Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Re: Work progress 0.991

25 May 2022 14:07

Any changes made to the data folder are wiped out by Steam then you run "verify game files". So you must use addons folder for experiments.
But I putted the addon locale .cfg files into addons folder folder and it won't work.
You don't put it in /addons/, you put it in /addons/[addonname]/locale.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 May 2022 17:03

But I putted the addon locale .cfg files into addons folder folder and it won't work.
The introduction page of the manual explains how SE addons folder and data folder are used for addons. https://spaceengine.org/manual/making-a ... roduction/
In your case, your files must be placed at least into a addons/locale subfolder. What's into addons, by design, it's never touched by SpaceEngine updates, or by Steam verification of local files.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

25 May 2022 19:09

The introduction page of the manual explains how SE addons folder and data folder are used for addons. https://spaceengine.org/manual/making-a ... roduction/
In your case, your files must be placed at least into a addons/locale subfolder. What's into addons, by design, it's never touched by SpaceEngine updates, or by Steam verification of local files.
Oh, I put it in the SE\addons\locale folder and it works! Thanks! (There is no introduction about locale in SE official website.)

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

25 May 2022 19:33

Oh, I put it in the SE\addons\locale folder and it works! Thanks! (There is no introduction about locale in SE official website.)
The SE official website makes it perfectly clear you don't drop files straight into the root addons folder; you have to mirror the /data/ file structure in /addons/.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2022 00:52

The SE official website makes it perfectly clear you don't drop files straight into the root addons folder; you have to mirror the /data/ file structure in /addons/.
I have a backup of official chs_gui.cfg and chs_db.cfg. I have already moved my language pack to addons\locale and replace the cfg in data with the official ones (all strings and the file sizes are the same with official). I hope SE won't kick me from the server.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2022 01:03

Now I have a new problem with my language pack: in the choose language button in settings, there are two "Simplefied Chinese", and my language pack will override SE official locale (choosing two options can get the same locale string in SE). Is there a parameter to set this?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

26 May 2022 03:59

Now I have a new problem with my language pack: in the choose language button in settings, there are two "Simplefied Chinese", and my language pack will override SE official locale (choosing two options can get the same locale string in SE). Is there a parameter to set this?
By design, as you have seen in the introduction of the manual, SpaceEngine checks for both /data and /addons folders and it loads files from there. If two files have the same name, it will load the one with the most recent modification date, this allows making corrections to wrong or obsolete data distributed with the program.

In your case, if you want to maintain the possibility to choose between the default simplified chinese localization and the new localization, you can:
  1. Rename and distribute your localization file as chs1-gui.cfg (and chs1-db.cfg in case you have also a localized wiki database)
  2. Change first lines of your localization file as such, as an example:
    InternationalName   "Simplified Chinese (1)"
    LocalName           "简体中文 (1)"
With this, SpaceEngine will differentiate between localizations, allowing to choose the desired one, and it will remember the user's choice until the next SpaceEngine update, when it could go back to the default one, depending if the main-user.cfg file needs to be updated.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2022 04:39

By design, as you have seen in the introduction of the manual, SpaceEngine checks for both /data and /addons folders and it loads files from there. If two files have the same name, it will load the one with the most recent modification date, this allows making corrections to wrong or obsolete data distributed with the program.

In your case, if you want to maintain the possibility to choose between the default simplified chinese localization and the new localization, you can:
  1. Rename and distribute your localization file as chs1-gui.cfg (and chs1-db.cfg in case you have also a localized wiki database)
  2. Change first lines of your localization file as such, as an example:
    InternationalName   "Simplified Chinese (1)"
    LocalName           "简体中文 (1)"
With this, SpaceEngine will differentiate between localizations, allowing to choose the desired one, and it will remember the user's choice until the next SpaceEngine update, when it could go back to the default one, depending if the main-user.cfg file needs to be updated.
I tried your method, there is a "简体中文 (1) (Simplified Chinese (1))" string in settings, but I still need to "copy from official locale database". I want a parameter that can "inherit" official locale, or I must copy some part of official one then modify it (if this is not software piracy, tell me).

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: Help with creating Mods and Addons

26 May 2022 06:05

There is no way to inherit the default locale then changing terms with SE current capabilities, you'll have to copy the default one then changing it. Of course this can't be considered piracy :)

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2022 08:44

There is no way to inherit the default locale then changing terms with SE current capabilities, you'll have to copy the default one then changing it. Of course this can't be considered piracy :)
Thanks! I will publish the first public BETA of my language pack to the Steam Workshop tomorrow. I will also add your name to the credits page in my post and my github page.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2022 08:56

Also, some part of the official CHS locale is incorrect, eg.: "Procedural" should be "程序生成的", not "过程生成的". The steam store page of SE writes "它使用过程生成技术" too, which should be "它使用程序生成技术". Both of "Procedure" and "Program"'s Chinese are "程序", in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, these two word in Traditional Chinese is "程式". "序"'s Traditional Chinese isn't "式", just because of regional difference.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 May 2022 18:53

I have a backup of official chs_gui.cfg and chs_db.cfg. I have already moved my language pack to addons\locale and replace the cfg in data with the official ones (all strings and the file sizes are the same with official). I hope SE won't kick me from the server.
You put it in addons/chinesetranslation/locale, not right into the addons folder.

CN_SE_USER
Astronaut
Astronaut

26 May 2022 20:28

You put it in addons/chinesetranslation/locale, not right into the addons folder.
In Steam Workshop, I will post it as addons\YZRchinesetranslation\locale, but for testing, I put it in addons\locale. What I need for testing is it works well.

Space Boi
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2022 09:18

I am trying to make a rhea with rings, but the ring's texture doesn't appear it just makes a procedual one, can anyone help?

Here's the sc file and the texture:
Attachments
Rhea.sc
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Rhea-rings.png
Rhea-rings.png (207 Bytes) Viewed 2320 times

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 Sep 2022 02:45

Ages ago I've made the last addon for SpaceEngine, and is there a better way to start than making a set of 6 different system? Well... yeah, I realized I don't remember a thing.

I've followed the tutorial, but there is one big problem: A binary system, which has two close stars (a white dwarf and a K main sequence star), simply won't work. The two stars doesn't get parented to the StarBarycenter but they're considered two separate systems, and the planets just get assigned to random procedural stars and not the StarBarycenter as well.

I've started out exporting a similar procedural system so there shouldn't be any formal error in it... I've checked the name of the parent object many times and it's correct for both stars and the planet. Unfortunately I can't put the code right now but eventually I'll edit the post and add it in the attachments.

What do you think could be the problem?

(PS: Also I know the location of these system in a galaxy map but I'm not a big expert of declination and right ascension, I've found a map on wikipedia, I hope this will be helpful!)

(PS2: WAIT! I've put both Star and StarBarycenter scripts in the stars folder but maybe I have to put the stars in the planets folder since they're parented to something? Or maybe I need to create a Barycenter without "Star"?)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs