Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Black Hole Interiors

30 Jun 2021 11:27

If Space Engine calculated the appearance of its black holes with the observer travelling at the same speed as the infalling spacetime rather than from a stationary (relative to nearby stars; the view of the Universe concentrates above the black hole in current versions of SE due to the camera travelling quickly away from the hole causing relativistic aberration) perspective (and increased the mass of ships approaching c rather than capping speed at c so as to make flight around and inside somewhat more accurate) then it would allow the camera to pass the event horizon, and also help SpaceEngine thwart the misconception that the interior of black holes is completely black.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Black Hole Interiors

30 Jun 2021 13:09

I'd like to see theoretical modeling of Kerr black holes with both the event horizon and the cauchy horizon too.  I guess we can leave it to the imagination about what lies beyond that second horizon ;)

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Black Hole Interiors

30 Jun 2021 17:21

I guess we can leave it to the imagination about what lies beyond that second horizon
Well, actually, we don't.

Episode of PBS Spacetime that goes on a journey through a Kerr black hole, its ringularity and back through while showing the journey on a Penrose diagram.

http://www.madore.org/~david/math/kerr.html#videos

Simulations of various geodesics going through a Kerr black hole

https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/rn.html

A photorealistic simulation of a Reissner-Nordstrom black hole. Same structure, charge instead of centrifugal force spits observer back out. Here, you can get a feel for what the grids in the Kerr simulation are trying to show.

David Madore's program in the second link is very hard to use. The kerr-image program has to be recompiled to change the resolution of the output, and it cannot make videos and geodesics on its own. A different program has to be used to calculate the geodesics and the file output has to be split and fed into the program. Frames bigger than 50x50, like 1920x1080, take a while to render and a minute video would take days to render.

Andrew Hamilton's BHFS was used to create the Reissner-Nordstrom black hole simulation, and it should run real-time (or close enough) on modern systems. However, the graphical libraries the BHFS runs on have been abandonware for a while and Hamilton is unable to make the BHFS public. They explain that CU students have been unwilling to port the BHFS to newer libs, which is understandable:

The BHFS is a complex code, with more than 100,000 lines of c and c++

These programs let you fly around a schwarzschild black hole, but the programs are limited in their capabilities:

https://ebvalaim.pl/en/black-hole-simulator/
http://spiro.fisica.unipd.it/~antonell/ ... hild/live/

It would be very cool if SE could become the first full-scale public project to simulate relativity and geodesics within black holes - and in real time.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Black Hole Interiors

01 Jul 2021 03:09

I guess we can leave it to the imagination about what lies beyond that second horizon
Well, actually, we don't.

Episode of PBS Spacetime that goes on a journey through a Kerr black hole, its ringularity and back through while showing the journey on a Penrose diagram.

http://www.madore.org/~david/math/kerr.html#videos

Simulations of various geodesics going through a Kerr black hole

https://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/rn.html

A photorealistic simulation of a Reissner-Nordstrom black hole. Same structure, charge instead of centrifugal force spits observer back out. Here, you can get a feel for what the grids in the Kerr simulation are trying to show.

David Madore's program in the second link is very hard to use. The kerr-image program has to be recompiled to change the resolution of the output, and it cannot make videos and geodesics on its own. A different program has to be used to calculate the geodesics and the file output has to be split and fed into the program. Frames bigger than 50x50, like 1920x1080, take a while to render and a minute video would take days to render.

Andrew Hamilton's BHFS was used to create the Reissner-Nordstrom black hole simulation, and it should run real-time (or close enough) on modern systems. However, the graphical libraries the BHFS runs on have been abandonware for a while and Hamilton is unable to make the BHFS public. They explain that CU students have been unwilling to port the BHFS to newer libs, which is understandable:

The BHFS is a complex code, with more than 100,000 lines of c and c++

These programs let you fly around a schwarzschild black hole, but the programs are limited in their capabilities:

https://ebvalaim.pl/en/black-hole-simulator/
http://spiro.fisica.unipd.it/~antonell/ ... hild/live/

It would be very cool if SE could become the first full-scale public project to simulate relativity and geodesics within black holes - and in real time.
Wow, this is fantastic!  Do you think we could have 3D simulations comparable to this in Space Engine, let's say within the next couple of years?  I love the way the Penrose diagrams have been translated into videos.  Looks like they'll require a lot of computational power though, I wonder what the minimal requirements would be?  Right now I have an 8 core / 16 thread processor (I can upgrade to 16 core / 32 thread though), 32 GB of RAM (I can upgrade to 64 GB) and a 6 GB video card (I can upgrade this to whatever is necessary I think, I have PCIE 4.0)

PS- I like the portmanteau, "ringularity", I haven't seen that term before!

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

Black Hole Interiors

01 Jul 2021 14:09

Kerr black holes in SE, work in progress:
scr00783.jpg
scr00784.jpg

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Black Hole Interiors

01 Jul 2021 17:28

Kerr black holes in SE, work in progress:

scr00783.jpg
scr00784.jpg
Feel free to post more! Maybe you could show one with the new grids enabled ;)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Black Hole Interiors

02 Jul 2021 06:31

Wow, I love the work in progress!  Vladimir, I assume this is something that is still 1-2 years away?  Or maybe sooner than 1 year?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Black Hole Interiors

03 Jul 2021 17:44

Maybe you could show one with the new grids enabled
Currently doesn't support the geographic grid, system needs to be adjusted to this shader.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Black Hole Interiors

09 Jul 2021 06:08

SpaceEngineer, SE calculates black holes from a stationary vantage point as I've said before. What are you going to do with the ergosphere, where you'd have to go FTL to remain stationary relative to distant stars? I'm not confident in the realism of the current black hole shaders, let alone Kerr black holes. Even outside (but very close to) the Ergosphere, relativistic beaming would have to be simulated to maintain the mathematical realism SE strides for.