Ultimate space simulation software

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

BREAKING: New potentially habitable exoplanet found around Teegarden's star

27 Jun 2019 08:19

------------------------------------------------------
Merged from the "BREAKING: New potentially habitable exoplanet found around Teegarden's star" topic

SpaceEngine does not add new exoplanets automatically. I do it myself and release in a next planned update.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jun 2019 22:49

Merged from the "BREAKING: New potentially habitable exoplanet found around Teegarden's star" topic
Will this planet be added to 0.990 automatically or should I add JD's version manually?
In the latest version of SE 0.990, the planets of Teegarden's Star are already included.
You do not need my version anymore.
Oh sorry, I thought those were procedurals, I didn't know that star had so many planets!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jun 2019 22:55

SpaceEngine does not add new exoplanets automatically. I do it myself and release in a next planned update.
Thanks I love the 1660 Beta!
It works well but there are a couple of things I dont understand

I have either found a bug or a side effect of the new version.  When you land on a planet or moon and there are objects in the sky, you can click on some of them to highlight them and view their names and go to them as with the previous version.  But on some you can't do that!  Why is that?  Some of the objects I cant select or go to by clicking on them are objects in the solar system of the object I am on and some are other stars- there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.  I can select and go to objects just fine if I am in space, just not in many cases if I am on the surface of an object.
I am on 1660 Beta now and the graphics memory usage is much less so I am in Ultra mode now [img=24x24]http://forum.spaceengine.org/images/smi ... _smile.png[/img]
One thing with the new version, I see a saturation illumination slider and it is set to Auto, what does that do?  I tried unchecking Auto and changed the setting to 2, and it changes the colors of the atmosphere and when set all the way up it makes a planet and its atmosphere look red?  When set to Auto it shows a pattern of different colors for the atmosphere depending on whether the sun is in the field of view, so I kept it at that.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

30 Jun 2019 00:10

oh sorry, I thought those were procedurals, I didn't know that star had so many planets!
There are only two planets. And with the latest version of course I meant version 35.1660. (I had this version already a bit earlier.)
(Of course, the many planets in the previous version were procedural.)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Jun 2019 02:10

I see that was cleaned up in the new version and that planets I had previously saved look different now (different colored skies and different terrain!)

Any idea why when you land on a planet that the objects in its sky are sometimes not selectable by clicking on them?  It happens with some objects and not others.

alfa015
Astronaut
Astronaut

The search for habitable exoplanets in Alpha Centauri

26 Oct 2019 14:13

Merged from the "The search for habitable exoplanets in Alpha Centauri" topic

In October 2012, astronomers announced the discovery of an exoplanet orbiting the star Alpha Centauri B. However, three years later, they concluded that it probably doesn’t exist. In 2013, astronomers also detected another possible exoplanet, but it hasn’t been confirmed yet. As of today, no exoplanets have been discovered around Alpha Centauri A or B.

There are several ongoing projects to search for habitable exoplanets in Alpha Centauri:

The Expresso spectrograph, which started operating in October 2018, is able to detect radial velocities of less than 10 cm/s.

Another promising instrument is called NEAR, which stands for Near Earths in the AlphaCen Region. NEAR is a thermal infrared coronagraph that blocks most of the light coming from Alpha Centauri in order to resolve possible exoplanets around the star. This coronagraph can detect exoplanets 2 times the radius of the Earth.

Project Blue is another interesting project that might help us discover the closest Earth-like planet. It is a small space telescope with a coronagraph that will directly image the habitable zones of the Alpha Centauri system. The telescope will be able to detect exoplanets between 0.5 and 1.5 times the radius of the Earth. The launch of the telescope is expected to take place in 2023.

NASA is also working on a space telescope with coronagraph called ACEND, which stands for Alpha Centauri Direct Imager.

Breakthrough Initiatives is now working on a space telescope called TOLIBOY that will use astrometry to map the motion of the Alpha Centauri stars and search for a perturbation in the positions. The telescope is expected to be launched in 2021.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEpxEVXmZc

Do you think all the agencies and companies should join efforts and build just 1 big space coronagraph, or, as they seem to be doing now, work on different ones?

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

28 Oct 2019 03:13

I think they'll work on different ones and then work together for the same goal.
It's a good thing to have multiple instruments looking at the same thing, so you can be sure is not an artifact or a false positive.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 Oct 2019 08:58

At least one very powerful flare has been observed emitted from Alpha Centauri B, which would quickly toast most Earth life including humans, so any planets would not be "habitable" in the literal sense.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Oct 2019 05:42

At least one very powerful flare has been observed emitted from Alpha Centauri B, which would quickly toast most Earth life including humans, so any planets would not be "habitable" in the literal sense.
These red dwarfs might be a no go for life.  We should stick with sunlike stars like Tau Ceti and Epsilon Eridani which have a much higher chance for life.

alfa015
Astronaut
Astronaut

Plants in Super Habitable Exoplanets Could Look Purple

31 Dec 2019 16:33

Here some mind-blowing possibilities about super habitable exoplanets:

1. The colour of the sky could be light blue, similar to the colour of the sky on Earth in summer. 

2. The oceans could be shallow, with a turquoise blue colour.

3. The vegetation could cover more regions than in Earth, and the colour of the trees could be purple. 

Do you agree with these hypotheses?

