Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.990

04 Jun 2023 06:31

A-L-E-X please upload your se.log, you'll find it in your SpaceEngine system folder.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

05 Jun 2023 19:09

Is there an se.log even if the program never starts because Steam blocks it saying I need to have Steam running (which I have running like it shows in the screenshot)?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

05 Jun 2023 19:15

As I surmised, there is no current se.log file, the one in that folder is from the last time SE ran correctly for me, which was on 4-29-2023

Here is the header and version number-- ever since the update things have gone haywire and it says Steam isn't running (even though it is.)
SpaceEngine version 0.990.45.1940 beta

STARTING
[MT] Start time: 2023.04.24 18:32:50.20
[MT] OS: Windows 10.0.19044
[MT] Platform: Win64
[MT] Executable path:   "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SpaceEngine/system/SpaceEngine.exe"
[MT] Working directory: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SpaceEngine/"
[MT] Executing command: "-mode=2D"
[MT] Initializing Steam interface
[MT] Loading script "config/addons.cfg"
[MT] Found 50 published Workshop addons out of 144
[MT] Found 100 published Workshop addons out of 144
[MT] Found 144 published Workshop addons out of 144
[MT] Scanning data directories
[MT] Data directory "data"
[MT] Data directory "addons"
[MT] Data directory "addons/SolarSystemHD"

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Jun 2023 04:22

As I surmised, there is no current se.log file, the one in that folder is from the last time SE ran correctly for me, which was on 4-29-2023

Here is the header and version number-- ever since the update things have gone haywire and it says Steam isn't running (even though it is.)
Is this the entirety of your log file? Not much to work with, I'm afraid.

Find the cache subfolder inside your SpaceEngine folder, and delete it.

Use the Steam client to check for files consistency in your Spaceengine installation: From Steam Library, right-click on SpaceEngine > Properties > Local files > verify integrity of game files.

Try and run again the program, then upload here your se.log file.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Jun 2023 18:29

Is this the entirety of your log file? Not much to work with, I'm afraid.

Find the cache subfolder inside your SpaceEngine folder, and delete it.

Use the Steam client to check for files consistency in your Spaceengine installation: From Steam Library, right-click on SpaceEngine > Properties > Local files > verify integrity of game files.

Try and run again the program, then upload here your se.log file.
I just posted the first page because the log file hasn't changed since April since the game hasn't been able to launch since then.  I'm going to delete that cache folder now, Mosfet, thanks for that suggestion.  Hopefully that will help.  I sent Steam Support an email because this seems to be a Steam issue not a Space Engine issue.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

14 Jun 2023 19:27

Deleting the cache folder didn't work.  I also did what the Steam support staff suggested and uninstall and reinstall Steam (first I moved the SteamApps folder to different folder so my mods wouldn't be deleted. I copied back that folder for the new install but Steam doesn't recognize it and told me I have to redownload and reinstall Space Engine, so I moved that SteamApps folder back out of my Steam folder and redownloaded and reinstalled Space Engine).  But doing all that I still get the same error message.  I don't think the reinstall worked anyway, Steam wanted to reserve 40 GB of additional drive space which I don't have (because of copying my SteamApps folder to a new location on that drive.)  I did another file integrity check, that was fine, the game just simply wont launch.
steamvanilla.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

15 Jun 2023 21:29

Success!  I finally got it to work!  It definitely is a Space Engine issue, and not a Steam issue!  I rolled back to the last beta, which is 1890 and it worked like a charm and launched immediately!  Now I just need to put all my files back lol.  Is there any way I could roll back to the 1940 version, I don't see that available in the beta branch....1890 was the latest one it would let me roll back to.  Uninstall / reinstall, none of that stuff worked, I had to roll back to a previous version for Space Engine to work again!  Is there any way for me to roll back to 1940, since that was the last one that worked for me?

1965 is a no go, it does not work for me at all.....how can I go back to the 1940 version?  1890 works fine now but I want to go back to the latest version which works for me, which is 1940.

Secondary question is how do I opt out of automatic updates? I want to stay with the latest version that works for me which is 1940 how do I get that version and keep it (no automatic updates?)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

17 Jun 2023 09:29

0.990.45.1940 is not available to opt in as far as I know.
What we can't know is what really happened because the se.log doesn't contain useful info about your hardware, graphics drivers and other possible issues. What I see from what you posted is that you did have already issues back in April with 45.1940 and your program stopped right after enumerating the number of installed workshop addons (144), so it could as well be an addons issue, a graphics drivers issue, a disk drive issue because of poor amount of free disk space (and Steam has been known to cause issues if there was not enough free space) as you mentioned you don't have much space available.
As for telling Steam to not update programs, there's no straight way to do it for an indefinite amount of time, except for using Steam with the offline option, which is not a permanent solution if I remember correctly.
The SpaceEngine branch you are in now, it won't probably receive updates, so it won't update anymore.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Jun 2023 11:35

0.990.45.1940 is not available to opt in as far as I know.
What we can't know is what really happened because the se.log doesn't contain useful info about your hardware, graphics drivers and other possible issues. What I see from what you posted is that you did have already issues back in April with 45.1940 and your program stopped right after enumerating the number of installed workshop addons (144), so it could as well be an addons issue, a graphics drivers issue, a disk drive issue because of poor amount of free disk space (and Steam has been known to cause issues if there was not enough free space) as you mentioned you don't have much space available.
As for telling Steam to not update programs, there's no straight way to do it for an indefinite amount of time, except for using Steam with the offline option, which is not a permanent solution if I remember correctly.
The SpaceEngine branch you are in now, it won't probably receive updates, so it won't update anymore.
I fixed the space available issue by clearing a bunch of space, enough now that I have 64 GB virtual RAM for each drive.  I've been running version 43.1890 for a week straight now without any issues, although I did have to change out the config file with the one saved from last April because the game used to crash within 1 hour with the default settings.  I also had to update my ship addons with my customized settings since those were not saved.  I'm glad I kept all of that saved.

Am I stuck with the version I have now....I would update if I knew I wouldn't get the Steam client error but even after uninstalling and reinstalling I was still getting it, only going down to the old beta branch made it go away.  There's no way to get the specific version of SE that I want is there?  I wish there was a way to archive it.  Do you know when 43.1890 was released? I would at least like to get one of the 45.19xx builds so I can have Kerr Black Holes.

My new config file that keeps SE from crashing increases the amount of ram and vram used.

Mihajlo
Observer
Observer

30 Jun 2023 13:03

Blue giants are black and red for me (https://ibb.co/jytvzvD). Has anyone encountered this issue? My GPU is below minimum requirements, but other stars and planets look normal.
Attachments
se.log
(165.2 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Mihajlo
Observer
Observer

01 Jul 2023 02:00

Blue giants are black and red for me (https://ibb.co/jytvzvD). Has anyone encountered this issue? My GPU is below minimum requirements, but other stars and planets look normal.
Today, after starting Space Engine again the blue giants look normal. 

Mihajlo
Observer
Observer

01 Jul 2023 08:39

Not sure if this is by design or a bug, but the terrain is lit when the sun is below horizon and there is some weird red artifact near the horizon (https://ibb.co/Ltf872f). Image

Mihajlo
Observer
Observer

01 Jul 2023 11:54

In Photo mode: Auto (https://ibb.co/58zRVS7) the sun is visible below the horizon when you look down and there are artifacts (parallel lines) that move (planet HIP 30213 4 orbiting a star  HIP 30213). The second image shows the terrain lit before sunrise (https://ibb.co/tMyqMbz).
Attachments
se.log
(163.25 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

myoldfriendsaredjs
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 Jul 2023 23:16

For some reason my star browser just... stopped working, and I haven't found any solutions online as to how to fix it. It seems to not be working in areas with only procedural stars, as when I go near Sol, it works as intended (and shows all the procedural "RS" stars as well :think:). It didn't work like this previously and is something that has only sprung up earlier today.

I've tried restarting the game, deleting cache folder, running "starbrowserreset" command, etc. several times to no avail. It's quite frustrating.

And just to clarify, this is not the bug where it "stops" searching and won't let you click on anything until it's done, or at least I don't think so based on descriptions I've seen from other people experiencing that bug. The one I'm having just makes every search turn up as empty.

Attached is my se.log, hopefully that is useful, though I skimmed it and didn't see anything that seemed relevant. idk
Attachments
se.log
(174.02 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Katherine / 19 / Using SpaceEngine since 2017
My screen name is ProfessorOfK3ology now, but I can't change it here :(

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Jul 2023 05:29

In order to try and replicate the issue you're seeing, please save the location from where you are starting the search with the locations window (F6), then share the place by pasting the url here. You'll also need to specify exactly what are your searching filters.