Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

How would Space Engine look if everything was ray traced?

23 May 2020 17:13

Title says it all
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Theloic971
Astronaut
Astronaut

25 May 2020 22:44

Minecraft with the SEUS PTGI E12 and a lot of graphic improvements (that was a joke)

In truth, I think there would be much more consequences in terms of light management in theory.
Do you want to archive your discoveries in Space Engine ? Use my new website : https://se-archive-project.net/

onyxlee
Observer
Observer

04 Mar 2022 17:48

I think it wouldn't change much, unless you are looking at moons or astroids lit up by their parent planets. In any other situation, the bounce of light disappears too quickly on the scale of SE. Actually, it's quite easy to fake this light bounce on those objects near the planets. Just increase the ambient light.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Re: How would Space Engine look if everything was ray traced?

17 Mar 2022 07:23

Stars are planned to be rendered in ray tracing, everything in ray tracing it's probably impossible... To use Nvidia's RTX you probably need to have that decided in the beginning, I think now it's too late :)

How would it look? Very similar to what it is now... but with natural shadows and reflections, I think SE is already very realistic as rendering so that would be the only difference you would notice.

How will it perform? VERY BAD. Space Engine is already very heavy on our computers and the only thought RTX could be implemented would make the whole of our GPUs have an heart attack!
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Perseverance
Observer
Observer

21 Mar 2022 06:52

There is a vid about it. People are given some games with and without raytracing and in half cases they can't really tell if it's on or off. So this is just 50/50, people literally don't know the difference. Raytracing is not the only or the main post-effect in gamedev, there are much more valuable ones.

[youtube]2VGwHoSrIEU[/youtube]
Last edited by Perseverance on 02 Apr 2022 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Perseverance
Observer
Observer

21 Mar 2022 06:55

Also you can watch comparison on Cyberpunk example. RTX doesn't really mean anything, I only noticed one and only difference with reflection on window.

So for Space Engine it would be pretty much a waste of resources for nothing.
Last edited by Perseverance on 02 Apr 2022 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

30 Mar 2022 19:23

Perseverance, that says nothing about what SE with ray tracing would look like. As with any graphical technique, it all depends on how it's used. In some games, it is implemented in a way that is almost unnoticeable. In others, it completely transforms how the game looks. It all depends on how it's used.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

31 Mar 2022 17:07

Perseverance

Ray tracing is not a post effect, it is an in scene rendering technique.  Your examples are based on hybridized rendering utilizing different forms of ray tracing on top of an engine built for rasterization.

If you really want to get into what ray tracing is or how it functions or how it can be optimized and utilized in engines that is a much more in depth discussion, however given your very minimal understanding on rendering I recommend a couple videos to give you some introductory idea on the differences that ray tracing offers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Perseverance
Observer
Observer

02 Apr 2022 17:25

Ok, you say ray tracing is a very good thing. Then why it is not implemented yet? Why not hire a team who could do that? One more example of a good talk instead of making things.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

03 Apr 2022 11:05

Ok, you say ray tracing is a very good thing. Then why it is not implemented yet? Why not hire a team who could do that? One more example of a good talk instead of making things.
You sweet summer child. Clearly you've never tried directing a large project before, let alone a large project that costs money to develop. Also worth noting that hiring a team costs money as well. God forbid a team of people helps you develop something and expects to be paid in return.

Perseverance
Observer
Observer

03 Apr 2022 12:30

Don't speak to me like you know who I am and what I did or did not. You know nothing. I stand for my words and all those plans were realizable in good hands. However I already seen a promise that in several days we gonna have a new blogpost. Lets hope for the best.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

03 Apr 2022 13:46

We gave you plenty of space to freely express yourselves, but it's time to enforce forum rules. I hope to read nothing but polite words from now on.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

04 Apr 2022 15:31

Don't speak to me like you know who I am and what I did or did not. You know nothing. I stand for my words and all those plans were realizable in good hands. However I already seen a promise that in several days we gonna have a new blogpost. Lets hope for the best.
SpaceEngine was created by one developer that is now caught in a war that may tear the countries of Europe apart, and now the dev team is trying its best to keep SpaceEngine running while Vladimir is sorting their own situation out. If you'd bother keeping your eyes open, you'd see that the SpaceEngine team is doing a mighty fine job of running smoothly while war ravages Vlad's home country. Doc recently posted experimental raytraced shaders for the Kerr and Alcubierre metrics to the SpaceEngine server (rotating black holes with WIP interior simulation and alcubierre bubble that shows FTL mirage in front of craft), and now functional wormholes are already in the works and partially implemented in experimental versions.

All of this should be reasons not to be incredibly picky over a simple game not getting updated.

Perseverance
Observer
Observer

04 Apr 2022 18:44

I hope to read nothing but polite words from now on.
Or what? Ban me for telling the truth? How many members are left on this forum? A few years ago there were hundreds of them, and now I see that about 10 people communicate here, but the number of moderators is growing and growing - all the last loyal participants have been recruited. SE is a scam, it's a fraud! This is unrealizable utopian project that has been in beta for 10 years and will never come out of it. This whole forum is a small fascist Russia, you have a leader who made promises but instead he simply took money and shuts up mouths, and his slaves listen to him, justify and serve him like dogs. Come to your senses. You have bowed to a swindler. Well, now you can ban me. What a pity I will never be able to register here again.

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Apr 2022 00:59

SE is a scam, it's a fraud! This is unrealizable utopian project that has been in beta for 10 years and will never come out of it.
I've enjoyed SE for these 10 years despite some slight flaws and shortcomings.  It could have been named version 1 ten years ago, and it would have been equally enjoyable.  I have a 16 year old son who grew up with this software, and it's taught him more about the universe than any textbook possibly could.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI