Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Intergalactic trip in preparation

11 Sep 2021 14:47

Thanks, Fellow Alex!  Do you think doing everything manually in the way described (1- sync velocity, 2- rotate to target, 3- set boost exponent) is the best way to go or is it better to use the Hyperjump button and try to stop the boost exponent from getting too high by clicking on a lower number as the value is changing?
Outside of efficiency and accuracy, there's really no difference. Whatever floats your boat.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

11 Sep 2021 15:01

Earth mass of energy into a space only a hundred or so meters in diameter. 
Earth's Schwarzschild radius is only that of a marble
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

11 Sep 2021 16:46

Earth's Schwarzschild radius is only that of a marble
The implication here is the drive goes boom.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Sep 2021 18:29

he found that a warp drive wouldn’t need to use negative energy. Lentz’s solution would allow the bubble to travel faster than the speed of light.
He still has the issue with horizons and just because he built a geometry which has balanced forces, he still has solutions within requiring these internal regions to have a negative pressure/energy.  There is a reason his solution still creates a black hole if you do the calculations, you cannot cram a Jupiter or Earth mass of energy into a space only a hundred or so meters in diameter. 
Yes that does sound rather daunting.  Glad you read the paper, too, Doc!  Do you have optimism that say within the next few hundred years or so (especially once we have a working theory of quantum gravity) we'll be able to make this workable?  This sounds more doable than the traversable wormhole option......

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Sep 2021 18:31

Thanks, Fellow Alex!  Do you think doing everything manually in the way described (1- sync velocity, 2- rotate to target, 3- set boost exponent) is the best way to go or is it better to use the Hyperjump button and try to stop the boost exponent from getting too high by clicking on a lower number as the value is changing?
Outside of efficiency and accuracy, there's really no difference. Whatever floats your boat.
I assume the efficiency and accuracy nods go towards the auto hyperjump option?  I tried to use it today, it's unworkable, turns out the program won't let you change the boost exponent until AFTER hyperjump is finished and by then it's too late and I'm already at the target.  I'll have to go the manual route or lower max warp to 15 or so.  So 15 is still a thousand times faster than 12?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Sep 2021 18:35

he found that a warp drive wouldn’t need to use negative energy. Lentz’s solution would allow the bubble to travel faster than the speed of light.
He still has the issue with horizons and just because he built a geometry which has balanced forces, he still has solutions within requiring these internal regions to have a negative pressure/energy.  There is a reason his solution still creates a black hole if you do the calculations, you cannot cram a Jupiter or Earth mass of energy into a space only a hundred or so meters in diameter. 
In the abstract they mention conventional EM sources, but failed to mention exactly how much is required, even if it is conventional,  still it is a step forward.  At this rate we could hit upon the right formula in a few hundred years, especially with a working theory of quantum gravity.  Hopefully by then we'll also know the minimum scale of spacetime and all the singularities will disappear (as you know I favor loop quantum cosmology and the cyclical big bounce model and gravity becoming a repulsive force in two dimensions.)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Sep 2021 20:10

I guess to answer my question of what my warp limit should be, I need to mention that I want to get to the furthest object in the SE universe in 12 hours.  What warp setting would do this and what is the furthest object in the SE universe and how far away is it?

Is it this?

This planet is orbiting a star which is 40k ly away from the center of its host Galaxy which is 28 billion ly from us. One of the farthest point in the space engine universe. The mountain in front of us, towers 15 miles above the landscape in an atmosphere made mostly of ethylene C2H4. All of the Galaxies in this sector were extremely red shifted as I approached them.
Planet : RS 0-7-1797558-2086-301-0-0-0 10

or this

That's 8.659 Gpc, or 28.24 billion Light Years away.
I went to a corner of the universe, found the most distant galaxy, and then the most distant star in that galaxy. The game is laggy this far out and crashes a lot. The night sky on the planets in this system is frighteningly dark.
RS 0-9-57521883-101-5-9-31898220-0

or this

Try RG 0-8-6624387-1869. That's where I've been hanging out a lot. It's at the edge of the cube. Stuff shows up on one side, blank nothingness on the other.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

11 Sep 2021 20:28

I think I figured it out.  Using 30 billion LY as the approximate maximum distance of any object in SE from Earth.  Using Warp 15.4 I should get there in about 11.6 hours- are my calculations correct?  To do a full diameter trip of the SE universe it would be 60 billion LY so I would need to use warp 15.7 (twice as fast as warp 15.4) to get it done in less than 12 hours.  But if the SE universe is a cube are the maximum distances and full maximum diagonal width of the SE universe cube different or do I still have the right numbers?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