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Exoplanets news thread

02 Jan 2020 02:08

The video doesn't provide any explanation for the three hypotheses, so I can't agree nor disagree, what I can do is try to give an explanation.

About the sky it depends on the composition, blue is probably one of the most common colors in atmopheres (see earth, saturn, neptune) so yeah it might be.

About the oceans, if gravity is higher than Earth probably terrain is a bit flatter too, but it purely depends on the quantity of water on the surface, so it's impossible to say if it's a common feature or not. The color... yeah, water in high quantities is blue so if oceans are made of water and the atmosphere is blue, oceans can't be any color but blue/turquoise. This might be a quite common feature.

About the vegetation, I have no idea why an hypothetical earth-like vegetation should be purple. Is not a color of the black body spectrum, so plants would have no benefits reflecting it. Also "purple" doesn't have higher wave frequency than blue as we might think (because it's ultraviolet radiation) but it's just the fusion between blue (it have been also called violet) and red. On earth there are very few plants which are purple, and they're mostly flowers, so, as long as there are not biological processes that we don't know, it's very unlikely that natural selection would select purple plants rather than any other color. If the parent star was a bit dimmer than the Sun, that is the case for superhabitable planets, and assuming these plants gain energy using the light coming from their star, the most likely color would be red/orange, which is the peak of color in the spectrum emitted by K stars and because they would get less light from the sky, so they need to keep the nutrients and protect the leaf from falling prematurely.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Exoplanets news thread

03 Jan 2020 06:38

The video doesn't provide any explanation for the three hypotheses, so I can't agree nor disagree, what I can do is try to give an explanation.

About the sky it depends on the composition, blue is probably one of the most common colors in atmopheres (see earth, saturn, neptune) so yeah it might be.

About the oceans, if gravity is higher than Earth probably terrain is a bit flatter too, but it purely depends on the quantity of water on the surface, so it's impossible to say if it's a common feature or not. The color... yeah, water in high quantities is blue so if oceans are made of water and the atmosphere is blue, oceans can't be any color but blue/turquoise. This might be a quite common feature.

About the vegetation, I have no idea why an hypothetical earth-like vegetation should be purple. Is not a color of the black body spectrum, so plants would have no benefits reflecting it. Also "purple" doesn't have higher wave frequency than blue as we might think (because it's ultraviolet radiation) but it's just the fusion between blue (it have been also called violet) and red. On earth there are very few plants which are purple, and they're mostly flowers, so, as long as there are not biological processes that we don't know, it's very unlikely that natural selection would select purple plants rather than any other color. If the parent star was a bit dimmer than the Sun, that is the case for superhabitable planets, and assuming these plants gain energy using the light coming from their star, the most likely color would be red/orange, which is the peak of color in the spectrum emitted by K stars and because they would get less light from the sky, so they need to keep the nutrients and protect the leaf from falling prematurely.
there are some decidious trees that develop a purple-like color during the fall/autumn.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Exoplanets news thread

09 Jan 2020 05:18

there are some decidious trees that develop a purple-like color during the fall/autumn.
Yeah, purple/red, always because of anthocyanin. Depending on the concentration of anthocyanin/chlorophyll and eventual other compounds, leafs of some trees range from violet to orange. It's not impossible but a planet around a K star would probably just be on an "eternal autumn".

On M stars they would be even darker, like dark red/violet or black.

P.S: We're doing pure speculation here!

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Exoplanets news thread

10 Jan 2020 10:21

Yeah, purple/red, always because of anthocyanin. Depending on the concentration of anthocyanin/chlorophyll and eventual other compounds, leafs of some trees range from violet to orange. It's not impossible but a planet around a K star would probably just be on an "eternal autumn".

On M stars they would be even darker, like dark red/violet or black.

P.S: We're doing pure speculation here!
I wonder if these colors will be programmed into SE in the future!  I've seen scientists mention these colors also.  I would love to see foliage that was that color (or even changed colors depending on the season!)  If there are already examples of this in SE please point me to those planets!
BTW there was news that an earthlike earthsized exoplanet was discovered this week that was at the right temp for liquid water around a star 100 LY away that was 40% the size of the sun?  Is this in SE already?
Also heard news of a planet discovered that orbits two stars- the discovery was made by a high schooler in his third day of NASA internship!

Benny Bitcoin
Observer
Observer

Exoplanets news thread

10 Jan 2020 15:33

Could it be possible to mod this into Space Engine?
https://www.space.com/alien-planet-wasp-121b-shaped-like-football.htmlImage