Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Intergalactic trip in preparation

24 Jul 2021 09:33

Thanks this might explain why SE 0990 was ignoring the modified Skylone file I installed.  It was extracted into a "default" folder like you mentioned, that sits alongside the ships pak file.  The problem is the date on the .sss file is from 2016.  Do you suggest I re-save it so that last modified date changes to 2021?  Maybe that would make SE 0990 use that file instead of ignoring it?
You should try creating an addon folder for it (look in manual) rather than interfering with SE's core files.
One problem I'm running into is on a tidally locked planet (1:1) if I land on the dark side of the planet how do I get to the bright side?
Take off and fly to the bright side.
I did try to find the bright side but for some reason it wont let me even have the planet in view (it won't let me move the view using the cursor keys or the keypad or change the target to a different part of the planet, I must have some setting wrong, because all of that works fine when I'm actually on the surface of a planet or in interstellar space, just not when I'm in over a planet for some reason lol.)  The weird thing is I see the two indicators for moving up-down and left-right (markers with degree notifiers), and they either dont move or they move but the view stays the same.

Right now on the surface of the planet, it all works fine though.  And I love the different lighting depending on the location of the parent star.  Why was that guy hating on ships, I find this to be very realistic....

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

24 Jul 2021 10:05

I did try to find the bright side but for some reason it wont let me even have the planet in view (it won't let me move the view using the cursor keys or the keypad or change the target to a different part of the planet, I must have some setting wrong, because all of that works fine when I'm actually on the surface of a planet or in interstellar space, just not when I'm in over a planet for some reason lol.)  The weird thing is I see the two indicators for moving up-down and left-right (markers with degree notifiers), and they either dont move or they move but the view stays the same.
Just take off and it should fix itself
Right now on the surface of the planet, it all works fine though.  And I love the different lighting depending on the location of the parent star.  Why was that guy hating on ships, I find this to be very realistic....
Because they're under the misconception that spaceflight is as simple as going in a straight line.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

24 Jul 2021 10:10

Got it to work!  Thanks for all your help (and for the help the other Alex provided of course.)  I don't know what that other guy was complaining about, I love these ships and especially the cockpit views.  Everything seems very logical once you get the hang of it (I'll still be asking for advice because I want to get the most out of this feature I've ignored for 4 years lol.)  I'm actually on the surface of Krypton with the E-Wing cockpit so I guess you can use a star ship for planetary surveys.  I have the main engines at 99, and it says my ship velocity is 83.56 km/sec I set hold altitude- will that keep me on the surface (it's not too fast is it?)  So far altitude is holding.
Also, is there an easy way to do a reverse, like let's say I'm going at warp speeds and overshoot my target?  I noticed the ship slows down as it approaches the target anyway (I hope this is always the case), but I want to be prepared in case I overshoot.
One thing I see that might be a graphical glitch, when I go to the surface of a planet I see a weird grid like pattern in the sky, but when I press go to surface a second time the glitch goes away.  Is this a known issue?
You mean the same way that 747 reverses when it overshoots the runway? Or the way Voyager reverses when it passes Jupiter? ;)

I would think 83.56 km/s would be a tad too fast (that's over 186,000 mph — you'll need one heck of a heatshield :o). Even for orbital velocity. As far as I know, altitude hold will not keep you down near a surface if you are travelling too fast, it will only prevent you from falling. With hover jets. Your ship will need hover jets.

If you want to do realistic entries on the daylight side, set up a stable orbit, when on the dark side, do a retrograde burn to slow down, your orbit should dip into the atmosphere on the other side. 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 10:38

Got it to work!  Thanks for all your help (and for the help the other Alex provided of course.)  I don't know what that other guy was complaining about, I love these ships and especially the cockpit views.  Everything seems very logical once you get the hang of it (I'll still be asking for advice because I want to get the most out of this feature I've ignored for 4 years lol.)  I'm actually on the surface of Krypton with the E-Wing cockpit so I guess you can use a star ship for planetary surveys.  I have the main engines at 99, and it says my ship velocity is 83.56 km/sec I set hold altitude- will that keep me on the surface (it's not too fast is it?)  So far altitude is holding.
Also, is there an easy way to do a reverse, like let's say I'm going at warp speeds and overshoot my target?  I noticed the ship slows down as it approaches the target anyway (I hope this is always the case), but I want to be prepared in case I overshoot.
One thing I see that might be a graphical glitch, when I go to the surface of a planet I see a weird grid like pattern in the sky, but when I press go to surface a second time the glitch goes away.  Is this a known issue?
You mean the same way that 747 reverses when it overshoots the runway? Or the way Voyager reverses when it passes Jupiter? ;)

I would think 83.56 km/s would be a tad too fast (that's over 186,000 mph — you'll need one heck of a heatshield :o). Even for orbital velocity. As far as I know, altitude hold will not keep you down near a surface if you are travelling too fast, it will only prevent you from falling. With hover jets. Your ship will need hover jets.

If you want to do realistic entries on the daylight side, set up a stable orbit, when on the dark side, do a retrograde burn to slow down, your orbit should dip into the atmosphere on the other side. 
It seems to be working though, been going at that speed on Krypton for an hour and the altitude has held.
Lucky the ship slows down on its own and drops out of warp as it approaches the target.  Is this by design?
Wait, ships have hover jets?  I have hover engines set to 0 and main engines at 99.  Elevation has been steady at 1.24 meters and Altitude at 4.92 km (why are these numbers different by the way?)
Do you think headlights on a ship would be a nice thing to have for the dark side?

