scr00079.jpg
scr00080.jpg
scr00081.jpg

Lyra
Observer
Observer

Strange sightings

02 Aug 2021 01:51

The texturing of this terrain seems quite wierd.
Attachments
scr00069.jpg

Katherine Jennings
Observer
Observer

Strange sightings

07 Sep 2021 09:41

"Do not look like anything": strange objects found in space
Astronomers discovered strange spherical objects during observations with the Australian radio telescope ASKAP. They look like bubbles or rings, but they don't belong to any of the known object classes.
They were first seen during the 2019 Evolutionary Map of the Universe survey using the Australian Square Kilometer Array Pathfinder (ASKAP) radio interferometer, one of the world's most sensitive radio telescopes.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Strange sightings

25 Nov 2021 14:47

I found an active volcano with a snowcap on it. Not sure if this is normal or not but I've never seen it before

Version 0.990, RS 8496-2265-7-1556412-527 2. There's a lot of other capped volcanoes on the planet but none of them have lava as far as I can tell
Here's another example of snow-covered lava.
Standing on top of snow-covered lava.
The transition between snow-covered and regular lava.

Thiguih
Observer
Observer

Strange sightings

27 Jan 2022 15:09

Eu meu amigo estava viajando entre várias galáxias e encontramos o que parece ser uma anã branca??? com vários anéis brilhantes
Attachments
unknown.png
scr00021.jpg
scr00022.jpg
scr00023.jpg

Thiguih
Observer
Observer

Strange sightings

27 Jan 2022 15:12

Eu meu amigo estava viajando entre várias galáxias e encontramos o que parece ser uma anã branca??? com vários anéis brilhantes
I my friend were traveling between several galaxies and we found what appears to be a white dwarf??? with several shiny rings 

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Strange sightings

03 Feb 2022 04:01

"Do not look like anything": strange objects found in space
Astronomers discovered strange spherical objects during observations with the Australian radio telescope ASKAP. They look like bubbles or rings, but they don't belong to any of the known object classes.
They were first seen during the 2019 Evolutionary Map of the Universe survey using the Australian Square Kilometer Array Pathfinder (ASKAP) radio interferometer, one of the world's most sensitive radio telescopes.
wow any updates on what these might be?

Jimbo Jambo
Observer
Observer

Strange sightings

07 Mar 2022 16:46

I've found a few planets with virtually no atmosphere that sport complex terrestrial life. I might have speculated that the life existed in gas-filled subterranean caves, but planets 2 and 3 have grass on their surface.
Attachments
airless_life_1.jpg
airless_life_2.jpg
airless_life_3.jpg

BigBallinCrackerAss
Observer
Observer

High Concentration of Asteroids Surrounding Star

05 Jan 2023 17:09

So I'm pretty new to Space Engine, trying to tweak the settings to prevent GPU crashes still, but alas I'm absolutely LOVING this program. So, I'm sure I'm not alone in that I find the challenge of searching new galaxies I happen upon for their central SMBH, and much to my surprise have found that I'm actually pretty good at it. Trust me, I am fully cognizant that being good at finding these black holes in Space Engine is analogous to some 13 year old claiming to be a skilled combat operator because of his experiences playing Modern Warfare. Trust me, I'm not trying to say I should be getting paid by NASA for my Space Engine skills.

Anyway, today I happened upon a rather large elliptical galaxy some 7.66 million LYs from Earth, and decided to find it's center. As I was sweeping around what I felt was the center, which I determine by spinning in 360 degree turns and judging the consistency of the galactic cloud in every direction, I saw what had been the tell-tale indication of the SMBH, that being an unusually highly concentration of stellar bodies which stands out from the surrounding material. However, as is sometimes the case when exploring galaxies that far out from Earth, it didn't matter how close I moved towards the potential grouping I couldn't get the program to let me select on the central body which is where I normally would find the SMBH. In the past, I would simply keep moving forward and would eventually get close enough to see the accretion disk and/or billowing jets of dust on either side, despite the program simply identifying the artifact as the galaxy, and not the SMBH.

However, this didn't happen this time. Instead, much to my surprise, the program finally selected what looked like the center area of a SMBH's billowing jets of dust, but turned out to be a run of the mill yellow giant star. What I had thought were dust jets were actually hundreds of asteroids surrounding the star in a concentration I had not seen in the program before this. When I enabled the orbits indicators I was surprised to also find I believe 7 exoplanets in what ended up being a massive stellar system. I'm curious if this is simply an artifact of the Space Engine procedural object engine, or if this reflects a known star system condition which is being studied. Here's the deets and a screenshot, any feedback or comments would be great, thanks in advance!
  • Star: RS 7652-448-2-0-766
  • Mass: 7.66 Solar M
  • Planets: 7 (I think)
  • Furthest Planetary Orbit:  265 AU
  • Furthest Asteroid Orbit: 565 AU
  • Distance From Terra: 326.1 Million Light Years
Attachments
RS 7652-448-2-0-766 From 60 LY Low Rez.jpg
Taken with cell phone because computer is barely holding it together when SE running!!!!

