Ultimate space simulation software

Andromeda
Astronaut
Astronaut

TRAPPIST-1, colonization, Gloria, Snickers

24 Feb 2017 17:47

Pluton, your planets seem a little broken.
Attachments
scr00115.png

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Feb 2017 17:51

Andromeda, they look like that in the official addon as well
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Topic Author

24 Feb 2017 18:13

Andromeda, they look like that in the whole SE. There are many landscape elements that must be set to 0 so they don't cause trouble. Spiky montes for example are not useable at all but they also have a bug so they crush the planet if set to 0, only can be used 0.01. And there are much more of that. So tired to fight with game mechanics.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Feb 2017 18:14

Then don't fight, embrace it ;)
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

aimeilian
Observer
Observer

24 Feb 2017 18:29

Greetings!

Regarding gaseous planets: approximately Earth-mass and Earth-radius gaseous planets have been found. http://www.universetoday.com/107812/kep ... gas-giant/ Most scientists call them "mini-Neptunes"; I prefer the term "gas dwarf", as they probably have relatively much larger rocky/metallic cores than Neptune or Uranus.

Cheers!

aimeilian
Observer
Observer

24 Feb 2017 18:39

Also, speaking of TRAPPIST-1:

Last night I made an addon with my imagination of the TR-1 system. I used data from www.trappist.one which had estimated masses and densities for most of the system. Most of these planets' masses are poorly constrained at present, so for now it's really anyone's guess!

I will gladly explain my reasoning for the presentation of each planet here, if there is interest. In general, I considered that a magnetic field is necessary to the retention of substantial atmosphere; furthermore, that a planet needs a) a (semi-)molten core and b) a relatively fast rotation to maintain a significant magnetic field. While I have considered the TR-1 planets are hypothesized to be tidally-locked, I also noted that some studies suggest a planet can avoid tidal locking in the presence of a substantial hydrosphere and relatively flat ocean floor (thus decoupling the planet's solid surface from its liquid surface, such that only the ocean itself is tidally locked).

Cheers!
Attachments
TRAPPIST-1.sc
(283 Bytes) Downloaded 622 times
TRAPPIST-1-planets.sc
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

Andromeda
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Feb 2017 19:16

I changed your addon a bit, now it's more organized and all the unknown variables are randomized. I also added discovery dates and methods. Unfortunately SE doesn't support luminosity in different wavelengths so TRAPPIST-1 is a bit brighter than it's supposed to be to be able to heat up the planets enough (all infrared radiation shifted to visible).

Just drop the PAK into SpaceEngine/addons.
Attachments
TRAPPIST-1.pak
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

Andromeda
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Feb 2017 19:21

Also, I have a question: how do we know the temperatures of the planets if they were discovered by their transit?

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Topic Author

24 Feb 2017 19:29

Andromeda, I think we know it from star characteristics: luminosity 0,000525. But there is something wrong in SE so it doesn't make planets warm enough with that digit. Scientists know things better, need to trust them.

Andromeda
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Feb 2017 19:31

Andromeda, I think we know it from star characteristics: luminosity 0,000525. But there is something wrong in SE so it doesn't make planets warm enough with that digit. Scientists know things better, need to trust them.
Never mind, I found the answer:

"The main advantage of the transit method is that the size of the planet can be determined from the lightcurve. When combined with the radial-velocity method (which determines the planet's mass) one can determine the density of the planet, and hence learn something about the planet's physical structure. The planets that have been studied by both methods are by far the best-characterized of all known exoplanets."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_o ... photometry

aimeilian
Observer
Observer

24 Feb 2017 19:57

I changed your addon a bit, now it's more organized and all the unknown variables are randomized. I also added discovery dates and methods. Unfortunately SE doesn't support luminosity in different wavelengths so TRAPPIST-1 is a bit brighter than it's supposed to be to be able to heat up the planets enough (all infrared radiation shifted to visible).

Mine or Pluton's?
Also as Pluton noted, SE isn't providing the correct luminosity for an M8 V star, but that's easily rectified. SE does do a good job of calculating effective temperatures, but I'm not convinced of its greenhouse calculations, nor of its atmospheres in general. My mod includes (one educated guess at) realistic atmospheres, but obviously all that is pure conjecture given how little we know about these planets so far.
It's also important to note that the error bars on these planets' masses (thus densities) is often greater than half the cited estimates. I personally would love to see the community tackle e.g. higher-end guesstimates, which could make some of TRAPPIST-1's planets into super-Earths or mini-Neptunes.
Cheers!

Andromeda
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 Feb 2017 07:11

Mine or Pluton's?
Also as Pluton noted, SE isn't providing the correct luminosity for an M8 V star, but that's easily rectified. SE does do a good job of calculating effective temperatures, but I'm not convinced of its greenhouse calculations, nor of its atmospheres in general. My mod includes (one educated guess at) realistic atmospheres, but obviously all that is pure conjecture given how little we know about these planets so far.
It's also important to note that the error bars on these planets' masses (thus densities) is often greater than half the cited estimates. I personally would love to see the community tackle e.g. higher-end guesstimates, which could make some of TRAPPIST-1's planets into super-Earths or mini-Neptunes.
Cheers!
Doesn't really matter since I deleted everything except for what's been confirmed, but if you want to know it was Pluton's.

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Topic Author

26 Feb 2017 08:34

Wait, you what? You took my work without asking me and deleted nearly everything from it???

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

26 Feb 2017 13:03

You raise a big fuss about how copyright protection has no place on the internet, and now you take issue with someone releasing a modified version of your work?  You are ridiculous. :)

Pluton
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Topic Author

26 Feb 2017 15:43

This is not about copyright or respect. He DELETED stuff. He made his own useless version instead of a designed one.
Look up - there was already 1 upload with ADDING stuff and I am not against it.