How rings became WORSE

30 Nov 2021 06:01

SpaceEngine 0.98:
scr00001.jpg

scr00002.jpg
SpaceEngine 0.990.43.1865:
scr00003.jpg

scr00004.jpg
Yes, we got that raymarching cloned glitchy-looking rocks inside the rings but was necessary to remove this interesting windy-dusty texture?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

How rings became WORSE

30 Nov 2021 08:24

Apparently. But they also stressed several times that the work for new rings is not completed at all.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

How rings became WORSE

30 Nov 2021 10:00

Aha. Many things are. Developer doesn't even visit the forum anymore, he appears once in several months now.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

How rings became WORSE

01 Dec 2021 21:34

I think the distance from the rings where you would see the noisy texture in previous versions is now about the same distance where you start seeing ring particles in build 1865.

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 04:52

No no no, this is not how it works. I remember that old blogpost where this windy texture was introduced and it said this corresponds to reality. In reality, when approaching the rings, we will first see this texture, and later - the particles themselves. Here is a real astrophoto on which the texture is visible, but the particles are still far away.
Attachments
62478main_Saturns_rings_up_close.jpg
62478main_Saturns_rings_up_close.jpg (85.13 KiB) Viewed 2768 times

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 09:38

Yes, the texture is realistic, at least for some parts of the rings:

Close Views Show Saturn's Rings in Unprecedented Detail | NASA

Ring systems -- especially Saturn's -- are complicated. The texture is not the same everywhere, as it depends on things like particle size, density, and perturbations from moons. I'd like to see the texture brought back in the future, too, but better showing those variations. There are also many other complexities of ring systems in nature that are important. Adding the particles and the effects of light scattering through the rings were big steps in the right direction. 

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 09:59

I wonder, we only know about rings around gas giants, and there are so many fine rings, i.e. dust with very uniform orbits.  But gas giants are themselves uniform with uniform surface gravity and a simple geoid.  What about rings around rocky planets with a complex geoid?  Would the rings be quite different with more large scale texture?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 10:15

If it was complex geoid then rings wouldn't exist long. They need gravity to be stable, otherwise they will just fall. 

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 10:34

If it was complex geoid then rings wouldn't exist long.
Well, that also would count as "quite different".  But it might not be completely binary, not either smooth rings or none.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 11:05

I didn't understand what you say, but Luna is a complex geoid and thus it has gravity anomalies. Because of that no satellite can hold on its orbit for long. Same would happen to rings. We are not even talking about thousands of years. They would fall off very quick, like several years.
If you want some different rings - Uranus and Neptune have them.
Last edited by Arigato on 03 Dec 2021 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

How rings became WORSE

02 Dec 2021 13:13

What I'm saying is that there must be planets between gas giants and planets that wont have stable rings, and what would rings around those look like?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

How rings became WORSE

03 Dec 2021 00:39

Yes, the texture is realistic, at least for some parts of the rings:

Close Views Show Saturn's Rings in Unprecedented Detail | NASA

Ring systems -- especially Saturn's -- are complicated. The texture is not the same everywhere, as it depends on things like particle size, density, and perturbations from moons. I'd like to see the texture brought back in the future, too, but better showing those variations. There are also many other complexities of ring systems in nature that are important. Adding the particles and the effects of light scattering through the rings were big steps in the right direction. 
Good news is that Earth will be getting its own set of rings in the future, but they will be made of space junk :)  Isn't that perfectly symbolic of humanity lol? I wonder if space junk rings can ever be as spectacular as what Saturn naturally has?
Also, as far as you know, are Saturn's rings unique or do we have an exoplanetary example of something even more complex and spectacular?

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

How rings became WORSE

03 Dec 2021 00:42

I wonder, we only know about rings around gas giants, and there are so many fine rings, i.e. dust with very uniform orbits.  But gas giants are themselves uniform with uniform surface gravity and a simple geoid.  What about rings around rocky planets with a complex geoid?  Would the rings be quite different with more large scale texture?
I wonder about this too, there are actually rings around some rocky planets in SE....I believe Tau Ceti has a spectacular planet like that.  We need to separate the kind of rings Saturn has vs what the other gas giants have, because Saturn belongs in a class by itself.  Still, I wonder if there is an exoplanet somewhere that has even more spectacular rings.....I remember reading about this awhile back but don't remember what planet it was.

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

How rings became WORSE

03 Dec 2021 04:45

What I'm saying is that there must be planets between gas giants and planets that wont have stable rings, and what would rings around those look like?
There are planets between gas and rocky but you can't have smth in between having or not having rings. They either exist or not. 

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

How rings became WORSE

03 Dec 2021 04:53

"I wonder if space junk rings can ever be as spectacular as what Saturn naturally has"
You need a supercivilization to do this. But supercivilization can clean its own mess.

"do we have an exoplanetary example of something even more complex and spectacular?"
Planet J1407b has HUGE rings. But some say this is more like proto disk of a red dwarf.

"We need to separate the kind of rings Saturn has vs what the other gas giants have"
Do we?

"because Saturn belongs in a class by itself"
Does it?