Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Intergalactic trip in preparation

25 Jul 2021 03:12

The atmospheric flight model is very rudimentary at best so far. But you can develop oscillations. Too much speed and you generate more lift, your nose goes up. When your nose goes up, you start losing speed, so your nose drops. As your nose drops, you start picking up speed again. Rinse and repeat.

Or it could have been a bug.

Your velocity vector with the Warp HUD active says 88.31 m/s. The 83km/s speed is probably the orbital speed of the planet (and hence you and your ship) relative to the SE universe that SE uses to calculate warp vectors and velocities. I pretty much stick to autopilot when it comes to warp travel.

As for the UFOs, select one of the free-flight cameras (1, 2, or 3 on the upper row) and move away from your ship, then see if you can click on them. If not, move away from the planet and try again.

They also change Autopilot functions .Prograde changes between Hor, Orb and Warp, sync velocity in Warp corrects your prograde vector, etc.
Yeah, there's that, too. ;)
Thanks, I figured out how to change the direction of the flight.  I just click the mouse on part of the surface that's in the direction I want to go and then the cursor keys move me in that direction.
Autopilot seems to be on automatically, I dont see a setting for it but I see that it is listed in green on the left, as is Kill rotation.
Is there a way to take a screenshot with all of the HUD information intact?  The program takes all the info out of the images and I am reduced to using primitive Windows screen capturing tech lol.
Free flight cameras?  I don't see these.  I just see one camera icon that says "Switch View" at the bottom there is nothing at the top of my screen.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Jul 2021 03:15

And Canleskis, sorry for hijacking your thread, perhaps a mod can break out the "flight school" posts into a different thread and keep this one on topic for intergalactic warp flights and black hole slingshots.

-Alex
(the other one)
No problem, it's always good seeing people shed some light on ships in SE! They definitely need more attention.
I love the X-Wing Cockpit!  Since it's the only star ship cockpit I've found in SE I use it for everything: interstellar, intergalactic and even planetary flight!  Is there some kind of bug with it that having building too many of them causes artifacting?  A couple of mine just have black boxes on the screen rather than the cockpit,  I even tried to "destroy" those but the "destroy" button is greyed out so I guess they just stay stuck in place.  I was able to make new ones on a different planet though.  The artifacting started when I was building different cockpits (there are two with PBR, whatever that is, but they are only shuttles and dont do warp flight) and then when I went back to building more of the starship cockpits I found that it would only give me black boxes on my screen superimposed on the old PBS cockpits I had previously made.  So I went to a different planet and I found I could build the starship cockpit there just like before.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 02:53

I also downloaded the A-Wing because with that one you actually have the ship along with the cockpit so you can switch views between the cockpit and from outside the ship.  It seems to have wider windows too!  My question is is there a way to shut off the white noise of the engines?  It obscures my customized sound track so I was hoping there was a way to toggle the sound of the engines to off.
scr02127.jpg
scr02127.jpg
Attachments
scr02125.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 05:16

For some reason it makes the first picture smaller and posts two of the second picture if I put them in the same post- weird.  Anyway I love both but this one more because of the wider cockpit view and the dual view inside the cockpit and outside the ship
scr02125.jpg
Looks like the RZ-1 A-Wing is my new go to ship!

Just need to figure out how to turn off its engine sound lol

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 08:15

I hope this isn't a trivial question, but I haven't found an answer to it within the program so here goes.  Sometimes I like to use the "free movement" version of the program from within Flight Simulator.  But I've found going to a planet is more difficult.  So, here is an example, I went to the star Betelgeuse.  I used the star system analyzer in the left panel to get an overview of its system.  I found one of its procedurally generated planets interesting (number 7 I think).  I wanted to go to the planet in free movement mode and then explore the planet surface itself in a ship (this is the reason I was using Flight Simulation mode.)  So I used Go To from the free movement menu on the lower left and it supposedly went there but unlike Planetarium mode, I could not see it anywhere on my screen, let alone centered like it is in Planetarium mode.  It also would not let me move around with the cursor keys or the number pad to get it into the field of view.  Why is this?  In Planetarium mode I like to use the cursor keys and keypad to manually select a landing location I find of interest and explore from there.  Figured I could do the same thing in Flight Simulation mode in free movement mode but apparently I cannot.  I just ended up selecting "land on surface" and the program selected the location to land in (which was apparently on the dark side).  And in this mode it takes two tries to fully be on the surface, the first try puts me well above the ground (which is fine, but I really would like the planet to be centered on my screen so I can select the landing spot or at the very least let me use the cursor keys or keypad so I can center it myself and then I wouldn't have these issues of landing on the night side.)  I guess the real issue is I dont want to use the ship to actually get to the planet, I want to build it on the surface, at a location I like, rather than one the program selects for me.
Last edited by A-L-E-X on 26 Jul 2021 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

26 Jul 2021 08:47

It obscures my customized sound track so I was hoping there was a way to toggle the sound of the engines to off.
Check the sound settings, music and sfx should have separate volume sliders.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 08:54

It obscures my customized sound track so I was hoping there was a way to toggle the sound of the engines to off.
Check the sound settings, music and sfx should have separate volume sliders.
Thanks, I have an Audigy RX 7.1 sound card (and matching 7.1 speaker set) from Creative, so I guess I have to go into their customized control panel.
Is there a way for me to center a planet on my screen in flight simulation mode without using a ship (sometimes I just want to use the search and goto functions to go to a planet manually and then build and use a ship once I land on the planet at a spot I want to chose myself, like I mentioned in the above post.)  Using goto in Flight Simulation doesn't seem to center a planet like it does in Planetarium mode nor does it let me use the cursor keys or the numeric keypad to center the planet myself.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 09:02

I was also going to ask if we can fly ships upside down Top Gun style, but I think I accidentally discovered we can do it and very close to the surface!

20210726064622_1.jpg

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

26 Jul 2021 09:45

Thanks, I have an Audigy RX 7.1 sound card (and matching 7.1 speaker set) from Creative, so I guess I have to go into their customized control panel.
What?? I said SE's sound settings, I'm not sure what compelled you to check your system settings.
Is there a way for me to center a planet on my screen in flight simulation mode without using a ship (sometimes I just want to use the search and goto functions to go to a planet manually and then build and use a ship once I land on the planet at a spot I want to chose myself, like I mentioned in the above post.)  Using goto in Flight Simulation doesn't seem to center a planet like it does in Planetarium mode nor does it let me use the cursor keys or the numeric keypad to center the planet myself.
Go into free mode.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 09:51

What?? I said SE's sound settings, I'm not sure what compelled you to check your system settings.
Go into free mode.
Oh you said Sfx and there is a thing in the Creative Sound Panel called Sfx, so I went there first.  But now I've found the slider you're talking about in SE, I had forgotten about this since I'm a set it and forget it guy lol. I have both sliders set to 100, so this must be the issue; I'll lower the effects slider.
Okay so I can go into Free Mode from within Flight Simulation mode, have the planet centered on my screen and land myself where I want on the planet, and then build the ship on the surface from that location, all without needing to use Planetarium mode first?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

26 Jul 2021 11:36

Yes, free flight mode — the 1, 2, or 3 key on the upper row of keys (not the number pad), should work the same as Planetarium mode.

Planetarium and Flight Sim mode are two completely separate modes as of 990. Where you go in one will have nothing to do with the other. They even have completely different clocks.

Careful with leaving too many ships scattered around the universe. Will put unnecessary strain on your system.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 11:46

Yes, free flight mode — the 1, 2, or 3 key on the upper row of keys (not the number pad), should work the same as Planetarium mode.

Planetarium and Flight Sim mode are two completely separate modes as of 990. Where you go in one will have nothing to do with the other. They even have completely different clocks.

Careful with leaving too many ships scattered around the universe. Will put unnecessary strain on your system.
Yes thats why I was wondering why Flight Simulation mode has less time options and it's stuck in 2518 lol.
I'm trying to go back and destroy some of the old ships, unfortunately a couple of them glitched and the destroy option for them is greyed out.  The glitch is they generated on top of other ships and now I can't delete them- so far it's only 2.
How do I know when I'm in free flight mode and is there a key combo that gets me in it quickly and back out quickly?  I ask because I can just use the lower left control panel that has a Planetarium mode like interface but the ship panel with its options could still be displayed- so obviously I'm still in ships mode when I do that.  That was when I was having the problem centering planets using goto and moving around using the cursor keys or numeric keypad.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

26 Jul 2021 12:25

Vlad seem to feel that if you have interstellar spacecraft, you are most assuredly in the future. :)

Oh, I think you asked earlier, Ctrl-F11 will make a screenshot with menus and other information included (like the one attached).

And as for the free-flight mode as per the bottom left menu:  Free flight, spaceship mode, and airplane mode are all free flight cameras (not attached to any ship) and the short cut keys for those three buttons are the 1, 2, and 3 keys (top row numbers, not num-pad).

The 4 key is the short cut for Switch view button on the ship menu bar. Unlike 9.8.0, it will do nothing unless the ship is selected (ship info shows in the info panel, top left of screen).
990-00229.jpg

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 13:52

Thanks, so I was in free flight mode then.  Here's the issue I was having.  I used Find Object from the left menu to find a star with a planetary system (Betelgeuse in the above example.)  I selected Go To from the Find Object menu to go there.  And then I used the Solar System Browser from the left menu to see its procedural planetary system and found planet number 7 of interest so I selected it and chose Go To Object from the bottom left menu to go there.  But unlike what happens in Planetarium mode, it did not center the planet in my display and did not let me use the cursor keys or the numpad to move the display around so I could center it myself.  Instead I had to use the blind "Land On Object" button from the bottom left menu to land on the planet, where the program decides where to land me, and I dont get to chose the spot myself using the cursor keys and the numpad.  Thats my basic issue.  How do I get the program to center the planet for me and let me use the cursor keys and numpad without having a ship in Flight Simulation mode (I want to build the ship once I've landed on the planet in an area of my choosing not the program's.)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jul 2021 14:20

Okay I think I've got it!  I switched to airplane mode on the lower left panel and that allowed me to land exactly where I want to, just like in Planetarium mode!  All cursor keys and numpad work just like in that mode with that setting.  I built the ship on the planet just like I wanted but now I'm trying to figure out what my speed is on this planet.  I see the grid lines for direction in Hor mode but not in Warp mode.  I'm using Warp mode because it seems to be faster, but I'm not sure what the exact speed is because there are various indicators for it.  Thanks to you, I can now send screenshots with the info display.  Here is Hor mode, what is the speed here?  Is it 1.80 m/sec?  Thats very slow, how do I increase it?
scr02179.jpg