Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Intergalactic trip in preparation

27 Jul 2021 17:01

it's easier to tell from the videos I made that the leaves move with the breeze, but you can also see hints of it when comparing the above image to the one below
scr02290.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

27 Jul 2021 17:06

The rotating bases you mentioned in the other thread, are they actual Workshop add-ons or do you have to construct them yourself using the tools you mentioned?
Here.
And as far as I know, there are no ships with rotating parts while other parts remain stationary. I do not believe that is possible in S.E. yet.
Thanks, I saw where you said that autopilot functions make the ships not rotatable.  Other than Hold altitude what are the other Autopilot functions?  Can I turn all off en masse instead of going through them one by one.....maybe there is an Autopilot toggle button somewhere?  I sometimes use the <end> key to level my horizon but I see this has unexpected effects vs how it works in Planetarium mode and disables my left-right movements.  Good news is, it seems to be a toggle button as I can press it again to re-enable my left-right movements.

Also, if I want to do a complete reverse is the best way to do it to turn all the way around using the horizontal grid as my guide ( so if the marker says I am going at 270 degrees, do a 180 and change my direction to 90 degrees?)

Also, I dont know if you saw it on the previous page but the horizontal leveler doesn't seem to be working, when I set Main engines to 1 it crashes me into the planet at 68 m/sec and when I set it to 2 it flies me off the planet at 95 m/sec lol and the planet's gravity is 0.913 that of earth and its atmospheric pressure is 6.16 atm.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

28 Jul 2021 00:30

You are not doing your homework. I can't explain them any more clearly than this:

Familiarizing yourself with the controls. Scroll down a little...

For your current problems, ship engines may be too powerful, so you have no fine control. Planet's atmosphere too dense, harder to control a ship.

Also, the altitude hold auto pilot is not perfect. You will descend, but very slowly. (Unless you are going too fast!)

If you have retro engines, coming to a complete stop (or very nearly so) and then spinning around may be the best way to turn around. And of course, use your compass tape. If you try to do a bank turn it may be difficult with any speed, and the faster you are going, the larger your turning radius will be.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

28 Jul 2021 01:12

You are not doing your homework. I can't explain them any more clearly than this:

Familiarizing yourself with the controls. Scroll down a little...

For your current problems, ship engines may be too powerful, so you have no fine control. Planet's atmosphere too dense, harder to control a ship.

Also, the altitude hold auto pilot is not perfect. You will descend, but very slowly. (Unless you are going too fast!)

If you have retro engines, coming to a complete stop (or very nearly so) and then spinning around may be the best way to turn around. And of course, use your compass tape. If you try to do a bank turn it may be difficult with any speed, and the faster you are going, the larger your turning radius will be.
This all makes a lot of sense.  I was just thinking that 95 m/sec would be too slow to escape the gravity of a planet lol.  It should be lower than the escape velocity of the planet (which I dont see listed anywhere in the display?)
I'll try the retro engines, I haven't used them yet.  I'm going at slower speeds now than I was before so coming to a complete stop is easier.  The world I'm exploring right now is a very rare grass world- I don't think there are many of these in SE, this is only the second one I've ever found (and the first one in 0990- the other one was in 0980.)
Also, is the frame rate supposed to be lower in Flight Simulation mode?  I get frame rates of between 10-15 fps during the day and around 18 fps at night in Flight Simulation mode.  I did "destroy" ships I was using during my testing process, before I did that, the frame rate was stuck at 10 fps.  I have my framecapper set at 30 fps, because that seems to be a good frame rate for this simulation and that is what the frame rate is in Planetarium mode.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

28 Jul 2021 13:48

With the HUD in Orbital mode, there are three numbers underneath the right side of the heading tape: V, V[sub]1[/sub], and, V[sub]2[/sub].  V is your current velocity relative to the reference body. V[sub]1[/sub] is the velocity required for a circular orbit (at your current altitude — note that this velocity will also be perpendicular to the reference body's center of gravity, simply travelling at this speed does not guarantee a circular orbit). V[sub]2[/sub] is the escape velocity at your current distance from the reference body.

And one must also remember that achieving escape velocity is not the only means of leaving a gravity well, proving one has a constant source of (enough) thrust. (Did they not do that in "The Mouse that Roared"?)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jul 2021 04:51

With the HUD in Orbital mode, there are three numbers underneath the right side of the heading tape: V, V[sub]1[/sub], and, V[sub]2[/sub].  V is your current velocity relative to the reference body. V[sub]1[/sub] is the velocity required for a circular orbit (at your current altitude — note that this velocity will also be perpendicular to the reference body's center of gravity, simply travelling at this speed does not guarantee a circular orbit). V[sub]2[/sub] is the escape velocity at your current distance from the reference body.

And one must also remember that achieving escape velocity is not the only means of leaving a gravity well, proving one has a constant source of (enough) thrust. (Did they not do that in "The Mouse that Roared"?)
Yes!  and thanks for the Orbit info, I actually had not checked out that tab yet.  So I can switch back and forth between Orb and Hor without altering my current path?  I'm always a little leery of going into other tabs when I have a flight path I like, lest doing that change it and I end up crashing or flying off into space lol.
So maybe using Orb I can figure out some things I've wanted to know.  What is the closest to the surface of a planet one can achieve a circular orbit?  And what would be the velocity and other settings required to do so?  Also do these ships have the capability of functioning as air cars or hover cars, basically traveling while hovering only a few feet above the ground?  I thought they might be, as I accidentally discovered yesterday when my ship started climbing a hill when it was only 4 meters above the surface.  I found that quite entertaining.  My velocity was only 0.32 m/s lol.  I hope it can do it faster but I didn't try to increase the speed- I didn't want it to fly off lol.

