Ultimate space simulation software

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

Mods and Addons - Requests, suggestions and ideas

23 May 2021 18:48

Can anyone make a texture based on the Pokemon planet (its texture is based on how it is depicted in the anime), featuring the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar regions? Or even Pokemonized constellations: Andromeda=Gothitelle, Antlia=Jigglypuff, Apus=Oricorio (Baile style), Aquarius=Lombre, Aquila=Braviary, Ara=Victini, Aries=Dubwool, Auriga=Dragapult, Bootes=Lycanroc (Midnight form), Caelum=Pikipek, Camelopardalis=Girafarig, Cancer=Krabby, Canes Venatici=two Poochyena, Canis Major=Boltund, Canis Minor=Yamper, Capricornus=Primarina, Carina=Lapras' head, Cassiopeia=Tsareena, Centaurus=Tauros, Cepheus=Slowking, Cetus=Kyogre, Chamaeleon=Sobble, Circinus=Unown A, Columba=Pidove, Coma Bernieces=Misdreavus, Corona Australis=Lunatone, Corona Borealis=Solrock, Corvus=Murkrow, Crater=Sinistea, Crux=Unown X, Cygnus=Swanna, Delphinus=Lanturn, Dorado=Gorebyss, Draco=Rayquaza, Equuleus=Galarian Ponyta, Eridanus=Milotic, Fornax=Coalossal, Gemini=Plusle and Minun, Grus=Moltres, Hercules=Lucario, Horologium=Hoothoot, Hydra=Eternatus, Hydrus=Ekans, Indus=Xatu, Lacerta=Salandit, Leo=Arcanine, Leo Minor=Growlithe, Lepus=Raboot, Libra=Metang, Lupus=Mightyena, Lynx=Liepard, Lyra=Jirachi, Mensa=Avalugg, Microscopium=Unown C, Monoceros=Galarian Rapidash, Musca=Masquerain, Norma=Unown F, Octans=Unown V, Ophiuchus=Machoke, Orion=Gallade, Pavo=Ho-oh, Pegasus=Rapidash, Perseus=Hawlucha, Phoenix=Talonflame, Pictor=Smeargle, Pisces=Red- and Blue-Striped Basculin, Piscis Austrinus=Relicanth, Puppis=Lapras' lower body, Pyxis=Magnemite, Reticulum=Unown O, Sagitta=Arrowcuda, Sagittarius=Mudsdale, Scorpius=Scolipede, Sculptor=Darmanitan Zen form, Scutum=Aegislash, Serpens=Seviper, Sextans=Unown W, Taurus=Bouffalant, Telescopium=Beldum, Triangulum=Latias, Triangulum Australe=Latios, Tucana=Toucannon, Ursa Major=Ursaring, Ursa Minor=Teddiursa, Vela=Dhelmise, Virgo=Gardevoir, Volans=Lumineon, and Vulpecula=Fennekin.
Last edited by jjliang on 11 Jun 2021 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

30 May 2021 18:59

Or Strangereal (the Earth from Ace Combat), or a Super Mario Galaxy/Odyssey pack (composes of the globe from Odyssey and all of its kingdoms, and various planetoids from Galaxy like the Gateway Planet, various planets from Good Egg, Gusty Garden, and Sky Station Galaxies, the Comet Observatory, and Starship Mario), or the Lylat System from Star Fox?.
Last edited by jjliang on 02 Jul 2021 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

DocBrown
Observer
Observer

04 Jun 2021 10:01

Hello,
I'm using the actual Steam version (0.990.42.1830) and try drawing lines into space to show visible connections for orientation between Earth and other very distant objects. I already searched the forum and saw that also others wish such a feature.
I tried out the constellations hack proposed by Jack Dole, which works somehow with some restrictions and undesireable side effects.