Wait, I think I misread the speed.....it's 1.70 meters per second?
krypton.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 10:46

The lower left panel has two different numbers, look (speaking of which why wont it let me set the current date and time in Flight Simulation mode?) :
kryptos.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 10:50

Just take off and it should fix itself
Because they're under the misconception that spaceflight is as simple as going in a straight line.
Thanks, as you can see from the screenshots taking off fixed it!  I'm very enthused about Flight Simulation mode.  With intergalactic and intragalactic trips too and the lighting inside the cockpits is a nice extra.
This ship I'm using, I can use it for planetary and intergalactic trips too?  It seems to work for everything and all options seem to be enabled and I love the cockpit views.  Hold altitude works and I can it has a 12 factor warp speed.

hmmm I saw that hold altitude had turned off somehow so I turned it back on but that turns the main engines off (0) and stops all movement, why?  I put the main engines back at 100 and it's started moving like it had been before.

Also had to press the End key to straighten the horizon.  Speed is 1.71 m/sec and Altitude is 4.92 km (above sea level I assume?) and Elevation is 1.25 m.  What does Distance 8433.24 km refer to?  Not distance from the planet, surely?

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

24 Jul 2021 11:30

What does Distance 8433.24 km refer to?  Not distance from the planet, surely?
Distance from the center of the planet.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 11:41

What does Distance 8433.24 km refer to?  Not distance from the planet, surely?
Distance from the center of the planet.
Thanks.  I did something I shouldn't have but I was experimenting because I couldn't get the speed to increase so I set Hover to 100 and it zoomed me off the planet and when I put it back at 0 it's made me crash into the ocean....repeatedly lol.  It looks like an endless loop, how does one stop that? I had to select a different ship from another part of the planet to make it stop and this time (somehow) my speed is higher on the surface (and the hover engine panel has been replaced by boost exponent).  Now I'm going at 83.26 km/sec again (I think?) and still on the surface.  Not sure what is going on here except that I'm in the warp panel so I'll post a screen shot.
warp.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 11:50

No idea what's going on here but I just changed direction and this is what I see.  It wont let me select those two objects in the sky (wonder why?) to find out what they are.
comets.jpg

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

24 Jul 2021 12:59

The four buttons "Hor", "Orb", "Warp", and "Dock" just change the heads-up display, showing different information depending on which flight mode you are in:
  • "Hor" is most useful flying in atmosphere like an airplane, although sometimes some info from the "Orb" mode is useful.
  • "Orb" is most useful for setting up an orbit in space, or even a transfer orbit.
  • "Warp" is of course for interstellar travel. You really don't want to use any warp features in-atmosphere. Or even too close to any gravity well, actually. (Unless you are Canleskis and want to set up your own warp trajectories around a black hole. :o)
  • "Dock" is of course for docking one ship to another.
This might be worth a read: Flight School.

And yes, elevation and altitude refer to altitude above terrain and "sea level" (even if there are no seas).

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Jul 2021 13:08

The four buttons "Hor", "Orb", "Warp", and "Dock" just change the heads-up display, showing different information depending on which flight mode you are in:
They also change Autopilot functions .Prograde changes between Hor, Orb and Warp, sync velocity in Warp corrects your prograde vector, etc.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Jul 2021 13:15

It's weird that setting it to warp lets me attain faster speeds at the surface, faster than I thought would be possible without friction causing me to burn up lol.

Any ideas why I was stuck in a loop and kept splashing into an ocean?  I had just turned on hover and my nice level flight turned into a Twilight Zone nightmare lol.  How can I get out of that loop without having to resort to switching to a different ship?  Also what are those objects in the sky in the last screenshot and why can't I select them to see what they are (one of them is obviously a planet or a moon but the other thing looks like it's burning up)?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

24 Jul 2021 16:18

The atmospheric flight model is very rudimentary at best so far. But you can develop oscillations. Too much speed and you generate more lift, your nose goes up. When your nose goes up, you start losing speed, so your nose drops. As your nose drops, you start picking up speed again. Rinse and repeat.

Or it could have been a bug.

Your velocity vector with the Warp HUD active says 88.31 m/s. The 83km/s speed is probably the orbital speed of the planet (and hence you and your ship) relative to the SE universe that SE uses to calculate warp vectors and velocities. I pretty much stick to autopilot when it comes to warp travel.

As for the UFOs, select one of the free-flight cameras (1, 2, or 3 on the upper row) and move away from your ship, then see if you can click on them. If not, move away from the planet and try again.

They also change Autopilot functions .Prograde changes between Hor, Orb and Warp, sync velocity in Warp corrects your prograde vector, etc.
Yeah, there's that, too. ;)

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

24 Jul 2021 16:24

And Canleskis, sorry for hijacking your thread, perhaps a mod can break out the "flight school" posts into a different thread and keep this one on topic for intergalactic warp flights and black hole slingshots.

-Alex
(the other one)

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

24 Jul 2021 18:25

And Canleskis, sorry for hijacking your thread, perhaps a mod can break out the "flight school" posts into a different thread and keep this one on topic for intergalactic warp flights and black hole slingshots.

-Alex
(the other one)
No problem, it's always good seeing people shed some light on ships in SE! They definitely need more attention.