Ultimate space simulation software

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Celestia Origin Textures in Space Engine

08 Jun 2021 20:53

So there is a massive addon pack for Celestia called Celestia Origin (link here: https://vk.com/celestiaorigin) that replaces all vanilla textures with highly improved ones. I wonder if any of its Solar System textures, asteroid/comet and spacecraft models, and/or astronomical data could be modified to be added onto Space Engine.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

10 Jun 2021 11:03

SE textures (HD addon) is anyway better, has higher resolution, and supports 3D terrain.

Charlotte Bridge
Observer
Observer

11 Jun 2021 02:06

Agree! Space Engine is much more interesting and qualitative than Celestia origin :roll: Moreover the forum of Space Engine is far better and pleasant to use than Celestia forum I found. 
“Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns.”
― Carl Sagan

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Jun 2021 06:13

SE textures (HD addon) is anyway better, has higher resolution, and supports 3D terrain.
Space Engine and Space Engine Pro are the best out there from what I've seen.  And I even have Starry Night Pro Plus (to control my telescopes with) and they cost 3x more than Space Engine Pro, but they don't have all the landscape features that SE has.  The only thing I would import from SNPP over to SE is the H-R diagram which I find highly useful in quickly looking through a FOV to find stars I might find interesting rather than having to click on them randomly.  I can click on a particular speck in the H-R diagram and SNPP will highlight it for me in the main display.  I'd love to see that feature in SE.  The other thing would be directional points on planets and moons so navigating can be made easier while doing a fly over of said body.  One other thing with flyovers of planets and moons can we please have an autopilot mode that keeps the altitude at a set distance above the ground please?  Because if I am not constantly adjusting the controls, I will either crash or fly off into space lol.
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 13 Jun 2021 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

11 Jun 2021 08:36

I mean not Celestia Origin itself, I mean if any of the textures can be modified for use in Space Engine. Remember when before the Steam edition, Venus', Uranus and its moons', and Neptune's textures were all based on Bjorn Jonsson's, James Hastings-Trew's, Ivan Rivera's, and David Seal's textures, respectively?

tRetro-Visor
Explorer
Explorer

11 Jun 2021 15:15

I mean not Celestia Origin itself, I mean if any of the textures can be modified for use in Space Engine. Remember when before the Steam edition, Venus', Uranus and its moons', and Neptune's textures were all based on Bjorn Jonsson's, James Hastings-Trew's, Ivan Rivera's, and David Seal's textures, respectively?
Most of the things I've seen in there are already in use by Space Engine
For example, Neptune's textures show in Celestia Origin are the same that's being used in Space Engine. SnowfallTheCat made it
and also I've seen no source link to the source material in that addon, which is to me a bad thing to do
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

apoastron
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

31 Oct 2022 02:45

as a user of both celestia and SE, i can confidently say that this is pointless. not only are the hd addon packs a better option, as vlad said, but it would be a significant undertaking to make celestia origins resources compatible with SE. celestia uses the equirectangular projection for its textures, but SE uses cubemaps. easy enough to just get a converter and convert them, right? uh, not when you have dozens and dozens of textures it isnt! and celestia uses a proprietary model format called cmod (but i think CO might have converted all their models to obj and 3ds? im not sure) and it isnt compatible with SE, obviously. converting cmod files to mainstream formats like obj, dae, and 3ds is a real pain in the rear, so dont even think about doing it with the hundreds of models that CO uses. and then theres the pain of trying to convert celestias ssc, stc, and dsc catalogue files to SEs sc and pak files. seriously, this just isnt a good idea and it wouldnt be worth it in the end. CO is made for celestia and celestia only, it wont work with SE

also, if this counts as necroposting then i apologise
Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not.

apoastron
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Re: Celestia Origin Textures in Space Engine

21 Nov 2022 01:54

and also I've seen no source link to the source material in that addon, which is to me a bad thing to do
iirc the credits are all in the readme that you can access once you download it. i cant say for sure because i dont actually use CO, since my comput- i mean laptop has only 20gb left of storage and CO is over 10gb
Tell me, Dr. Freeman, if you can. You have destroyed so much. What is it, exactly, that you have created? Can you name even one thing? I thought not.

TRAPPIST-1e
Observer
Observer

13 Jan 2023 18:56

I think Celestia's 3D texture is terrible.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230114_085815_space.celestia.mobilecelestia.jpg

apoastron
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

16 Jan 2023 14:59

celestia doesnt even use 3D terrain (with the exception of models), so im not sure why youre even bringing that up...

jjliang
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

16 Jan 2023 19:12

I'm talking about only the textures, not the software.

JupiterboyLuffy
Observer
Observer

17 Apr 2023 14:48

Well, you can make your own textures for Space Engine and edit the .cfg folder of the object you want to add the textures to.

brpa01789
Observer
Observer

19 Apr 2023 11:29

yes i want know how to make textures of video

MikasaAckerman
Observer
Observer

13 Jun 2023 01:55

So there is a massive addon pack for Celestia called Celestia Origin (link here: https://vk.com/celestiaorigin) that replaces all vanilla textures with highly improved ones. I wonder if any of its Solar System textures, asteroid/comet and spacecraft models, and/or astronomical data could be modified to be added onto Space Engine.
The Celestia Origin addon pack's graphics, models, and astronomical data can be altered for use in SpaceEngine, however this will necessitate some manual alterations and conversions.