BigBallinCrackerAss
Observer
Observer

Re: Strange sightings

05 Jan 2023 17:13

Just one addition (can't figure out how to edit my own post). The galaxy designation this star is located within is: IC 3008/ MCG 2-31-31

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Re: High Concentration of Asteroids Surrounding Star

05 Jan 2023 17:57

In SpaceEngine version 0.990.45.1940 without addons that star doesn't exist because the galaxy you mentioned has a different number. In fact there is a system RS 7651-448-2-0-766. If you do have the same SE version, it probably means that you have some addon that changes the number of galaxies. There is a black hole about a thousand ly from there, that's where the galaxy center should be located (reaching the center of such objects is easy with ctrl+G). Given the number change, in your SE version the name could be RSC 7652-299-0-0-0 S*.

You'll be able to edit your messages after you reach 10 posts.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

BigBallinCrackerAss
Observer
Observer

05 Jan 2023 21:13

In SpaceEngine version 0.990.45.1940 without addons that star doesn't exist because the galaxy you mentioned has a different number. In fact there is a system RS 7651-448-2-0-766. If you do have the same SE version, it probably means that you have some addon that changes the number of galaxies. There is a black hole about a thousand ly from there, that's where the galaxy center should be located (reaching the center of such objects is easy with ctrl+G). Given the number change, in your SE version the name could be RSC 7652-299-0-0-0 S*.

Awesome! Thank you for the knowledge. So when I booted SE the launch splash indicated that I am running 0.990.45.1940 Beta. Not sure when I selected the beta version, as I'm far more interested in stability over pre-launch features. As far as add-ons, that's a good question. When I initially downloaded the SE program, I was given an article by the Google Gods which recommended which add-ons were the most worthwhile for those just getting started like I was. 

That said, I remember downloading the add-on files, but I remember thinking that I felt there should have been another step. Suffice to say, I don't know if the add-ons I downloaded were incorporated in the SE program files. One of the add-ons instructed that I clear some cache file, but it was scant on details, so I just let it be. 

I know that something called ReShape (or something) was downloaded and is running for two reasons. First is a upper banner which appears for a few moments after SE launches, and second because once I did that the time required to boot increased at least 5 fold. Is there a way to determine which add-ons have been downloaded and which are actually running? I couldn't find anything in the Settings section.

Also, when you say "that galaxy has a different number", what did you mean? There have been a few stellar objects I've read about in the astrophysics media over the last couple years and realized pretty quickly that for everything cataloged designated object, there are a half dozen additional designations which may or may not be how it's listed in the SE catalog databases. This isn't a complaint or gripe, I actually enjoy the investigative process involved, and have steepened my learning curve as a result. I'm just curious if that was what you meant by "different number". I assumed that if I selected a stellar object in SE and it displayed a catalog designation of any sort, that it was the SE's render engine's best interpretation of that object based on the known characteristics. Is that a flawed assumption?

I should also note that my additional note identifying the galaxy was found after rebooting SE and quickly scanning through the Journey Log, and while I was pretty confident that it looked like what I thought I remembered being where that star was located, it wouldn't be the first time, or the last, I should have looked closer.

Thanks again! 

BigBallinCrackerAss
Observer
Observer

05 Jan 2023 21:16

YUP, I should have listed the galaxy as NGC 7793

Lesson learned

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

06 Jan 2023 06:51

Sorry, I inadvertently caused possible confusion. When you visit a galaxy, be it a random procedurally generated or one from an existing catalog, procedural stars inside it have a name that is a positional identifier used internally by the program. For your star, RS (random star) 7652 (galaxy number) 448 (galactic sector number) 2 (octree level) 0 (octree block number) 766 (star number in block)
You'll find also RG (random galaxy), RN (random nebula), RSC (random star in a cluster), all of them fictional objects.

As for active addons, they are possibly listed in a log file named se.log that you can find in your SpaceEngine \system\ subfolder, if you upload it here we can see what you have
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Kai.zeyeq
Observer
Observer

17 Feb 2023 08:53

I dont know if im doing this right first time posting but i found a mini galaxy on top of another one pretty cool if you ask me
Attachments
cool.png