Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Giant-terra-giant-terra and a cool story

03 Dec 2021 05:25

Initially I registered here for only one question. It was here:
https://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic ... 790#p37790
I wanted to know about "forester" systems in SE. A year ago there was a blogpost
http://spaceengine.org/news/blog201113
which said that "Fixed giant-terra-giant-terra meander sequence in procedural planetary systems," but there was no explanation of what does it mean. Should they no longer exist in SE or became somehow better.
Nobody noticed the question, it was totally ignored. After 2 months I wrote the developer in PM with it.
He answered:

Current SE version have a strange behaviur of procedural planet generator which very often creates systems which looks like terra - giant - terra - giant - terra - giant. This is not realistic obviuosly, in the 0.991 branch I fixed this by tweaking the procedural generator. This does not mean that such systems will not be generated anymore, just that their probability will be much lower than now (much lower than 90% lol).

So he said such systems are now rare.
But this is not the solution because actually there can be no such systems at all. I wrote one more PM but it was never read because developer does not develop anymore and does not visit the forum. So I will just leave it here for the others:
Let's recall Phaeton - it simply could not form due to the gravitational influence of Jupiter. A nearby giant does not allow a small planet to form or survive. And SE generator shows a picture of when such a planet can form between two Jupiters. And this happens 3-5 times in one system. This is totally impossible. There can be no giant-terra-giant-terra, can be only giant-belt-giant-belt instead.
Attachments
scr0000244.jpg
scr0000245.jpg
scr0000246.jpg

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

03 Dec 2021 09:52

You don't think these are capable of existing in a moment of time as a transitional phase?

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

03 Dec 2021 12:51

Nope. Those systems aint new, they are billions years old. Also you can't even catch such lucky transition phase, a giant doesn't even let a rocky planet to form nearby. Two giants especially.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

03 Dec 2021 19:08

In those pics you posted above, are those graphics showing the actual relationships of the orbital radii of the planets, or all just crammed in to fit the space?

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

04 Dec 2021 03:15

This is a usual chart mode from SE. There is a button for this. Strange you don't know.

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

04 Dec 2021 11:24

This is a usual chart mode from SE. There is a button for this. Strange you don't know.
I do know about this feature, it's just something I never use. Now, how about you actually answer my question? Are the distances between planets in that mode to scale or not?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

04 Dec 2021 23:44

I do know about this feature, it's just something I never use. Now, how about you actually answer my question? Are the distances between planets in that mode to scale or not?
I can answer this since I used this by accident when I was trying to get to the regular mode where you see the planets in the top panel.  They seem to be to scale from what I can tell, I just find this mode annoying because there is lag in showing the display and lag again in going back to regular mode.

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

05 Dec 2021 06:53

Now, how about you actually answer my question? Are the distances between planets in that mode to scale or not?
Now, how about you go to the game and check it?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

05 Dec 2021 12:22

Okay, sorry I tried to help. Have fun with your quest.

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

05 Dec 2021 18:13

You can't help here. None can.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

05 Dec 2021 23:45

So the purpose of the thread is not to even try to have a productive conversation? In that case, the thread is closed.

Sometimes questions may not get answered because readers might not have comfortable knowledge of it and don't want to give an incorrect answer. The developer himself doesn't have the time to read everything here. But what I'm seeing is consistent with what the developer told you through PM, along with his explanation that he wasn't eliminating the chance that they can generate entirely. The idea that you can't have a giant-terra-giant sequence is an oversimplification. The physics involves distances and orbital resonances, and combined with migration, it doesn't necessarily always work out to having a belt instead of a terra in the next orbit to a giant.