Sci-Fi (and other genre) Movies & TV Series

24 Jun 2019 14:58

Stargate is totally awesome!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

18 Nov 2019 06:46

I watched The Wandering Earth movie on a flight from Japan to Europe recently.  It certainly takes the prize for the most scientifically nonsense script ever!  Oh boy.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

20 Nov 2019 19:17

More nonsense than Armageddon, The Core, or even 2012?  Now I am intrigued...

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Nov 2019 23:23

Absolutely!  All mashed together in a single script.  But there is more, they also threw in the father-child theme from Interstellar.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

21 Nov 2019 00:13

Did I just see a guy yelling "screw you" while firing a machine gun at Jupiter?

[youtube]_lsOwtKNsAA[/youtube]

I think I need to see this movie.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2019 01:25

:D Let us know what you think.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2019 11:30

More nonsense than the Marvel films?
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2019 13:41

Marvel films belong to a different genre.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2019 14:15

Why? One could call the Marvel films also science fiction. But for me both are just fantasy. With a lot of action and many visual effects.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Nov 2019 14:43

I think science fiction aims to be credible.  Fantasy, where I would place superheros, does not aim to be credible.  I'd regard the Marvel films as fantasy, Star Wars likewise.  I'm placing Star Trek, Interstellar, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and such in the science fiction category, though things like wormholes, portals, artificial gravity are all fantasy, surely as portrayed, but there is no hard line between the genres.

Is the Wandering Earth worth watching?  It was certainly ok for killing a couple of hours of an 11 hour flight.  Acting was good in the sense that they were able to deliver the lines with a straight face.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Nov 2019 04:35

Acting was good in the sense that they were able to deliver the lines with a straight face.
[youtube]mPDOy75sFhU[/youtube]
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Nov 2019 12:04

I think science fiction aims to be credible.  Fantasy, where I would place superheros, does not aim to be credible.  I'd regard the Marvel films as fantasy, Star Wars likewise.  I'm placing Star Trek, Interstellar, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 and such in the science fiction category, though things like wormholes, portals, artificial gravity are all fantasy, surely as portrayed, but there is no hard line between the genres.

Is the Wandering Earth worth watching?  It was certainly ok for killing a couple of hours of an 11 hour flight.  Acting was good in the sense that they were able to deliver the lines with a straight face.
It depends on how wormholes are portrayed, if they are portrayed in the strict Einsteinian sense than that's not fantasy- Interstellar was hard science fiction and the great physicist Kip Thorne oversaw its production.

Where does Superman fit in for you?  Considering he feeds off the energy of the yellow sun and comes from a dimmer, redder sun.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Nov 2019 13:13

Where does Superman fit in for you?
I think it's fantasy.  His powers are more like magic than something scientific.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Nov 2019 13:19

Where does Superman fit in for you?
I think it's fantasy.  His powers are more like magic than something scientific.
They went way overboard with describing his strength.  I would think that kind of strength could only exist on a planet with a much higher level of gravity, so when he came to Earth he would be much stronger.  Not sure where the flying ability came from although someone who originated on a planet with a much higher level of gravity should be able to do extended hops similar to what astronauts did on the Moon.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

22 Nov 2019 17:47

I too would put Superman in fantasy instead of sci-fi.  Sci-fi can have a big range in terms of hardness, but the key difference from fantasy is how it explains how things work.

Superman flies because -- I don't know how Superman flies.  He just does.  It is a convenient and ill-defined magic. It is part of a character used for story telling and the story is how he helps people in situations where no normal human being would be able to help, because that makes him a superhero.  And he's practically invincible because that's convenient and also helps make him a good superhero, save for exposure to a made up substance because... (wait, why is Superman vulnerable to Kryptonite again?).  Google, help me:
The prevailing theory in geekdom is that kryptonite can kill Superman because it disrupts his solar panel-like energy absorption.
That's the essence of fantasy right there.  It left people to their own devices to try to explain why something in that universe works the way it does.  Superman's powers might as well come from the same place as Thor's, or Sauron's.