Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites

15 Oct 2021 18:23

https://twitter.com/i/events/1449121549286469635

Series of large asteroids to fly past Earth, starting tonight
Several large asteroids will pass closely by Earth in coming weeks, USA Today reports. The first, the 525-foot wide 2021 SM3, will whiz past Earth on October 15 according to NASA’s Center for Near-Earth Object Studies. Seven larger asteroids are predicted to pass close by Earth before the end of November, the biggest of which, 2004 UE, has a diameter of 1,246 feet, USA Today reports. At 2.1 million miles, asteroid 1996 VB3, will pass closest to Earth on October 20. Scientists say that, although very close by interstellar standards, none of the asteroids will be visible without a telescope. On October 16, NASA will launch a spacecraft, Lucy, on a 12-year mission to observe eight asteroids in Jupiter’s Trojan asteroid field, CNN and the New York Times report. Keep it here for asteroid action and reaction.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

22 Oct 2021 16:50

I haven't read the whole thing, but a lot of people certainly will.  It's a bold claim, since the probability that such an event happened above a city is pretty low.
Looks like the paper has attracted quite a bit of criticism. I have little to weigh in with, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's riddled with confirmation bias.  No amount of circumstantial evidence can outweigh definite evidence.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

26 Oct 2021 15:20

Mounted a new meteor camera at 1800 masl in Norway today.  This mountain has a spectacular view.  The question is, will the camera just ice up?  Some footage I took:

[youtube]cYjg2c5QrHU[/youtube]
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

techman1
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

28 Oct 2021 06:03

Russians from Kaliningrad noticed a meteorite. Andrey Sidorov filmed a video where a space body burns up in the atmosphere in the area of Gorky Street on Tuesday, October 26.A bright "star" dives and disappears over the horizon. According to the director of the Kaliningrad Bessel Planetarium, Konstantin Guskov, "several hundred such meteorites fall to the Earth in a day." Their diameter is different - they burn in dense layers of the atmosphere. The meteorite in the video is relatively small. This is not uncommon for the region and for the world as a whole, ”added Guskov.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

10 Nov 2021 00:12

Mounted a new meteor camera at 1800 masl in Norway today.  This mountain has a spectacular view.  The question is, will the camera just ice up?  Some footage I took:

[youtube]cYjg2c5QrHU[/youtube]
wow I saw it for a second and then it was gone!

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

Re: Asteroids, meteors, and meteorites

18 Mar 2022 06:02

For the fifth time ever a small asteroid was discovered before it hit Earth on 11 March 2022.  It was predicted to enter Earth's atmosphere about 90 km south of the Norwegian island Jan Mayen situated north of Iceland, but this prediction was made less than an hour before the fact.  Its size has been estimated to be around 1 meter in diameter to a few meters.

This is a remote area, but the very few Norwegians manning the station (meteorological and military personell) did observe it despite foggy conditions.  Due to the weather conditions, they could only see the flash of light when the night became as day for a few seconds.  It was also recorded on video.

Amongst the meteor cameras that we have in Norway, there are cameras that I recently added near the summit of mountain in southern Norway.  From this location the event could have been visible due to the lack of nearby mountains, though nearly 1500 km away it would be a stretch.  The weather conditions were perfect, but unfortunately, the summit itself was blocking the view in the exact direction of Jan Mayen (image below taken around the time of the impact showing the conditions and view).  In the other directions the horizon is mainly defined by the curvature of Earth and a large meteor 1000 km away would be easily visible.  At nearly 1500 km distance and this altitude, an object needs to be at least 135 km above ground to be visible, not correcting for refraction.  At that altitude meteors are faint or invisible unless very fast, but with refraction I wouldn't rule out that something could have been visible.  But, we'll never know for sure.  This was a near miss of getting some unique pictures.  It would have been amazing to have detected a meteor at such distance.  It would have been a record hard to beat.
x.jpg
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

06 Jun 2022 14:22

meteor-20220606.jpg
meteor-20220606.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Nice fireball over southern Norway last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdcGqWH5MI
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

13 Oct 2022 02:44

And a nice fireball over the Pacific Northwest a couple hours ago. I completely missed it, though my brother was out driving and saw the whole sky light up blue-green. Apparently was visible from all across Washington, parts of Oregon, and BC. I'm guessing this one is unlikely to have dropped any stones, doesn't look like it got very deep, but hard to be sure or know where they would have fallen precisely without analyzing a calibrated set of videos. I wish we had something like your dedicated network here! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeyBDOBTx8

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

13 Oct 2022 05:10

Maybe a bit short for a meteorite dropper.  AMS event page
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

PropsValroa
Observer
Observer

13 Oct 2022 11:06

I remember that sometime in 2020 I saw a massive fireball over towards the west and people on the other side of Lake Ontario reported seeing it as well. I do not remember when exactly it was, other than that it happened.
"I don't understand faith. I only understand power." - Brye Chandler

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

02 Nov 2022 16:26

I've posted a YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpCdBB6HDc

This footage from Gaustatoppen in Norway shows a rare meteor cluster.  23 meteors were recorded in a few seconds on 30 October 2022 03:54 UTC.  The event was recorded by four cameras pointing towards different parts of the sky.  These recordings have been synced, stitched and reprojected into a rectilinear (gnomonic projection) showing a 120x90 degree field.

Best viewed in 4K.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

03 Nov 2022 03:02

That is incredible. 

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

20 Nov 2022 06:19

Northern Taurid bolide lit up the sky in all of southern Norway last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtrKpuEkyEk
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

23 Nov 2022 04:45

I never get to see those.

The cluster is really amazing though...
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

03 Dec 2022 18:53

I've posted a YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpCdBB6HDc

This footage from Gaustatoppen in Norway shows a rare meteor cluster.  23 meteors were recorded in a few seconds on 30 October 2022 03:54 UTC.  The event was recorded by four cameras pointing towards different parts of the sky.  These recordings have been synced, stitched and reprojected into a rectilinear (gnomonic projection) showing a 120x90 degree field.

Best viewed in 4K.
I think I may have seen one in 2019.  I still remember it.  Late December 2019 after Christmas (I think the day after)...I saw a small cluster of very bright meteors streak over Orion's belt.  There was another small cluster about a minute later.  Never saw anything like that before.  It was 9 PM and I had just arrived at my other home in the Poconos, I was taking stuff out of my car and happened to look up to see the stars which we don't get to see like that near NYC and I was looking at just the right time.
Didn't hear reports of other people seeing anything though-- I just hope it wasn't space junk I saw!