Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Help with creating Mods and Addons

27 Nov 2020 18:26

I imported it into 990, and it worked fine the first time!  I know about having to tweak the .sml file, and I still had to do that with 990 (two sided, alpha transparency, etc.), but it showed both materials! :D

There's a very good chance that I may have messed up my attempts to import into 980 the first time, and then never cleaned up all extraneous files — I think it's time for some house-keeping in the addons folder... :o

SIncere thanks for looking into it, I really do appreciate you taking the time. I shall page you when I have some screenshots ready. :)

-Alex

earth
Astronaut
Astronaut

27 Nov 2020 19:10

idk how to make the sys texture of galaxies i read the tutorial but the sys texure is very hard to make

earth
Astronaut
Astronaut

27 Nov 2020 19:13

i wonder can you make a textureless spiral galaxy generation method where you can just edit the script and change the galaxy you can do this with nebulae and irregular galaxies

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

27 Nov 2020 21:19

One last note, in case somebody is following this: Since it worked correctly in 990, I figured I could just copy the pertinent files back over to 980. Not so, it turns out — seems there is a mesh invalid type error trying to read the 990 .sm file.

So started from scratch, rewrote a new .sss file from scratch, and tried again. And wouldn't you know it? Worked perfectly.

Had to edit the .sml file, but that was expected.  Mosfet, I came up with exact same edits to the .sml file, but I also added:
    SpecMap         "MVB/sundry/DB2X2_L02.png"
    TwoSided        true
... leaves have a top and a bottom. (And it got the complete texture filenames perfect. That was not happening before.)

Thanks again for looking into it.

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

28 Nov 2020 19:11

Im not really good at this sort of thing but was wandering if anyone liked the way that the stars themselves in our local part of the galaxy, the colors and sizes, if anyone thinks they looked better in the last version. Is there anyway that I can change the stars back to appear the way they did in the last version, and if so would anyone mind helping me with that or doing the foot work to see how it looks or helping me. Thanks everyone

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

01 Dec 2020 11:56

Im not really good at this sort of thing but was wandering if anyone liked the way that the stars themselves in our local part of the galaxy, the colors and sizes, if anyone thinks they looked better in the last version. Is there anyway that I can change the stars back to appear the way they did in the last version, and if so would anyone mind helping me with that or doing the foot work to see how it looks or helping me. Thanks everyone
Can we get comparison screenshots? I believe 0.990 has settings to tweak the sharpness, contrast, and perhaps warmth of the image. 
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Spinecone
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

18 Feb 2021 05:24

A real quick question, is there a way to change the color of the grass on the Earth-like planets with life? I had a custom world with black grass around a red dwarf before the last update, but it turned green recently without me adding any changes to it.

Tasty Brown
Observer
Observer

01 Apr 2021 16:49

Has anyone figured out how to edit black hole/white dwarf/neutron star accretion disks in space engine 0.980?

Tasty Brown
Observer
Observer

22 Apr 2021 13:44

How do you change water level on a planet, I figured it out but my spacecraft seemed to still be affected by the planet's past water height. The spacecraft would just hover and stay in place exactly at the point where the water level once was. 

carolynperry
Observer
Observer

07 May 2021 05:35

I want to change one parameter in the sc. file of one of my creations. The parameter is tropics latitude and width (I want to change these to influence the global distribution of life). The planet does react to changing these, but after shutting down SE and starting again, the changes don't take effect, but the parameters are changed in the sc. file..

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 May 2021 22:03

Ive noticed the new climate parameters in the planet editor in 0.990, the Steppe/Forest/Grass Min/Max thing. What exactly do those do?

Also, in 0.990, is the command for regenerating custom atmosphere models still ReloadObject?
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

Q_5EB
Observer
Observer

23 Jun 2021 18:43

How to change desert to grass material to a planet
cus i want to terraform it

MessisUniverse
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Aug 2021 00:15

can you use textures for stars?
i want to use some fictional textures based on real data for Luhman 16 A, Luhman 16 B, And Antares. (I did that in Celestia)

harmonicGF3
Observer
Observer

14 Sep 2021 23:09

Hi everyone, reposting from reddit

Full text -
I only want to see our local group. How to do this?
(Why? inspired by this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzkD5SeuwzM This is the view our far future ancestors will see as everything other than local group will expand away from us).
in /data/catalogs/galaxies, the files available are -
BlackholeHosts.sc
Kexitt.sc
LocalGroup.sc
NGC-IC.csv
I deleted all files except Local Group, and I got what I want!
However, I now want to package it as an addon (if you download this addon everything except local group will vanish haha).
So I first made /data/ folder to how it was before. Then in /addons/catalogs/galaxies, I copy pasted the above four files.
Then I opened the files other than local group, and made them empty.
My thinking - since both /data/ and /addons/ have NGC-IC.csv file, SpaceEngine will give preference to the file in /addons/ and load that one (which is actually empty).
But SpaceEngine is still loading everything in /data/ even though I overwrote it? How to fix this?

As HarbingerDawn mentioned in the comments, looks like what I'm asking for isn't possible. I think in a previous version it could've been possible, as SpaceEngineer mentioned in the GAIA catalog thread, 
To disable default star catalog, you may try to make an empty file on the same virtual path as the HIPPARCOS.csv, for example:

addons/catalogs/stars/HIPPARCOS.csv
Does anyone know of any other workaround for this? Thanks!
Discord : supersonic71#4504

WildSirius
Observer
Observer

08 Dec 2021 19:13

i wonder can you make a textureless spiral galaxy generation method where you can just edit the script and change the galaxy you can do this with nebulae and irregular galaxies
You can't, a texture is necessary for a spiral galaxy, but if you don't want to make a texture, you could just use one of the textures already included in the game and modify it to your liking. 
If you want a specific texture you could try launching the game and search for catalogued galaxies, and once you find a model that you like, search its name in the file Kexxit.cfg under the directory \data\models\galaxies and copy the code of the galaxy model you want and paste it into a new cfg file under the addons folder. From there, change the name of the model so it doesn't interfere with the original model and edit the model to your liking and assign it to a specific galaxy or to the procedural generation if you want.