Ultimate space simulation software

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Help with creating Mods and Addons

03 Jul 2020 23:03

Jadyndar, by the way, I would like to know which language (or languages) the names for your planets come from?

When I enter the names in Google Translate, I get a different source language for each term. Of course, Google Translate does not provide a translation for the terms.

I myself use a method in which I look for terms from mostly Celtic languages, such as Welsh or Irish, and then change them slightly.
For example, the translation of "The First World" is: "An chéad domhan" and then I make it "An'Cheadhain".
Or "The Fat Planet" = "An pláinéad saille" = "An'Sai".
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Jadyndar
Observer
Observer

04 Jul 2020 01:01

Jadyndar, by the way, I would like to know which language (or languages) the names for your planets come from?

When I enter the names in Google Translate, I get a different source language for each term. Of course, Google Translate does not provide a translation for the terms.
That's probably because all the names in the system come from the most widely-spoken language on Askath, which is fictional. I've published a description of it here if you're curious enough to want to know more, but to save time, here's what the planet names mean:

Vïnträŋk = vïntaikeilem räŋ = herald of the day
Askath (properly spelled Äskäţ) = ä́sk(ai)-(z)äţ = land-world
Kirb = bright
Ḑafkei = chaser
Oţţau = burning
Voget = creeping
Paŋgjø = one who hides
Ķäķi = farthest

The local cluster's name, Pekolomh, simply means "neighborhood". Eventually I'll name all the giant planets' regular moons so they aren't simply e.g. "Voget IV", but that's all I have planned as far as naming is concerned. Right now, I'm focused on completing Askath's custom textures...

SpaceEngine
Observer
Observer

17 Aug 2020 14:16

Как создать свои города с самого начала можно в личку ?

JediTrekkie
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

24 Sep 2020 03:15

In 0.990, when trying to create ocean worlds, how do I get it to register as a "Superoceanic" rather than just "Oceanic"?
(and what's the difference?) 

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Sep 2020 08:28

In 0.990, when trying to create ocean worlds, how do I get it to register as a "Superoceanic" rather than just "Oceanic"?
The size. Or the mass. If you give the planet more than twice the mass of the earth, it should be 'Super', if you give more than 10 times the mass of the earth (I think) it will be 'Mega'.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

JediTrekkie
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

26 Sep 2020 02:52

The size. Or the mass. If you give the planet more than twice the mass of the earth, it should be 'Super', if you give more than 10 times the mass of the earth (I think) it will be 'Mega'.
I'm trying to change the subclass (or whatever it's called). Right now its a "Temperate Oceanic Superaquaria" but I'm trying to get it to be a "Temperate Superoceanic Superaquaria".

Heaven's Disciples
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Space Station Is Visible Only As a Spacecraft

20 Oct 2020 11:11

Does anyone know why a) A space station is invisible as a satellite but visible as a spaceship, and b) Why the spacecraft mesh would have some textures show up as invisible?
space-station_smaller.png
spacecraft_smaller.png

Heaven's Disciples
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

20 Oct 2020 20:06

A) Space stations only work in the Flight Simulator, not the Planetarium.

B) I'm still working on the issue of the missing hull textures.
solaris-2.PNG

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Oct 2020 02:22

Heaven's Disciples, add the line
 Type    "StaticReal"
after the name in your .sss file. Your object will be visible also in planetarium mode.

As for the texture, does your console or se.log says something about missing textures?
Your 3d model could have flipped normals.
Try and use
TwoSided        true
in texture definitions.

PS: I'm going to merge this topic on an existing thread for troubleshooting addons
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Heaven's Disciples
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 Oct 2020 14:52

Type    "StaticReal"
after the name in your .sss file. Your object will be visible also in planetarium mode.

As for the texture, does your console or se.log says something about missing textures?
Try and use
TwoSided        true
in texture definitions.

PS: I'm going to merge this topic on an existing thread for troubleshooting addons
I've added both lines to the files and it's working. It looks very amazing. 
Thanks Mosfet! You've saved me hours of trying to figure this out.
solaris-space-station.PNG

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

22 Nov 2020 14:12

Type    "StaticReal"

Try and use
TwoSided        true
in texture definitions.

I've added both lines to the files and it's working. It looks very amazing. 
Thanks Mosfet! You've saved me hours of trying to figure this out.
solaris-space-station.PNG
Beautiful looking station you have there. :)

Question for the Blender experts: Trying to import a "simple" object into SE, it is originally a 3DS(?) file, with .obj extension. Also has a material file with .mtl extension. It is composed of two basic meshes, each with its own material and texture. Now whether I load the .obj file directly into SE or import into Blender first then export as .obj then load that into SE, I get the same results: The same texture is applied to both meshes, and the .sml file SE creates only has this one material defined.

When in Blender, I can see the other material, and it is on the other mesh, and it has the right name, but no matter what I try, I cannot get SE to see the right material for this mesh. I even tries deleting the other mesh and material and exporting that alone, but SE still sees the other material for this object.

I'm no newb to 3D programs, but I've always found Blender to be one of the most unintuitive programs to use. Anybody know how to work those materials and textures in Blender? (Heck, near as I can tell, even things like ctrl_C and ctrl-V don't work in Blender...)

-Alex

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

26 Nov 2020 22:09

Regarding my mesh import issues from the post above: Alright, so the problem might not be with Blender. I broke out the hex editor and looked into the SE-generated .sm file. Near as I can tell, this file never uses actual material names, just an index number, so it doesn't seem to matter what you call it in the .sml material definition file.

Anyway... I found the headers for the two meshes in the object, and each does indeed seem to point to its own material: the first one is "00" and the second one is "01". Changing one of them "02" does indeed cause an SE error in the console, "Undefined material" or some such thing. Leaving them as "00" and "01" still applies the same material to both meshes. Swapping them does nothing. Adding a second material to the .sml file does nothing. I don't know what else to try.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Nov 2020 04:02

Could you share the .sml and .mtl files? Is this in 0980 or 0990?
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

27 Nov 2020 10:55

Could you share the .sml and .mtl files? Is this in 0980 or 0990?
I'm pretty sure there are no simple errors in the .sml file. I have been doing it in 980, I suppose I could try to import in 990 and see what happens.

I can share the link to the original .obj model: it can be found here.

Thanks for showing some interest. :)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

27 Nov 2020 13:38

The reason I wanted to see the files was because the sml file usually needs to be manually adjusted, anyway I used directly obj and mtl files from the source to import the object in 0980. The cfg file is the original one that SE created from obj/mtl so it had the two materials correctly imported. Adjustments I did are commented into the sml file.
Yandex Disk test.zip
scr00043.jpg