Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Intergalactic trip in preparation

13 Sep 2021 19:28

and now it's  -0.20 m/sec
You are travelling at an effective speed of 152 light-years per second, and you're worried about a small 0.2 m/sec offset? You could correct that with just the thrusters, without even leaving warp or changing heading.

If the autopilot is not active, then you will fly right past your target. If the autopilot is not active, what will operate the engines if you don't? (Do you have a co-pilot you're not telling us about?)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 21:02

and now it's  -0.20 m/sec
You are travelling at an effective speed of 152 light-years per second, and you're worried about a small 0.2 m/sec offset? You could correct that with just the thrusters, without even leaving warp or changing heading.

If the autopilot is not active, then you will fly right past your target. If the autopilot is not active, what will operate the engines if you don't? (Do you have a co-pilot you're not telling us about?)
so I should just turn the main engines on for a bit?  and then turn them back off?  I was using the sync velocity button which took care of it for a bit but it kept coming back.
I mean it did say "autopilot" in the lower left but you are right it flew me right past the target.  Know what I did then?  I did a sync velocity and it showed me the galaxy in my rear view and then now I'm suddenly headed back towards the galaxy lol.
As I got closer the warp bug actually got higher until it was >1 m/sec.  Should I leave the engines on to keep this value small?  You're right I didn't need to change heading because even when the warp bug was above 10, I still went right through the densest part of the galaxy.
Headed back there now from the opposite direction
scr07550.jpg

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

14 Sep 2021 16:35

Again, you are looking at the numbers and not the units.  Are you familiar with your ship thrusters?

Autopilot has a number of functions. In your last screenshots, the only autopilot function I see active is "Kill rotation".

Also, going back to a post I made awhile back, I think ship control is a bit dodgy in 990. Things happen, like the engines firing up, for no good reason. I'm sorry, but I think ships worked better in 980 than 990.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

14 Sep 2021 16:46

Again, you are looking at the numbers and not the units.  Are you familiar with your ship thrusters?

Autopilot has a number of functions. In your last screenshots, the only autopilot function I see active is "Kill rotation".

Also, going back to a post I made awhile back, I think ship control is a bit dodgy in 990. Things happen, like the engines firing up, for no good reason. I'm sorry, but I think ships worked better in 980 than 990.
ah that explains it!  It's why I flew right through the core of the galaxy lol.  I see the units m/sec which means it's a very small bug, which is why I didn't drift away from center at least.
I'm going to experiment with 0980 too, I take it any modification advice that applies to 0990 also applies to 0980?  I ended up lowering my max warp from 20 to 15.7 which is what I calculated I'd need to go from one edge of the SE universe to the other (approximately 60 billion light years) in under 12 hours with engines set to the max value of 100.  I'll then edit the booster exponent value according to the mission I'm on.  But I'm wondering about something....is there a way to keep the Hyperjump autopilot active at lower than max warp speed (so it will take me out of warp automatically when I get near my target)?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

15 Sep 2021 15:50

Warp 15.7 seems to be a nice balance between speed and duration.  Took me 20 minutes to go 6.7 million light years after which the autopilot brought me out of warp and I adjusted my boost exponent to 11.733 for a more leisurely tour through the galaxy.

Question regarding main engines....is setting main engines to 100 on my ship equivalent to raising boost exponent two units over 12 hours?  So for example...... is a Boost exponent of 15.7 with Main engines of 100 over 12 hours equivalent to a Boost exponent of 17.7 with Main engines of 0 over 12 hours?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

17 Sep 2021 18:24

Warp 15.7 seems to be a nice balance between speed and duration.  Took me 20 minutes to go 6.7 million light years after which the autopilot brought me out of warp and I adjusted my boost exponent to 11.733 for a more leisurely tour through the galaxy.

Question regarding main engines....is setting main engines to 100 on my ship equivalent to raising boost exponent two units over 12 hours?  So for example...... is a Boost exponent of 15.7 with Main engines of 100 over 12 hours equivalent to a Boost exponent of 17.7 with Main engines of 0 over 12 hours?
No idea. Just keep in mind that the warp speed throttle sets a fixed speed (dependent on your real physical velocity, of course), whereas the main engines throttle sets your rate of acceleration. An engine capable of 12g acceleration will get you moving faster than a 6g-capable engine after a similar amount of time of engine thrust. I think this may be a job for some calculus.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

17 Sep 2021 20:20

Right, I'm now wanting both an accelerator curve and a boost exponent curve function.  This is what I mean....first for accelerator curve..... a way to create a custom curve function for the accelerator to gradually increase speed while within the host galaxy to leisurely see all the sights and to reach max acceleration in the intergalactic void and then slowly decelerate as one gets close to the destination galaxy.  This kind of custom curve could apply to any kind of trip really.

For boost exponent there should be a similar custom curve with the value lowest when within the galaxy and highest in the intergalactic void.  Is this kind of stuff easy to implement?  I got the idea when I was messing with the custom curves on my graphics card and cpu fans lol.  We could also set a threshold for min and max.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Oct 2021 12:29

No idea. Just keep in mind that the warp speed throttle sets a fixed speed (dependent on your real physical velocity, of course), whereas the main engines throttle sets your rate of acceleration. An engine capable of 12g acceleration will get you moving faster than a 6g-capable engine after a similar amount of time of engine thrust. I think this may be a job for some calculus.
Hey Fellow Alex, I am back to testing new ships with more immersive cockpit views.  I found a really good one called the Prometheus.  It uses all 8 cameras!
Only one problem though.....and it's a big one.  If all 8 camera slots are being used and I like all 8 of them how can I change the maximum warp?  It's at Warp 12 and I need that 15.7 to explore distant parts of the SE universe.  Is there a way to do it without editing any of the cameras?  Can I add  a ninth camera?
This will probably apply to the other ships I've found with lots of cock pit views I really like (one is over 550 MB!)
USCSS Prometheus

Watcher of the Skies Vanguard

Paranid Plutus Mineral

Argon Cereberus Vanguard

Argon Light Fighter 2

Argon Courier

Best are Prometheus, Watcher, Paranid, Cereberus and Light Fighter 2

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

20 Oct 2021 13:32

The number of camera's defined per ship has nothing at all to do with flight or other physical characteristics of the ship.

