that texture in it, it would not actually add any details to the 3D environment. If you want to add textured spheres then you can do that already.
"Cylindirical projection" is a different thing. It has a nonlinear y axis. Cylindrical projection with 180° vertical field of view is impossible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_proje ... ylindrical
Did you read that link? It clearly lists equirectangular as a type of cylindrical projection. Equirectangular is in fact the simplest type of cylindrical projection; if you place a sphere within a cylinder whose height is equal to the diameter of the sphere, and project the surface of the sphere radially outward from the central axis of the cylinder, the cylinder will contain a map of the sphere in equirectangular projection. I wish you could accept that I know and understand these things (and that you would read the links that confirm what I'm saying before citing them as evidence that I'm wrong...).
I just wanted to chime in and say that was an excellent description....I was able to picture it in my head.

mkoch
Observer
Observer

07 Feb 2022 09:11

> But that would only result in a small sphere with that texture in it, it would not actually add any details to the 3D environment. If you want to add textured spheres then you can do that already.
Where can I find an example for adding a textured sphere?

> Did you read that link? It clearly lists equirectangular as a type of cylindrical projection. Equirectangular is in fact the simplest type of cylindrical projection; if you place a sphere within a cylinder whose height is equal to the diameter of the sphere, and project the surface of the sphere radially outward from the central axis of the cylinder, the cylinder will contain a map of the sphere in equirectangular projection.
Sorry, I think your example is wrong because altitude=45° in the sphere is mapped to height=0.707 in the cylinder, and altitude=90° in the sphere is mapped to height=1 in the cylinder. That's a nonlinear function and not an equirectangular projection. I agree that equirectangular projection belongs to the class of cylindrical projections. Calling the projection "equirectangular" would make it clearer which projection is meant from the large class of cylindrical projections.
Michael

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

07 Feb 2022 15:13

Where can I find an example for adding a textured sphere?
You do it as a spacecraft model. You can read the manual for making addons for more information.
Sorry, I think your example is wrong because altitude=45° in the sphere is mapped to height=0.707 in the cylinder, and altitude=90° in the sphere is mapped to height=1 in the cylinder. That's a nonlinear function and not an equirectangular projection.
You're right, my description was not accurate. However, my point that equirectangular is a type of cylindrical projection and that cylindrical projections with a 180° vertical FOV can fit on a finite map still stands.
If I could just bother you one more time and I will be happy little peach if I can achieve this.
Here is that link to the Youtube video illustrating the effect I had.
I seriously cannot recall how I set it, I thought it was a straight forward setting in the menus but maybe I did set it at console.
Yes, I understood the first time what you were talking about. You can only do that in the console. Type set motionblurlength 10 - or whatever number you want - in the console. Type set motionblurlength 0 to reset to default.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

spacerho
Observer
Observer

17 Feb 2022 15:32

Can SpaceEngine include depiction of spaghettification near non-supermassive black holes?

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

19 Feb 2022 14:57

Can SpaceEngine include depiction of spaghettification near non-supermassive black holes?
Difficult and probably too much work to be worthwhile compared to other things that could be worked on. There wouldn't be much to see anyway. Spaghettification of something falling into a black hole happens very fast -- for something the size of a person it would happen within 0.1 seconds of meeting the singularity, independently of the mass of the black hole.

TheAquaGamer
Observer
Observer

19 Feb 2022 19:19

The star browser should filter stars in addition to just planets and moons. The current system makes it impossible to isolate non-primary stars that don't have any planets.

Brett001
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

20 Feb 2022 05:08

Idea: a deep sky object finder, like the star browser. With the same operating principle. Searches within a radius of the specified light year: planetary nebula, diffuse nebula, open cluster, globular cluster.
My meteorological website: http://www.weather-szolnok.hu/template
My PC: CPU: Intel i5-6500| RAM:16GB (2x8) DDR4| VGA: Gigabyte GTX960 4GB VRAM| Monitor:Dell U2713H

Gremio
Observer
Observer

22 Feb 2022 11:58

I actually have two Ideas
1. It would be cool to have a very basic walk animation button so that if you press it it will just put you on the surface of the object like the land on object already does just this time about 180cm above it and limited to a walking speed maybe even with a small head bob animation and possibly some basic foot stomping sound effects...I know that the level of detail this close isn't really fleshed out yet but when you come across some gigantic landscape it would help to bring a bit of immersion and give the place much more size because you'd see how it would be actually walking there

2. More Irregular Asteroids and Asteroids in general...If you look for the 67p Comet in the game you have a very cool irregular shape which you would see often among asteroids and comets but these non round shapes aren't implemented into the procedurally generated Asteroids yet even though I think it would make exploring procedural asteroids much more enjoyable....
Now I know that the mentioned comet currently doesn't have Player collision and my guess is that its because of the irregular shape and the game itself handling collision in round-ish objects only, so there would probably be some high level engine tweaking needed for this to work but it would still be a really cool addition...oh and also add more Asteroids to the generated systems in general....when you open the map on the solar system you can see hundreds of asteroids just floating around and in the procedural systems there are none apart from the dwarf moons

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Re: General suggestions for SpaceEngine

01 Apr 2022 15:23

Difficult and probably too much work to be worthwhile compared to other things that could be worked on. There wouldn't be much to see anyway. Spaghettification of something falling into a black hole happens very fast -- for something the size of a person it would happen within 0.1 seconds of meeting the singularity, independently of the mass of the black hole.
In a real black hole, you likely wouldn't get close enough to experience spaghettification before hitting the inner horizon and being incinerated due to mass inflation.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

13 Apr 2022 19:27

The spaceship docking corridors: the position coordinates for the corridors need to take the position of the camera's of the docking ship into account. 

For example, Ship A may have the pilot cockpit camera maybe just over the docking port, so you can adjust the docking corridor position of the "mother" ship to match. But now Ship B may have the cockpit much further behind and above the docking port. So now the docking corridor is out of position.

Or even a different camera on the same docking ship. Bottom line, docking corridor position needs to be offset by the current active camera position of said docking ship.

Make sense?
990-00243.jpg
990-00244.jpg

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

14 Apr 2022 14:33

Make sense?
No, please rephrase.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

14 Apr 2022 15:15

Make sense?
No, please rephrase.
Alright, I'll try...

Currently, the docking corridors get their position coordinates from the ship being docked to. But the ship you are flying will almost certainly have the camera positioned away from the docking port. This can be compensated for by moving the docking corridor coordinates, but will only be good for that one camera position.

In the screenshots I attached above — since the shuttle actually has no cockpit windows — I placed a camera on top of the vertical tail. (Good a place as any if you have to fly by camera.) But if I switch to a different camera, the docking corridor will be in the wrong place. The same will hold true for two different design ships, with camera positions possibly radically different from each other with respect to the ship's docking port.

It should be a simple matter for S.E. to calculate the offset needed for the docking corridor with respect to the camera being used.

As it is now, you can set up the docking corridor for one camera on one type of ship, but trying to dock another ship into the dock means the second ship needs to have the docking camera (which is usually going to be the main cockpit/bridge camera) and docking port in the same relative positions.

Now does it make sense?