Ultimate space simulation software

 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 08:39

longname wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post The funny thing is I see it most when I switch between cameras.  I was hoping to see a more defined boundary between the bubble and outside the bubble, but I guess it's easier to see when there are more stars in the background like when traveling inside a galaxy.

But there is a well defined boundary if you zoom out. You're inside that bubble so you don't see the edge.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post You seem to be well versed in these things so I'll ask you this.  If this does eventually prove to be a workable propulsion method (that is, if we eventually discover negative energy), would a crew be able to communicate in real time with say, planet Earth, while they were in warp (for example, like a zoom call?)  I would guess not?

'Would a crew be able to communicate'
I don't know.
'in real time'
No.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Also let's say a trip was planned to a system 100 LY away and was reached in, say, 30 days, using hyperjump; once at the destination would we be able to use hyperspace for communication (so it wouldn't take 100 years for the message to get back to Earth?)

What does 'using hyperspace' mean here?
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post One other thing, if a round trip was planned using hyperjumps to the same system, take a month to get there, spend a month there and another month to come back.....how much time would've passed on Earth when they got back?  Would it be the same 3 months of time that the astronauts experienced or would more time have passed for earthers?

Alcubierre drives can create geodesics that trace back in time I.E. I don't know.

"hyperjump" like what's mentioned in SE when warp is employed.  I was doing some reading about it last night and since there is no significant time dilation at least as far as we know, the people who were left behind shouldn't have experienced time differently than the astronauts would have.  No idea about communication  but I would presume no since I can't think of a way for a communication signal to be transported inside a warp bubble.  You'd need another space ship for that.

Thanks I zoomed out as far as I could and I can see it now.  Default FOV shows no sign of it.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 08:48

A-L-E-X wrote:
Mr. Abner wrote:
I'll try one more time... the SE warp drives operates by getting your velocity through real space up to about 10 km/sec and heading directly towards your target. It does this by showing you a delta-v — change in velocity — bug on your screen. It is saying "fly in this direction until the delta-v shown drops to zero". That will have changed your direction and speed through real space to put your hyperspace bug on your target.

Now you can rotate towards your target (or, in reality, the hyperspace vector), and engage the warp drive.  If you want, you can by all means fire up the main engines again. You will build up speed, and that will be translated into greater warp speed. But the basic autopilot was not made to take 1,400 km/sec speeds into account. It will try and bleed that off, and it takes time to do that.

Answer me this: You are travelling at 10 km/sec and you need to adjust your course 20 degrees to starboard. Another ship is travelling at 1,400 km/sec and needs to adjust its course by 20 degrees. They both have the same mass and engines capable of 12.2g of thrust. Which one do you think will achieve the course correction first?


Also: Your target is 6.7 million light-years away, but your velocity vector is off by one-half a degree. Without any course corrections, by how much will you miss your target?

Ah okay so it's silly for me to keep going in that direction after the bug has been neutralized to zero even though if I keep it up the crosshairs of the velocity vector and boost factor line up.  So I wasted 2 extra hours there and then another 4 hours after selecting Hyperjump to cancel out the positive bug that built up from waiting that extra 2 hours.  That explains why the journey's length is variable.....13 hours + 6 hours = 19 hours which explains why it was taking longer when I unnecessarily ran the main engines at full blast in the direction of a bug that no longer exists.  So from now on I'll turn on Hyperjump as soon as the negative velocity vector bug is gone, regardless of where the markers are.  The 1,400 km/sec was only happening because I kept flying in that direction even after the negative velocity vector bug was gone, for an extra 2 hours, to get the green and pink markers right on top of each other.  Which now seems completely unnecessary lol.  The 'fly in this direction to neutralize the delta v bug' I can do that at Main engines 100 though right because the higher the engine thrust the faster the bug will be corrected?  Just dont stay in that direction any longer than it takes for the negative velocity vector bug to go away and then select Hyperjump right away?

One thing though, I don't need to select rotate to target correct?  I can just select Hyperjump and that will both sync velocity and rotate to target?  Because I see it automatically calls both functions.

lol that first question is easy, the first ship will achieve the directional change 140x sooner because its velocity is 140x slower.  

I'm actually not sure about the answer to the other question but let's try some deductive reasoning.  The Andromeda Galaxy is 2.54 million light years away and about 3 degrees wide.  A galaxy that is 6.7 million light years away is 2.64x further away than M31 but since the course correction would amount to half a degree, it should be one sixth the width of M31 at its distance.  So 220,000 ly divided by 6 which is 36,667 Ly but then you have to multiply that by 2.64x to see how far off you'd be at 6.7 million Ly without applying the course correction and it turns into a whopping 96,800 Ly!  Did I get that right?

