Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

TRAPPIST-1

09 Apr 2017 21:01

I made a planet addon just for TRAPPIST-1 e - It adds onto the TRAPPIST-1 plugin made by SpaceEngineer, and will add on to the TRAPPIST-1 system that will be released in a future update.
Thanks!  Would this go in the addons folder right along with the .pak file?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 09 Apr 2017 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

TRAPPIST-1

09 Apr 2017 21:23

https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.04166

Based on that paper, Trappist-1 is a flare star (much like Proxima Centauri) so the chances of any kind of advanced life on its planets is unlikely, though simple unicellular life might still exist.

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 14:17

Based on that paper, Trappist-1 is a flare star (much like Proxima Centauri) so the chances of any kind of advanced life on its planets is unlikely, though simple unicellular life might still exist.
:)

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 14:19

I made a planet addon just for TRAPPIST-1 e - It adds onto the TRAPPIST-1 plugin made by SpaceEngineer, and will add on to the TRAPPIST-1 system that will be released in a future update.
Thanks!  Would this go in the addons folder right along with the .pak file?
Put the file in addons/catalogs/planets

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 19:36

I've been reading up on this some more and it seems like more advanced life MIGHT be possible if the planet can retain its atmosphere.  What is required is a strong magnetic field.  We recently found a planet that still has its atmosphere intact in this kind of scenario (I posted the link somewhere on this site lol) so all hope is not yet lost!  The universe constantly surprises us.

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

TRAPPIST-1

10 Apr 2017 22:38

I've been reading up on this some more and it seems like more advanced life MIGHT be possible if the planet can retain its atmosphere.  What is required is a strong magnetic field.  We recently found a planet that still has its atmosphere intact in this kind of scenario (I posted the link somewhere on this site lol) so all hope is not yet lost!  The universe constantly surprises us.
YAY :)

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

TRAPPIST-1

17 Apr 2017 09:02

The new article is out, with measurement of masses of all planets using combined Kepler and Spitzer data. Outer planets became much less massive then thought before. Planet h is just 7 masses of Ganymede - smaller than Mars (although error is 100%). Densities of all outer planets are less than 2, so they must be composed of water and/or ice. So updated mod have these classes for planets: b, с - desert, d - terra, e, f - oceania (partially frozen), g, h - ice world.
TRAPPIST-1.pak
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 633 times

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

TRAPPIST-1

17 Apr 2017 09:57

ok so i calculated myself the gravity of the planets after an updated article of the planets's mass and here my results:
planet b= 0.679g
planet c= 1.463g
planet d= 0.554g
planet e= 0.713g
planet f= 0.33g
planet g= 0.446g
planet h= 0.167g

for planet e i used an average of 0.56xEarth mass
it seems in your addon you used other value that changed the g alot (our two results...) but i am probably the one who got it wrong
so it seems planet g Is not a gas planet after all? very lower g than first results expacted...
took my half an hour to calculate all of that but it was good exercise for my mind  :)
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

TRAPPIST-1

17 Apr 2017 12:57

Planet g never though to be a gas planet with a mass of ~1 Earths.

plu93
Observer
Observer

TRAPPIST-1

16 May 2017 12:59

add old vrsion 1.48?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

TRAPPIST-1

25 May 2017 01:02

The new article is out, with measurement of masses of all planets using combined Kepler and Spitzer data. Outer planets became much less massive then thought before. Planet h is just 7 masses of Ganymede - smaller than Mars (although error is 100%). Densities of all outer planets are less than 2, so they must be composed of water and/or ice. So updated mod have these classes for planets: b, с - desert, d - terra, e, f - oceania (partially frozen), g, h - ice world.
TRAPPIST-1.pak
I've been playing with SE quite a bit and I found this version of the pak does not allow you to land on the planets (besides c) and when you click on a planet it instead shows the stars that lie beyond it.  So I went back to the March .pak and I can now land on all the planets again.

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut

TRAPPIST-1

06 Jul 2017 04:09

thank you Vladimir, for all the help. Funny story, using spaceengine we even corrected some of NASA's early press release images, since we noticed that Orion on their images looked different to ours (ESO), from Trappist-1 point of view. I checked trappist-1 position on the catalogue files of SE and it all looked correct, so we prompted them, and upon checking they had their coordinates for Trappist-1 wrong (they were using Uniview), and then corrected it!  ;)

So yes, thanks once again!
Oh gosh! Are you from European South Observatory? 
"...perch`e i nostri discorsi hanno a essere sopra un mondo sensibile, e non sopra un mondo di carta."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8G RAM: 32 GBs Storage (of SE): WD SN750 250G

alfa015
Astronaut
Astronaut

TRAPPIST-1

26 Jul 2017 17:39

TRAPPIST 1 - a system of an ultra-small red dwarf (just 0.08 Solar masses) with a 7 Earth-sized exoplanets, 3 of which are in the habitable zone, has been discovered recently. (Well, first planets in this system was discovered in 2015, but today was presented 4 new planets).

Official press-release: https://www.eso.org/public/usa/news/eso1706/
You may recognize the software used to make some graphics and animations for it:)

To add this system to SE, download this file and put it into addons/ folder. Surface classes are given to planets based on their bulk density: b, f - oceania, d, e - terra, c, g, h - desert according to the new article, masses of outer planets are much less, so they all must be composed of water and/or ice: b, с - desert, d - terra, e, f - oceania (partially frozen), g, h - ice world.
Star luminosity is increased 2 times to make temperatures on planets more high (because in SE temperature calculation on planets of cool stars is somewhat inaccurate).

TRAPPIST-1.pak

The system map in the new planets Chart (coming in the 0.981). Maybe I should force 'correct' planet orientation in relation to the sun? Tidally locked planets looks weird without it.

scr00357.jpg

4k view from the planet b on a planets c, d, h and e. Planets there does not needs moons, neighbouring planets sometimes became as large in the sky as the Moon in Earth's sky (planet с on this image is 1.2°, or 2.5 times larger than the full Moon).

scr00356.jpg

4k view from the planet e on a parent star and planets b, c, d and f.

scr00352.jpg
i didn't find the pic of trappist e

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

TRAPPIST-1

02 Sep 2017 14:27

So, this is quite off-topic but I think this is the best place to put it.

There is a homeless senegalese inmigrant in Spain that got quite famous some years ago because of a rap song he did where he compared himself with santa claus (refering to the situation when had to run from police with all the top-manta pirated movies in a big sack). Ok nevermind, the thing is that he has made a trap song about TRAPPIST-1 and It made me gigle quite a lot (he talks about the problems humanity faces in a sort of pale-blue-dot-ish narrative way).

Have fun! (also there are SpaceEngine shots in the video).

:D

[youtube]GhqZhVeTud0[/youtube]

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer

TRAPPIST-1

02 Sep 2017 18:21

TRAPPIST-1 probably doesn't have all those Earth like planets. They are probably bairn worlds due to the stars activity. All the planets would need super powerful magnetic fields if they were to keep their atmosphere and water.. if they did have any in the first place. What a shame. :(