Ultimate space simulation software

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

25 Nov 2018 01:03

I kind of question why anyone would want to live in a cloud city on Venus, to be honest.  The typically described range of altitudes for having them lies within layers of haze, so there would not be much to look at.  I feel the novelty would wear off pretty fast.

We also already have cloud cities, at least sometimes, on Earth.  Not floating, though. :)
Thats beautiful Wat!  Before I looked at the link I thought you were referring to smog that we find in big cities, not buildings rising over the fog layer- so my comment below applies to my experiences in large polluted smog laden cities:
haha you reminded me why I hate overcrowded and polluted dense cities and how much of a problem for health and the environment earth's overpopulation of humans really is.

My health and stress levels improved about a million times when I moved from LA to Flagstaff (when I used to live on the west coast about a decade ago.)  And the light pollution was gone too!

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

25 Nov 2018 01:27

It's also very possible you could catch a nasty poop bug and die, cooped up in a sardine can.

Five strains of Enterobacter are floating around the ISS right now. Most likely culprits are the toilet and exercise area. 80% likely to cause disease to any of the astronauts.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/23/internati ... ious-bugs/
Wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day when "Space Diarrhea" could be a real condition. Ughh, I imagine in zero-g it would be nightmarish...  :shock:. Thank god vacuum-tube toilets are a thing.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Nov 2018 01:55

It's also very possible you could catch a nasty poop bug and die, cooped up in a sardine can.

Five strains of Enterobacter are floating around the ISS right now. Most likely culprits are the toilet and exercise area. 80% likely to cause disease to any of the astronauts.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/23/internati ... ious-bugs/
Wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day when "Space Diarrhea" could be a real condition. Ughh, I imagine in zero-g it would be nightmarish...  :shock:. Thank god vacuum-tube toilets are a thing.
This might also be worrying, but I had read awhile back that bacteria under 0g conditions are particularly vicious (or antibiotics much less effective- which they are becoming on earth anyway, which is why immunotherapy is being developed.)

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

26 Nov 2018 01:56

This might also be worrying...
The general media has hyped these findings as they usually do. The thinly-veiled theme here is that this is the beginning of an "Andromeda Strain" in the making. Whilst the rapid mutation of viruses IS a well-documented and valid potential danger, it has no real impact for us Earthlings because those viruses are dependent on the ISS environment for their newfound power. The real concern here is that these superstrains can affect the astronauts to a greater degree then if they were on Earth because they have a weaker immune system due to prolonged exposure to zero-g conditions and a completely sterile environment (relatively). This means what few bacteria or viruses DO make it through the cleaning processes have an edge since the astronaut's bodies can't fight the attack properly.  
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Nov 2018 02:11

This might also be worrying...
The general media has hyped these findings as they usually do. The thinly-veiled theme here is that this is the beginning of an "Andromeda Strain" in the making. Whilst the rapid mutation of viruses IS a well-documented and valid potential danger, it has no real impact for us Earthlings because those viruses are dependent on the ISS environment for their newfound power. The real concern here is that these superstrains can affect the astronauts to a greater degree then if they were on Earth because they have a weaker immune system due to prolonged exposure to zero-g conditions and a completely sterile environment (relatively). This means what few bacteria or viruses DO make it through the cleaning processes have an edge since the astronaut's bodies can't fight the attack properly.  
Well here on Earth, we also have huge problems with antibiotic resistant strains and there is a strong and vital movement to use less antibiotics and to eliminate them from animal feed (I only consume antibiotic-free meat.)  Both of my parents eventually passed away from resistant infections they caught while they were hospitalized for other reasons (my mom had lupus and my dad had internal bleeding which no one could ever explain.)  They both caught staph infections in hospitals, weird thing was, my mom's was in 1990 and my dad's in 2014.  It's a problem that still hasn't been properly addressed in hospitals.  And now we have skin-eating bacterial infections that seem to be on the rise also (as well a brain parasitic amoeba.)

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

12 Jun 2019 23:05

Any chance of reviving this thread with the new version out?

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

13 Jun 2019 05:52

Not sure if it is needed with how common breathable atmospheres are now.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

13 Jun 2019 07:52

Not sure if it is needed with how common breathable atmospheres are now.
I don't think they are that common, haven't found one yet after searching exclusively for them for a few hours. Either O2 levels aren't right or there is too much CO2. So I think this topic is more relevant then ever, since it looks like it's more likely to find THE one in this new version.

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

13 Jun 2019 16:21

I have found plenty.  Most living terra's have breathable atmospheres given the pressure is low enough.  Here is one.
RS 3364-1826-7-1064983-1045 5

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

13 Jun 2019 16:59

Does this level of H20 keeps the atmosphere breathable? What about CO2? Isn't it quite high? I haven't followed everything said in this topic about this subject but I am a little skeptical about being able to breathe on this planet. Could be wrong though, I don't have enough knowledge to tell.

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

13 Jun 2019 22:23

H2O is inert and breathable and doesn't matter so long as there is O2 present and CO2 as far as I remember can get up to .02Atm before you notice it.  That planet has .005885Atm of CO2 so it is fine.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

13 Jun 2019 23:17

Atmospheric water vapor is only dangerous in high quantities and in a very warm environment - when so much much of it condenses in the lungs that you can actually drown in it. But it requires very high concentrations and temperatures for that happen.

Also, there are many breathable atmospheres on the planets of SE 0990. It just takes some work with the search filters to find them. 
Futurum Fusionem

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 Jun 2019 05:51

Thanks for your clear explanations, happy to see that we now have breathable atmospheres in SE then. 

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

15 Jun 2019 23:57

I found it.
Attachments
scr00028.jpg
scr00029.jpg

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

16 Jun 2019 02:30

JKerman, looks good to me!  Nice find. :)