Fellow Alex, when you have time please let me know if these answers are correct, as I'd like to know (especially with the second one, for which I just used some reasoning skills and quick calculations.)  Anyway I went into Hyperjump 16 minutes after turning on the engines to correct for the velocity vector bug (the blue and pink markers were close to each other but not completely lined up, a couple of millimeters off I'd say) and the negative velocity vector bug had turned positive (about 96 km/sec) when I went into Hyperjump so it only took about 12 minutes to burn off that positive back to zero and then I was on my way!
This is just before I went into Hyperjump
scr06640.jpg
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 08:50

And now

scr06644.jpg
 
Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 603
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 10:33

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I'm actually not sure about the answer to the other question but let's try some deductive reasoning.  The Andromeda Galaxy is 2.54 million light years away and about 3 degrees wide.  A galaxy that is 6.7 million light years away is 2.64x further away than M31 but since the course correction would amount to half a degree, it should be one sixth the width of M31 at its distance.  So 220,000 ly divided by 6 which is 36,667 Ly but then you have to multiply that by 2.64x to see how far off you'd be at 6.7 million Ly without applying the course correction and it turns into a whopping 96,800 Ly!  Did I get that right?

Well, my maths says 58,470 light-years. If it's a galaxy, you may hit the edges.

[math]

Solve for O. (Where A = 6.7 million light-years, [math] = one-half degree.)


Something went wrong in your first pic. SE seems to think you need to adjust your velocity by 32.62 light-years per second.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 13:55

Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I'm actually not sure about the answer to the other question but let's try some deductive reasoning.  The Andromeda Galaxy is 2.54 million light years away and about 3 degrees wide.  A galaxy that is 6.7 million light years away is 2.64x further away than M31 but since the course correction would amount to half a degree, it should be one sixth the width of M31 at its distance.  So 220,000 ly divided by 6 which is 36,667 Ly but then you have to multiply that by 2.64x to see how far off you'd be at 6.7 million Ly without applying the course correction and it turns into a whopping 96,800 Ly!  Did I get that right?

Well, my maths says 58,470 light-years. If it's a galaxy, you may hit the edges.

[math]

Solve for O. (Where A = 6.7 million light-years, [math] = one-half degree.)


Something went wrong in your first pic. SE seems to think you need to adjust your velocity by 32.62 light-years per second.

It ends up being a lot further away than 58,470 light years though because I end up in the middle of empty space lol.
I tried using the tangent function before I came up with my own formula, but neither of them seem to be in the ballpark of what I actually ended up with when I did that.
I'm not even sure that my number is high enough because when I didn't correct for the bug, I never got within 100,000 Ly of a galaxy.
If it was close enough for me to be near the edges of the galaxy I would've tried to manually correct it, however the distance to the galaxy actually ends up being more than my starting point.
SE always seems to state 32.62 Ly but when I click Hyperjump it actually corrects for a much lower value.
 
Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 603
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 17:08

I picked the one-half degree out of the air, as a sample of a small angular error resulting in a large miss at the other end.  The point really being that the sooner you make course corrections, the less energy (and time) you will have to expend to make that change.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

31 Aug 2021 18:34

Mr. Abner wrote:
I picked the one-half degree out of the air, as a sample of a small angular error resulting in a large miss at the other end.  The point really being that the sooner you make course corrections, the less energy (and time) you will have to expend to make that change.

Right I noticed that too, which is that's the first part of my process now.  Correct errors before moving at high speeds.  Trip is going much quickly now since I shut off the engines after reaching 96 km/sec.  I think I'll try to keep it under 100 from now on.  Corrections that take less than 20 minutes are much more my cup of tea.
You've been very helpful, fellow Alex!  I hope orbiting around ringed planets is just as much fun as this is.  6.7 million light years from Earth is likely going to be my limit for my two part videos.  For the 12 hour one part videos I can do voyages to M31 and M33, which are the larger nearby galaxies everyone knows about.  I can imagine M31 probably having a higher likelihood of life than our own from sheer size alone.  By the way, speaking of that, how many grassy planets have you found?  I'd found only one in 0.980 and one so far in 0.990.  They're very rare.  I try to keep lists of planets where I've found very obvious signs of life (like a grass covered world.)
scr06658.jpg
 
Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 603
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Intergalactic trip in preparation

02 Sep 2021 22:49

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post By the way, speaking of that, how many grassy planets have you found?  I'd found only one in 0.980 and one so far in 0.990.  They're very rare.  I try to keep lists of planets where I've found very obvious signs of life (like a grass covered world.)

Grass? I've come across plenty of planets with complex terrestrial life. There's usually a lot of green or purple associated with that. I suppose that could be grass. But plenty. In 980.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

03 Sep 2021 09:15

Mr. Abner wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post By the way, speaking of that, how many grassy planets have you found?  I'd found only one in 0.980 and one so far in 0.990.  They're very rare.  I try to keep lists of planets where I've found very obvious signs of life (like a grass covered world.)