The SE blog post from May 2018 (http://spaceengine.org/news/blog180521/) told, that it would be possible to turn on/off individual (!) constellations via scripting. Even lines, boundaries and labels could be controlled individually per constellation.
I made a lot of tries with script commands show/hide or showobject/hideobject on existing constellation like Orion=ori. Some combination showed "wrong parameter" errors, some were accepted but without any visible effect.
Only "select ori" and "center" worked for me as a kind of "individual" access.

Is the individual control of a constellation really working as stated in the blog post? If yes, how? The manual only describes how to make changes that affects all constellations.

Anyhow: is it planned to implement a drawing lines feature? I think many users in the educational area would be really happy for it.

Is it possible to meanwhile fix/hack that constellation lines are completely drawn until the referenced objects? The lines stop approx at 2000 AUs before (guess that was ment by the "small indent" in the planning list of the blog post) which isn't nice when traveling close to an object (e.g. Earth, line not visible when moving around near the center of our solar system, would be nice having a line going into the Earth's core).
Is there maybe an unpublished variable to reduce such indent to zero?

When setting the variables  ConstelLinesFadeStart/End  both to 1e+06, the lines are only visible from distances > 3 MLJ. So even with such variables it's hard getting lines that are permanently shown at any distance. Depending on the camera distance it's currently necessary to adapt their values dynamically to keep the lines visible.

Are there any suggestions?
Many thanks for your help/hints in advance!

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

06 Jun 2021 14:53

The SE blog post from May 2018 (http://spaceengine.org/news/blog180521/) told, that it would be possible to turn on/off individual (!) constellations via scripting. Even lines, boundaries and labels could be controlled individually per constellation.
I made a lot of tries with script commands show/hide or showobject/hideobject on existing constellation like Orion=ori. Some combination showed "wrong parameter" errors, some were accepted but without any visible effect.
Wrong variables. The right ones for constellation Orion are:

ConstLinesOri
ConstBoundaryOri
ConstLabelOri

...and 87 similar for other constellations. Use IAU abbreviation as a prefix of a variable.
Since these are variables, you control them by a command Set:

Set ConstLinesOri true
Set ConstBoundaryOri false

There are special variables to toggle all constellations and zodiacal ones:

ConstLinesAll
ConstBoundaryAll
ConstLabelAll
ConstLinesZodiac
ConstBoundaryZodiac
ConstLabelZodiac
Is it possible to meanwhile fix/hack that constellation lines are completely drawn until the referenced objects? The lines stop approx at 2000 AUs before (guess that was ment by the "small indent" in the planning list of the blog post) which isn't nice when traveling close to an object
Not possible. There is no ident, it's just a near clip plane at 0.01 parsec from the camera. Constelltion lines are rendered in star coordinate system (with distance unit of 1 parsec), while planetary systems are rendered in anoher coordinate system (with distance unit of 1 km). Precision limitation does not allow to use a single coordinate system, and this is not needed in SE because there are no object at this intermediate scale. Universe helps programmers :)
e.g. Earth, line not visible when moving around near the center of our solar system, would be nice having a line going into the Earth's core
Lines can connect only stars. They are static, impossible to implement this for moving objects (like planets).
When setting the variables  ConstelLinesFadeStart/End  both to 1e+06, the lines are only visible from distances > 3 MLJ. So even with such variables it's hard getting lines that are permanently shown at any distance.
Use commant SetU to set a variable to a value outside of its normal range:

SetU ConstelLinesFadeStart 1e+8

But I raised the upper limit of these variables to 1e+10 for the next patch.