12 Sep 2021 01:15

I tried to use it today, it's unworkable, turns out the program won't let you change the boost exponent until AFTER hyperjump is finished and by then it's too late and I'm already at the target.
Yeah, thought you could do that in .9.8.0, but just as easy to turn off the hyperjump autopilot after going to warp (its already done all the vector adjustments by then) and then manually adjusting the boost so the time to target matches your requirements.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

12 Sep 2021 06:04

I tried to use it today, it's unworkable, turns out the program won't let you change the boost exponent until AFTER hyperjump is finished and by then it's too late and I'm already at the target.
Yeah, thought you could do that in .9.8.0, but just as easy to turn off the hyperjump autopilot after going to warp (its already done all the vector adjustments by then) and then manually adjusting the boost so the time to target matches your requirements.
oh I will try that next (meaning today lol).  So is the hyperjump autopilot anything more than sync velocity, rotate to target and go into warp in that order?  If I just did the first two by clicking on their respective buttons manually and then manually setting the boost exponent myself wont I get the exact same result?  But I will try your method first, which is to click on the hyperjump autopilot to turn it off right after rotate to target and just before going to warp (unless you mean to wait until the HUD says it's going into warp but hasn't set the warp speed yet?)

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Sep 2021 11:54

Do you have optimism that say within the next few hundred years or so (especially once we have a working theory of quantum gravity) we'll be able to make this workable?
I think STL warp may be possible but the FTL aspect not so much.
In the abstract they mention conventional EM sources, but failed to mention exactly how much is required, even if it is conventional
A strong enough EMF in specific layouts could do the bending of space, but any appreciable notions of curvature that could be used as a warp would require ungodly amounts of energy.  Even from all the papers I have on the subject nobody has really figured out proper optimizations for this and it may be one of those issues that cannot be solved.
If you are curious about all the papers I have saved and some supplemental videos I have attached a document to this post.
Attachments
WarpDrive.txt
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 00:26

Do you have optimism that say within the next few hundred years or so (especially once we have a working theory of quantum gravity) we'll be able to make this workable?
I think STL warp may be possible but the FTL aspect not so much.
In the abstract they mention conventional EM sources, but failed to mention exactly how much is required, even if it is conventional
A strong enough EMF in specific layouts could do the bending of space, but any appreciable notions of curvature that could be used as a warp would require ungodly amounts of energy.  Even from all the papers I have on the subject nobody has really figured out proper optimizations for this and it may be one of those issues that cannot be solved.
If you are curious about all the papers I have saved and some supplemental videos I have attached a document to this post.
Thanks, Doc, I knew you'd come through on this!  I just downloaded the txt file.  I assume it includes the March 2021 paper about FTL warp without negative energy too?
This could be one of those things where the amount of energy required for effective FTL  is so high because of the cosmic censorship principle, which almost makes it seem like the universe conspires to make this impossible (even though the actual speed never exceeds conventional limits, it's just space that's being manipulated to make it appear so).  Just another interesting aspect of the geometry of the universe.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 11:13

Okay so I did the Hyperjump to do an automated sync velocity and rotate to target and then I turned Hyperjump off and that worked.  And then I set Boost exponent to where I want and all of that works fine.  But here's the issue- every once in awhile I get a -0.10 m/sec purple warp bug which only disappears when I sync velocity again (I dont leave warp to do this).  But every 30 minutes or so this warp bug reappears.  Should I keep clicking sync velocity when this happens or should I just leave it be?  I seem to be headed right towards my target regardless.

Also with warp set this way do I need to get out of warp when I get near my target or will the autopilot (seems to be turned on looking at the HUD) automatically take me out of warp just before I get to my target?
scr07514.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 17:24

See above post for details and picture but if I leave that annoying -0.10 m/sec purple warp bug alone it rises, now it's up to -0.18 m/sec.  Do I need to click sync velocity every 30 minutes because that's how often it reappears.  It goes away for awhile when I do sync velocity but then comes back.
Also will the ship automatically drop out of warp when it gets near the target even though hyperjump isn't activated (though the HUD on the left indicates autopilot is still on.)
scr07518.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

13 Sep 2021 17:44

and now it's  -0.20 m/sec
scr07524.jpg