Ultimate space simulation software

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

The Milky Way Overhaul

21 Dec 2021 04:19

The Milky Way Overhaul What does this do?
This addon replaces the default Milky Way with new high-quality 8192x8192 textures. It's composed of multiple images of spiral galaxies and some additional editing. The goal is to represent the uniqueness of our galaxy with some creative liberties while having realism in mind

The galaxy texture is composed of real-life imagery of galaxies like NGC 6744, UGC 12158, and Nick Risinger's concept art.
► Show Spoiler
Does this alter procedural generation?
This addon doesn't change the texture responsible for the procedural generation of stars and nebulae in the Milky Way, so all of your saved locations within the galaxy should still exist.

Installation:
Download the file from NexusMods and place it in your addons folder, remember to delete the cache folder, otherwise, it won't work correctly!

For the Steam version of Space Engine, you can find the addon on the Steam Workshop

Big thanks to Andy-roo77's Reddit post, which served as an inspiration for this addon:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/comments/lamv7a/an_alternate_design_for_the_milkyway_in_space/
Last edited by WildSirius on 10 Sep 2022 03:17, edited 6 times in total.

Khorrah
Explorer
Explorer

The Milky Way Overhaul

29 Dec 2021 22:07

This is beautiful, I really enjoy this milky way, is there any posibility to make this but with andromeda?
Hello, I LOVE lasagna and Space Engine. ♥

My Specs: Intel Core I5 12600K, Corsair Vengeance Pro SL 32GB, MSI Z690-A WIFI DDR4, GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER 8G.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Milky Way Overhaul

30 Dec 2021 19:44

I think I have an earlier version of this from over the summer do I need to find the add on again or will it automatically update?

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

The Milky Way Overhaul

01 Jan 2022 18:35

This is beautiful, I really enjoy this milky way, is there any posibility to make this but with andromeda?
Sure! Although I think the current model for Andromeda is already good enough. So I'm a little scared of ruining it xd
I think I have an earlier version of this from over the summer do I need to find the add on again or will it automatically update?
If you have the one from the Steam Workshop, I recommend you unsubscribe and then subscribe again so the changes from the new version apply. After that, you just delete the cache folder and you should be fine.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

The Milky Way Overhaul

06 Jan 2022 22:43

This is very well done, adding the curve the galaxy should be possible btw which is something I think I mentioned on Discord before.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Milky Way Overhaul

10 Jan 2022 21:50

Sure! Although I think the current model for Andromeda is already good enough. So I'm a little scared of ruining it xd
If you have the one from the Steam Workshop, I recommend you unsubscribe and then subscribe again so the changes from the new version apply. After that, you just delete the cache folder and you should be fine.
Thanks, looks like it works now!
I figured it would update automatically but I guess not.

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

The Milky Way Overhaul

13 Jan 2022 19:02

This is very well done, adding the curve the galaxy should be possible btw which is something I think I mentioned on Discord before.
I believe I can do the curvature of the Milky Way with the Cubemap method right? I think it could be interesting, the problem is that every time I approach a galaxy with this type of model (like ESO 510-G13), it crashes the game. I also don't think they look good enough, but that might be because I don't really know how to work with these types of models.
I thought the same. Sometimes it does update automatically, but sometimes it doesn't.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

The Milky Way Overhaul

14 Jan 2022 02:26

I believe I can do the curvature of the Milky Way with the Cubemap method right? I think it could be interesting, the problem is that every time I approach a galaxy with this type of model (like ESO 510-G13), it crashes the game. I also don't think they look good enough, but that might be because I don't really know how to work with these types of models.

I thought the same. Sometimes it does update automatically, but sometimes it doesn't.
I did the unsubscribe/resubscribe thing but didn't clear the cache.  I installed a new display driver, I figure that would clear the cache automatically since it was a clean install.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

The Milky Way Overhaul

14 Jan 2022 07:54

Check the Centaurus fix on the workshop for a working method in recent builds. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

onyxlee
Observer
Observer

Re: The Milky Way Overhaul

27 Apr 2022 15:18

Hi, dear WildSirius, thank you so much for making such a beautiful addon "milky way overhaul".
I am working on a video project. My astronomer colleague believes that the milky way addon (which I thought is perfect) is not showing the bar shape. I have no idea how to fix it.

This is your reference image from wikipedia:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... Galaxy.jpg

This is the milky way from wikipedia's barred spiral galaxy page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_spiral_galaxy 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_sp ... 150603.jpg

I am a 3D artist, I can do 3D modeling and particles, volumetric grids. But I don't know how to bring them into SE. Is it possible for you to take a look, or give me some hints how to fix it?

Thank you a million!!!

onyxlee
Observer
Observer

27 Apr 2022 15:31

[Update] I just unzipped the png from the pak file. I am quite familiar with Photoshop. But the PNG looks very different from typical milky way images. How should I edit it to make the core into a bar shape?

I also found the script file with the file type cfg. But I don't see any aspect ratio of the center glowing thing there.

Any help will be much appreciated.

WildSirius
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

24 May 2022 19:35

[Update] I just unzipped the png from the pak file. I am quite familiar with Photoshop. But the PNG looks very different from typical milky way images. How should I edit it to make the core into a bar shape?

I also found the script file with the file type cfg. But I don't see any aspect ratio of the center glowing thing there.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply. The way galaxies work in Space Engine is through textures, not 3D models, so you'll have to edit the images via a software image editor like Photoshop, however, the images you extracted from the pak file have an alpha channel applied to them that only the program can interpret correctly, so it would be complicated to edit something from there. I can provide you with the original texture I used if you want to.