Definitions are in the same *.sss file (plain text), but nothing to do with each other.

"MainEngines" — maximum acceleration ship is capable of in normal space.
"WarpBoostLog" — maximum warp boost available. ("Warpdrive" will have to be "true" for a ship to be capable of hyperdrive.)

Camera definitions follow physical attributes.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

20 Oct 2021 22:44

The number of camera's defined per ship has nothing at all to do with flight or other physical characteristics of the ship.

Definitions are in the same *.sss file (plain text), but nothing to do with each other.

"MainEngines" — maximum acceleration ship is capable of in normal space.
"WarpBoostLog" — maximum warp boost available. ("Warpdrive" will have to be "true" for a ship to be capable of hyperdrive.)

Camera definitions follow physical attributes.
No I mean dont I have to edit a camera to make the .sss file visible so that I can edit the warp speed?  This ship is lovely but its engines are ridiculously weak, only 8.66 g for the main engines at 100 power, whats up with that? I need to increase the warp from 12 to 16 to compensate for that.  So you're saying I dont need to edit one of these 8 cameras or alter them to make the .sss file that can edit the warp speed visible?  Do you think I should edit the main engine power too? Is that the one that will affect how well the ship can fly over the planet (like an air ship)? If so I should probably leave that alone and just edit the warp speed.  Also 8 is the maximum number of cameras on any ship isn't it, so I can't add any more?  If I can see the .sss file without editing a camera I will be ecstatic because I really love the position of all these cameras and dont want to change them.

I remember you earlier recommended the Merlin One and I have that installed, but you also said it doesn't have a good cockpit view and only has one camera in the cockpit correct?
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 21 Oct 2021 01:47, edited 1 time in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Oct 2021 01:05

Well I see all the sss files are in the workshop folder and I didn't have to touch the cameras to see them.  Here's something I saw though.....there's a setting for "Aeromodel" and while all the other ships I just downloaded have it set to "Shuttle" the Prometheus ship I'm currently using has it set to "No"..... what does that mean and will that make this ship less useful for travel on a planet as an airship?  If so I might as well set it to "Shuttle" just like the others?  Is there any other parameter I need to change to make it fly in the atmosphere (airship) like the other models I downloaded or just change Aero Model "No" to "Shuttle"  All other parameters for these ships seem to be exactly the same, Main engines 85 m/sec2 or 8.66 g (I'll leave that unchanged) and Warp set to 12 (which I'll set to 16 on each ship.)

I remember you earlier recommended the Merlin One and I have that installed, but you also said it doesn't have a good cockpit view and only has one camera in the cockpit correct?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

21 Oct 2021 13:42

I recommended editing a camera as an easy way to extract the *.sss file from a zipped archive — get SE to actually do it for you by writing a new file. :) But if you're familiar with extracting files from zipped archives, that is always best, I suppose.

If you have the Merlin, by all means, give it a try. It is a very well done model. (No warp drive, though, I do believe.) Your idea of a great cockpit view may be different from mine. ;)

Main engines are just that — the main engines, that gives you thrust. Used in orbit, used in atmosphere. But hover engines can be useful in atmosphere, too.

I've done very little ship editing in 990, mostly in 980. And I don't know if Vlad has updated his "Build A Ship" tutorial on this website, so I have no idea about the "Aeromodel" parameter. Actually unaware of it until you mentioned it. I have no idea what other, if any, options are available.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Oct 2021 16:37

I recommended editing a camera as an easy way to extract the *.sss file from a zipped archive — get SE to actually do it for you by writing a new file. :) But if you're familiar with extracting files from zipped archives, that is always best, I suppose.

If you have the Merlin, by all means, give it a try. It is a very well done model. (No warp drive, though, I do believe.) Your idea of a great cockpit view may be different from mine. ;)

Main engines are just that — the main engines, that gives you thrust. Used in orbit, used in atmosphere. But hover engines can be useful in atmosphere, too.

I've done very little ship editing in 990, mostly in 980. And I don't know if Vlad has updated his "Build A Ship" tutorial on this website, so I have no idea about the "Aeromodel" parameter. Actually unaware of it until you mentioned it. I have no idea what other, if any, options are available.
I've done it but I dont like it lol.  I didn't have to do it though all the workshop .sss files are in their own folder, dont have to do anything :)
I can just edit the sss file for the Merlin and add the warp drive myself right? Seems simple enough lol
I just switched Aeromodel from No to Shuttle to match the other ships I downloaded from the same developer.  All other parameters seem to be the same.  I switched Warp to 16 for all the ships I downloaded from him which is the kind of speed I need.
Does main engine speed of 85 seem slow to you? It's 8.66 g.  Should I increase it to 12.2 g like the other ship I use a lot or leave it as is and will increasing main engine speed make it more difficult for me to use the ship as an air ship for flights near the surface of a planet?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Oct 2021 17:51

I love this ship the colors are much richer when I use it.
scr07809.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

21 Oct 2021 18:04

Crossing the center of M31
scr07815.jpg