Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Intergalactic trip in preparation

21 Oct 2021 21:46

Tough call... ridiculously powerful engines will get you where want to go quicker, and orbital maneuvers will likely be quicker, but I think you will lose some fine control (using the on-screen controls, or mousewheel, best you can do is 1% increments — not sure if an external throttle will give you that fine control). That fine control may be the difference between flying off into space or crashing into the ground when flying in-atmosphere. Only you can decide that.

You could try using a starship with the fast hyperdrive you like, and add a dock to it (if it doesn't already have one). Dock a planetship or shuttle that has the attributes better suited for in-atmosphere flight to that dock. That way you also get to practice orbital maneuvers, rendezvous, and docking. :)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Oct 2021 00:10

There's an Enterprise ship on here (I think it's 1701 E) which has engine speed of 1000 km/s which is ridiculous and I could never fly that in the atmosphere of a planet, not that those ships are designed for air flight anyway.  I'll keep these ships at 85 and 8.66 g and just pump up the warp when I need extremely fast speed, 16 should be fast enough to handle anything.  I got to the Andromeda Galaxy in 4 minutes with Warp 16 and engines at 0 lol and thats fast enough to get anywhere in the SE universe if you ask me!  By the way what do you think of these new ships I have? I'm going to share another one with 8 cameras, I can't decide which is better so I've decided to use both and just hop between them midflight lol.
scr07856.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Oct 2021 00:12

Another image just before I get to the center of M31
scr07857.jpg

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

22 Oct 2021 03:11

I haven't tried them myself. But if they work for you, that's all that matters, right?

Beautiful cluster, though.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Oct 2021 23:26

There's a file in the folder of the Prometheus and one of the other ships I downloaded called "blue warp" it makes the images look blue when in warp, I find that useful to see the image blueshifted.  I want to use that with the other ships too, so can I just copy and paste it into their folders or do I have to add or edit a line in the sss file to make it work?  I dont see anything different in the sss files of the ones that have it vs ones that dont, so perhaps I have to edit a different file to make it work? Or can I just paste the blue warp file into the folder for the ship?

Oh and I reviewed all 6 of these ships, I really like 1 and 2, and 3 is also very good.  4 is a nice ship but my issue with it is that a lot of the interior views while well furnished, dont have windows and you cant see outside, which is what you really need in a universe sim lol.  5 and 6 are also good, besides 6, 5 is the only other one that comes with the blue warp file, but their interiors aren't as detailed as the first 4.  Number 1 and 2 are definitely my go to ships now and I've set them all to warp 16 and changed the aeromodel setting of 1 to "shuttle" to match the other ships of the series.  The following lists all the ships and how many cameras they have, the first number is number of interior/cockpit cameras and the second number is number of exterior cameras and the ones with blue warp are listed also.  I listed them in order of preference, so I will be using 1 and 2 a lot and perhaps 3 from time to time too.

Prometheus  6-2  blue warp

Watcher of the Skies 6-2

Argon Light Fighter 2 4-1

Plutus Minor 2  5-1

Argon Courier 5-1  blue warp

Cerberus Vanguard 2-1

all are 85.00 m/sec2 (8.66 g)

warp 16 now

all shuttle now

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Oct 2021 02:04

Well, now I might need to put the Watcher ship ahead of Prometheus, because the Watcher ship seems to be more stable flying through the atmosphere of a planet.  I tried both over the same planet and even though I fine tuned the main engines and hover engines settings, the Prometheus always seems to either crash into the planet or fly off of it, so changing the aero model from none to shuttle probably wasn't enough.  Watcher seems to have a much gentler slope for air flight (even though the engines of the two ships are of the same strength) and seems to be much easier to keep in the atmosphere.  I'll do more testing to make sure.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

24 Oct 2021 11:59

As long as you found something that works for you, that's great. Having options is always nice, as not everybody wants or likes the same things. :)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Oct 2021 00:54

As long as you found something that works for you, that's great. Having options is always nice, as not everybody wants or likes the same things. :)
I'm a bit confounded by this blue warp thing, some of the ships have it some don't  I found some extra files in the ships' folders that have them but I'm not sure I can just copy and paste them into the ships' folders that dont have them because I think they might need to be renamed since they have the name of the ship in the name.  They are type .sm and type .rar files; the one in the Prometheus folder is called PrometheusBlueWarp.rar and there's another file in there with an .sm extension.  The one in the Argon Courier ship folder is the .sm file with the same name as the ship.  Will these create the blue warp effect if I move them into other ship folders and just rename them to the name of the ship folder?  I'm not so sure because when I changed the Aero Model line in the .sss file to Shuttle, it didn't seem to make the Prometheus easier to use in the atmosphere of a planet I selected (Kepler 442 b).  Also, the Prometheus folder has a bunch of extra files in a second subfolder, including a new model of the Milky Way.  It's a pretty well done ship model, 600 MB file size!  Plutinus has about the same file size, but it doesn't have enough camera views with windows to the outside for my taste.
I just might switch between ships midflight depending on what I want to do at the moment (using one to fly intergalactically while another is exploring a planet), because I like each ship for different reasons and don't have a one ship fits all solution yet.  Since I have all set to Warp 16 I can get to anywhere in the SE Universe pretty quickly.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

25 Oct 2021 12:06

No idea, myself. Never heard of this blue warp before.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Oct 2021 23:04

No idea, myself. Never heard of this blue warp before.
I talked to the developer and he told me that creating the blue warp effect simply involves resizing the ship.  So I have to do that in the .sss file (either make it smaller or larger, I'll likely go larger).