Grass? I've come across plenty of planets with complex terrestrial life. There's usually a lot of green or purple associated with that. I suppose that could be grass. But plenty. In 980.

Complex terrestrial life?  Do you mean actual animals that move around?  All I've ever found is nonmoving stuff like grass and maybe lichen on rocks?  The purple stuff you mentioned sounds like mineral deposits, which I've found also.
By the way I did my longest journey of 12 hours or less, couldn't do that with NGC 300 which is 6.7 million light years away but I did complete it with its twinsie NGC 55 which is 5.17 million light years away.  The thing is in wikipedia NGC 55 is listed as being slightly further away than NGC 300, so I dont know which is correct.  In wiki NGC 300 is listed as 6.2 million light years away and NGC 55 is listed as 6.7 million light years away.  Either way these two galaxies represent the limits of what I will explore.  Got lots of stuff to find in M31 Andromeda Galaxy, M33 Triangulum Galaxy and LMC and SMC too!  Do you mostly stay in the Milky Way?
 
Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder
Posts: 603
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Location: Mississauga

Intergalactic trip in preparation

03 Sep 2021 12:50

Simple, complex — it's been a while, I thought those were the two choices.  Exotic is for places like Titan worlds.

I go here, I go there...
 
User avatar
longname
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 291
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Intergalactic trip in preparation

03 Sep 2021 13:57

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post "hyperjump" like what's mentioned in SE when warp is employed.

No, what does "would we be able to use hyperspace for communication" mean??? AFAIK you're just making up word salad now.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

03 Sep 2021 16:15

longname wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post "hyperjump" like what's mentioned in SE when warp is employed.

No, what does "would we be able to use hyperspace for communication" mean??? AFAIK you're just making up word salad now.

Nope, you're completely wrong......the concept is presented here.....I've been familiar with this since I was in middle school.
and dude I don't know why it's so difficult for you to comprehend, I'm basically asking if warp or hyperspace (if it's possible) can also be used for communication if it can one day be used for travel?  I specifically mentioned that because in Asimov's work it can be used for both.  As a scientist, he strived to make his fiction as realistic as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace
You must not be familiar with Asimov, I've read 100s of his books
In Isaac Asimov's Foundation, hyperspace is described as an "...unimaginable region that was neither space nor time, matter nor energy, something nor nothing, one could traverse the length of the Galaxy in the interval between two neighboring instants of time.
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 03 Sep 2021 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

03 Sep 2021 16:20

Mr. Abner wrote:
Simple, complex — it's been a while, I thought those were the two choices.  Exotic is for places like Titan worlds.

I go here, I go there...

Hey I see that the ship automatically takes me out of warp before I get to the target, so I don't have to slow the engines down until after it comes out of warp......basically I can leave the engines running full thrust and just adjust the warp exponent while I'm traveling between galaxies, the distances are so vast there's no reason to decelerate.

As far as life is concerned, it's just hints of it until you see these huge fields of grass, I found that pretty exciting.  No animal or moving life of any type of course.
 
A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect
Posts: 3148
Joined: 06 Mar 2017

Intergalactic trip in preparation

03 Sep 2021 18:04

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_driv ... _Discovery)

This is mind blowing....I wonder which of these warp scales SE uses?  Does it use the cubic scale?  Obviously not the asymptotic scale since starships in SE regularly reach and exceed warp 10.
 
User avatar
longname
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 291
Joined: 13 Apr 2017
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Intergalactic trip in preparation

04 Sep 2021 11:59

A-L-E-X wrote:
longname wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post "hyperjump" like what's mentioned in SE when warp is employed.

No, what does "would we be able to use hyperspace for communication" mean??? AFAIK you're just making up word salad now.

Nope, you're completely wrong......the concept is presented here.....I've been familiar with this since I was in middle school.
and dude I don't know why it's so difficult for you to comprehend, I'm basically asking if warp or hyperspace (if it's possible) can also be used for communication if it can one day be used for travel?  I specifically mentioned that because in Asimov's work it can be used for both.  As a scientist, he strived to make his fiction as realistic as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace
You must not be familiar with Asimov, I've read 100s of his books
In Isaac Asimov's Foundation, hyperspace is described as an "...unimaginable region that was neither space nor time, matter nor energy, something nor nothing, one could traverse the length of the Galaxy in the interval between two neighboring instants of time.

You're not bothering to explain what you supposedly understand. You mean send signals into a different dimension, and have it magically pop out near the destination rather than remain in hyperspace, as suggested by the red text? If so, no, because hyperspace in that sense is BS.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests