Ultimate space simulation software

Space Nerd
Observer
Observer

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

08 Aug 2019 22:48

Actully, most marine terras with suitable pressure still have too much SO2(10^-3~10^-4 atm) 

zowmaster
Observer
Observer

31 Mar 2020 11:20

So I found like 6 (after like 3-4 hours of searching) that are all breathable under the guidelines posted in the beginning of thread, but not for long term mainly because of SO2 levels.  I'll post them in the order of habitability, in my opinion, let me know what you guys think;

RS8496-902-8-1584845-03.jpg
Probably the worst one on my list, with SO2 levels at 3E-5, which according to the beginning chart is maximum 10 minute exposure.  Also CO2 levels fairly high at basically 0.04 atm, so I don't think you would last long without protective gear on this planet (maybe 5-10 minutes?) But come on its purple!!

RS8496-930-8-13184985-224A4.jpg
Another one with SO2 at 3E-5, although CO2 levels on this planet is better than #1.  Oxygen and temperature are really good, shame about the SO2; so maybe 10 minutes on this planet without protection?

RS8496-818-8-4975859-333.jpg
Getting better, SO2 at 2E-5 and CO2 at 0.155.  Temperature and oxygen good too; according to guidelines 30 mins EEGL on this planet without protection.

RS8496-495-7-390367-1663.jpg
SO2 down to 1E-5, which bumps up the EEGL recommendation to 1 hour without protection. CO2 levels bearable at 0.023, oxygen good, cold at -14C but adaptable.

RS8496-510-6-43867-604.jpg
SO2 at 1E-5, CO2 levels at 0.021, oxygen good, a little cold at -2C but again definitely do-able.  The main feature of this planet is that its not tidally locked and has a day night cycle!  31.28 hour days and 203.6 days in year, very rare as most terra planets (at least the ones I've encountered) are tidally locked.

RS8496-930-8-5925855-154A3.jpg
Here it is, the best that I could do after 3-4 hours so far, SO2 at 1E-5, but CO2 down to 0.0087, which makes CO2 down to a workable long term level (barely I think).  Oxygen is a little low at 0.105 atm but from what I've read adaptable.  So I think you'd last a little longer than an hour, maybe a couple of hours? (according to the SO2 guidelines, is there a way to get rid of SO2 easily in the atmosphere?).

I'm going to keep looking, there must be one planet in this game/sim that humans can live long term without terraforming in any way.  I do agree that the SO2 levels do seem high (although I don't have a real life sample to compare).  Let me know what you guys think and if you've found anything better!!

Cryostratos
Observer
Observer

05 Apr 2020 06:50

Oh here are some nice ones.
scr00029.jpg
scr00027.jpg
scr00026.jpg
scr00035.jpg
Edit: Bonus blue terra
scr00037.jpg
I wanted to thank you for posting this. I am an extremely productive conworlder, designing fictional worlds down to details as a hobby. I just got 0.990 on Steam, but finding the right Earth-like planet to place a fictional world in became much harder in 0.990. I decided to go with your world from scr00027.jpg. I will be designing a lot on it now. Thanks!

Space Bepis
Observer
Observer

01 Aug 2020 12:32

While wandering the universe, I managed to find 2 planets with atmospheres that you could breathe!

The first one is RS 0-8-7510433-579-4-7-832383-20 A1. It has a really thin atmosphere, but according to the chart that was posted here a while back, you can acclimatize to 0.117 atm of oxygen. Carbon dioxide is just enough to make you feel drowsy, but it's not like the lack of oxygen would make you feel that way anyways. Sulfur dioxide is usually the problem with most atmospheres, but because this planet's atmosphere is so thin, SO2 is not really an issue. So as long as you're okay with constantly feeling light headed and having to take really deep breaths, it should be okay. Although I do thing the trace amount of carbon monoxide might be an issue.

The next one is RSC 9643-3245-3-21-0 5.1. The amount of oxygen in this moon's atmosphere is actually quite close to that of Earth's, at 0.234 atm. The amount of CO2 in the air will make you hyperventilate (0.0209 atm), but you should be able to get used to it. The amount of SO2 is just enough to be considered an OSHA violation (4.17*10e-6 atm), so I guess you cant be out there for too long. But you can be out there for maybe a few hours, and that's good enough. But again, the trace amount of CO could ruin it

Jimbo Jambo
Observer
Observer

30 Sep 2020 01:20

Something I've been finding is that some worlds are uninhabitable at the surface, but are more hospitable at higher elevations.
scr00039.jpg
This planet is unbearably hot and high-pressure at the surface, but at about 22km up, the atmosphere significantly thins out and cools down. There, at 10 atmospheres of pressure, you get an 0.32 atm partial pressure of O2, CO2 at an easy 0.01 atm, and 0.000418 atm SO2 (technically safe but pushes limit). Only problem is the temperature -- at -45c it's comparable to record colds in Siberia.

Theoretically I bet you could build floating structures on planets like these (made easier by the high air pressure), or, on more forgiving worlds, on high mountaintops.

Something else interesting about this planet and several others I've seen is the high atmospheric water content. I'm unsure exactly what that would do to a person, but I imagine most of it would precipitate out of the air at lower altitudes. Your floating city could be looking down upon a thick cloud layer -- Bespin Cloud City!

Katherine Jennings
Observer
Observer

07 Sep 2021 05:12

If you have more than about 500ppm of C02, the atmosphere will be disorienting to breathe even if you have enough oxygen. Any more than 1000ppm, and you're dead within a few hours.
I've measured CO2 in my house for a decade, and over the past month it looks like this:
x.png
The diurnal cycle mostly reflects the presence of people in the house, and by your statement we should be close to dying every night.  In fact, less than 1000 ppm is regarded as good indoor air quality.

Speaking of atmospheres, I think SE generates too few Venus-like terras, that is, planets with thick, opaque atmosphere.  But that, I suppose, is difficult to render.
What did you use for this?

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

07 Sep 2021 10:33

I used a CO2 sensor connected to a Dallas 1-wire bus. It doesn't seem to be available anymore, but there should be many such sensors out there and different ways to log to a computer.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

07 Sep 2021 22:54

I used a CO2 sensor connected to a Dallas 1-wire bus. It doesn't seem to be available anymore, but there should be many such sensors out there and different ways to log to a computer.
Interesting.....I've seen that some governments are considering using these to detect how many people are in individual habitations to see if they are breaking covid restrictions.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Sep 2021 02:22

I've seen that some governments are considering using these to detect how many people are in individual habitations to see if they are breaking covid restrictions.
CO[sub]2[/sub] levels are certainly a good indicator for the risk of transmission, but having governments monitoring private homes this way is something taken right out of the scariest dystopian fiction.

Regardless of covid I wish CO[sub]2[/sub] levels would be taken serious in schools.  In modern buildings air quality has been sacrificed for energy efficiency.  It gets pretty bad when 30 pupils are crammed into a tiny room.  And yes, it would limit the spread of airborne diseases.  As it happens, I've just had to relocate with my 13 year old daughter to our cabin whilst she's in isolation with covid and her siblings have avoided quarantine.  Source: classmate, and the virus was transmitted to the pupils at the neighbouring desks.  Delta makes up 100% of the cases here now.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

08 Sep 2021 11:48

I've seen that some governments are considering using these to detect how many people are in individual habitations to see if they are breaking covid restrictions.
CO[sub]2[/sub] levels are certainly a good indicator for the risk of transmission, but having governments monitoring private homes this way is something taken right out of the scariest dystopian fiction.

Regardless of covid I wish CO[sub]2[/sub] levels would be taken serious in schools.  In modern buildings air quality has been sacrificed for energy efficiency.  It gets pretty bad when 30 pupils are crammed into a tiny room.  And yes, it would limit the spread of airborne diseases.  As it happens, I've just had to relocate with my 13 year old daughter to our cabin whilst she's in isolation with covid and her siblings have avoided quarantine.  Source: classmate, and the virus was transmitted to the pupils at the neighbouring desks.  Delta makes up 100% of the cases here now.
You're right, that's why I mentioned it to you; government going in a scary direction with this new tech, as if the cameras installed on every block aren't bad enough.
Totally agree about schools- we have schools here which have no air conditioning.  I am sure you have heard of the recent historic flooding in the NYC area?  Broke two hourly rainfall records that have stood for over 150 years....within 11 days of each other!  Schools without air conditioning are in trouble because they promote the growth of mold and so haven't been able to open yet.  I should've posted about this extremely unusual weather here in the weather thread come to think of it.  We had over 10 inches of rain in consecutive months and a large EF3 tornado (150 mph) that was like something you would see in the middle of the country.  Over 50 people died with the latest extreme flooding event.

That is horrible, I am extremely sad to hear about your daughter :( New research seems to show the vaccines aren't effective for long with the new variant.  My contacts in healthcare have been telling me they are even getting fully vaccinated patients into their hospitals and having to intubate them.  A recent poll of scientists showed that the vast majority (90%) think this is here to stay and will not be eradicated.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1435613249572061192

notmeagain111
Observer
Observer

23 Sep 2021 16:51

Hi! Long time fan of the game, but new here in the forums. Can anyone post the link where i can find the guide for breathable atmospheres? I spent a good hour searching for earth-likes and I may have perfect candidates 

Pop Alexandra
Observer
Observer

18 Oct 2021 08:49

Hi! Long time fan of the game, but new here in the forums. Can anyone post the link where i can find the guide for breathable atmospheres? I spent a good hour searching for earth-likes and I may have perfect candidates 
I'm also interested. 
It's quite hard to find them on my own.

techman1
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 Nov 2021 08:26

I'd check them out too, but probably you have to join their discord to find one. I think it's the best option right now...

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

09 Jan 2022 20:59

As for planets with breathable atmospheres do you think you could list out the parameters I should look for in planets with breathable atmospheres? Like what percentages and PPM I should find, and also avoid? I know SO2 is dangerous so it should be as little as possible. 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

10 Jan 2022 02:50

As for planets with breathable atmospheres do you think you could list out the parameters I should look for in planets with breathable atmospheres? Like what percentages and PPM I should find, and also avoid? I know SO2 is dangerous so it should be as little as possible. 
Check here on the first page. I haven't updated it since then, but should still be useful.