DocBrown
Observer
Observer

06 Jun 2021 17:26

Wrong variables. The right ones for constellation Orion are:

ConstLinesOri
ConstBoundaryOri
ConstLabelOri

...and 87 similar for other constellations. Use IAU abbreviation as a prefix of a variable.
Since these are variables, you control them by a command Set:

Set ConstLinesOri true
Set ConstBoundaryOri false

There are special variables to toggle all constellations and zodiacal ones:

ConstLinesAll
ConstBoundaryAll
ConstLabelAll
ConstLinesZodiac
ConstBoundaryZodiac
ConstLabelZodiac
Is it possible to meanwhile fix/hack that constellation lines are completely drawn until the referenced objects? The lines stop approx at 2000 AUs before (guess that was ment by the "small indent" in the planning list of the blog post) which isn't nice when traveling close to an object
Not possible. There is no ident, it's just a near clip plane at 0.01 parsec from the camera. Constelltion lines are rendered in star coordinate system (with distance unit of 1 parsec), while planetary systems are rendered in anoher coordinate system (with distance unit of 1 km). Precision limitation does not allow to use a single coordinate system, and this is not needed in SE because there are no object at this intermediate scale. Universe helps programmers :)
e.g. Earth, line not visible when moving around near the center of our solar system, would be nice having a line going into the Earth's core
Lines can connect only stars. They are static, impossible to implement this for moving objects (like planets).
When setting the variables  ConstelLinesFadeStart/End  both to 1e+06, the lines are only visible from distances > 3 MLJ. So even with such variables it's hard getting lines that are permanently shown at any distance.
Use commant SetU to set a variable to a value outside of its normal range:

SetU ConstelLinesFadeStart 1e+8

But I raised the upper limit of these variables to 1e+10 for the next patch.
Thanks a lot for the explanations and hints.
This helps a lot and I can continue for the moment.

I would be happy if future releases could provide some regular methods of drawing lines (and grid planes, both with configurable colors) without using the constellations. Maybe separate methods, one for star coordinate systems (in parsecs) and the other for and planetary coordniate systems (in km).

Best regards!

MessisUniverse
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

08 Aug 2021 20:46

can someone please cubemap this texture? I can't do that

Klud
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

14 Aug 2021 16:48

Do you want to add the red boxed area to the Jupiter surface texture, or do a new Jupiter texture entirely?

MessisUniverse
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

19 Aug 2021 20:12

Do you want to add the red boxed area to the Jupiter surface texture, or do a new Jupiter texture entirely?
oh I meant this [url=file:///C:/Users/Messi%20Siregar/Downloads/Jupiter.png]Jupiter.png (16384×8192)[/url] and [url=file:///C:/Users/Messi%20Siregar/Downloads/Jupiter%208k.png]Jupiter 8k.png (8192×4096)[/url] I can't attach it

MessisUniverse
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

19 Aug 2021 20:15

I don't like Björn Jónsson's texture

emillyplungong
Observer
Observer

A Tall Ship and a Star to Steer Her By

30 Aug 2021 08:57

Hello! I've been using Space Engine for my science fiction world I'm writing for some time now, I find it to be very good for these kinds of things. I have a request to ask of anyone who'll listen. I'm sure that many people have asked this before, and I probably won't be the last. I would like to fly the U.N.S.C. vessels from the Halo franchise. I find them much more aesthetically pleasing than most other ships, especially the Stalwart-class frigate In Amber Clad.
work time
Love this mod :D
Just do it!

DiR3C7_H4CK
Observer
Observer

17 Oct 2021 14:37

¡Hello! I'm new here, & I want to show you a random object selector for SpaceEngine v0.990.42.1830.
It's built in Lua, from the program Cheat Engine.
Here is a sample of the tool:

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut

18 Oct 2021 21:16

Leyo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

19 Oct 2021 02:45

¡Hello! I'm new here, & I want to show you a random object selector for SpaceEngine v0.990.42.1830.
Hi dude,
Interesting stuff, we should get in contact.

DiR3C7_H4CK
Observer
Observer

19 Oct 2021 15:59

Hi dude,
Interesting stuff, we should get in contact.
Ok, as you want ^o^)/

Leyo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

20 Oct 2021 01:59

Well if one day you're interested in making your tool to generate randome names of planets or asteroids, try to cactch me, i've been working on generating random names and already released some mods with it.