Also what does pressing <Home> do?  I accidentally discovered this toggle, it makes everything much bigger and the cockpit window covers the whole screen now?  The frame rate in Flight Simulation mode is supposed to be slower than it is in Planetarium mode, right, and under 20 fps is perfectly fine in Flight Simulation mode?

Something else I've found is I'm much more prone to crashing into the ground during the night than I am during the day (at the same speed.)  Also, if I leave an aircraft in a certain place, expecting it to be there when I get back and it isn't...... is that because it continues to fly after I turn the computer off?  And is there any way to return to a saved location in Flight Simulation mode? I can't find a way to do it, even when not piloting a ship!
scr02430.jpg
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 29 Jul 2021 06:19, edited 3 times in total.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jul 2021 04:56

Hey other Alex, what is this thing I've found on Alexworld?  It looks ominous and it's right next to Alexworld's moon!
scr02422.jpg

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

29 Jul 2021 09:01

What is the closest to the surface of a planet one can achieve a circular orbit?  And what would be the velocity and other settings required to do so?
This question is pointless; this varies planet to planet and depends if they have an atmosphere or not. I'm just going to tell you now that most of these questions would best be answered by Google Because you're becoming overdependent on your questions being answered here, and most of them are basic enough for googling anyway.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

29 Jul 2021 09:21

What is the closest to the surface of a planet one can achieve a circular orbit?  And what would be the velocity and other settings required to do so?
This question is pointless; this varies planet to planet and depends if they have an atmosphere or not. I'm just going to tell you now that most of these questions would best be answered by Google Because you're becoming overdependent on your questions being answered here, and most of them are basic enough for googling anyway.
I should've just specified I meant the planet I'm exploring right now.  It has a gravity 0.913 that of earth and its atmosphere is 6.61x that of ours.  Rather than using Google I want to learn the calculations necessary so that I can figure it out for myself.  I try to use Google as little as possible (big tech and all that- when I do use a search engine I use Duck Duck Go.)

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

29 Jul 2021 12:03

I should've just specified I meant the planet I'm exploring right now.  It has a gravity 0.913 that of earth and its atmosphere is 6.61x that of ours.  Rather than using Google I want to learn the calculations necessary so that I can figure it out for myself.  I try to use Google as little as possible (big tech and all that- when I do use a search engine I use Duck Duck Go.)
You don't need to, just burn horizontal outside the atmosphere until your orbit does not cross the atmosphere. Come on!

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

29 Jul 2021 14:39

Hey other Alex, what is this thing I've found on Alexworld?  It looks ominous and it's right next to Alexworld's moon!

scr02422.jpg
Clouds. Normals for 2D clouds get a bit funky when going vertical and viewed from below (cloud funnel appears to be lit from the wrong side).

Home key is the camera zoom. Use with Page up and Page down keys.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Jul 2021 08:12

scr02422.jpg
Clouds. Normals for 2D clouds get a bit funky when going vertical and viewed from below (cloud funnel appears to be lit from the wrong side).

Home key is the camera zoom. Use with Page up and Page down keys.
Weird, I thought it was a funnel cloud too so I tried to go close to it to see if it would suck me up lol.  It didn't...no Wizard of Oz experience I'm afraid.
The weird thing is we had 7 tornadoes yesterday and one injured 5 people and collapsed a mall and cars at a dealership were blown away and tossed around like toys.  I actually saw the tornado in SE an hour before the real ones hit.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Jul 2021 08:20

You don't need to, just burn horizontal outside the atmosphere until your orbit does not cross the atmosphere. Come on!
Burn horizontal? I don't even know what that is lol.  I looked it up as you suggested and all I came up with is various articles and a pdf about burning fires.  I have to keep saying this, I've never used a flight simulator of any type before so this is all new to me.  I have to assume it means flying at a horizontal level altitude just outside of the atmosphere (black skies), slowly lowering my velocity until I get to the lowest number that doesn't cross me back into the atmosphere?
I take it the above doesn't apply to airless worlds?  There I could fly as close to the surface as possible but use the same technique to find the lowest velocity that keeps me from hitting the surface?

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

30 Jul 2021 08:41

Burn horizontal? I don't even know what that is lol.
Do what every elementary school teaches you and deconstruct the sentence. Burn = fire rockets and horizontal = sideways. The only problem I'm having is that you need other people to do this for you; half your sentences can be culled by thinking. If you do that, you'll be able to solve problems yourself and that's pretty important in spaceflight.
I take it the above doesn't apply to airless worlds?
Do airless worlds have atmospheres?
I'm going to leave this convo by leaving a link to Scott Manley's KSP tutorials. You'll learn a lot more watching these tutorials than asking questions here.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Jul 2021 09:37

Burn horizontal? I don't even know what that is lol.
Do what every elementary school teaches you and deconstruct the sentence. Burn = fire rockets and horizontal = sideways. The only problem I'm having is that you need other people to do this for you; half your sentences can be culled by thinking. If you do that, you'll be able to solve problems yourself and that's pretty important in spaceflight.
I take it the above doesn't apply to airless worlds?
Do airless worlds have atmospheres?
I'm going to leave this convo by leaving a link to Scott Manley's KSP tutorials. You'll learn a lot more watching these tutorials than asking questions here.
Well, I gave a description of what I thought you meant in the same paragraph, so I just wanted to know if I was correct in my thinking, because that sounded logical.
It sounds like I was right on both parts.  And since airless worlds should be treated like space touches the surface.  And then there are worlds that have very thin atmospheres where space is only a couple of miles above the surface (you can tell them apart by how close to the surface the blackness of space gets- those are actually my favorites to explore.)  Most of the time when I'm asking something I already know the answer because I thought it through, I just need some kind of confirmation of that since it's the first time I'm doing this.  Thanks!