Ultimate space simulation software

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

New Members Introduction Thread

19 Mar 2020 18:46

IWillhelm, hi.
While I personally find SpaceEngine very interesting for its goal of going to be as much as realistic as possible, and it's been used in some ESO videos, right now the universe depicted by the engine is static, galaxies don't move, and speaking of standard candles, variable stars are not implemented yet. I mean catalog stars are there, but there's no specific mechanics involving those objects yet. This page http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=72 is not up-to-date but variable stars are in the list.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

ironmathyu5
Observer
Observer

16 Apr 2020 09:31

I'm new to this community, and only just installed space engine, but It seems that pretty much every screenshot involves the use of graphical mods. What are some of the best/most common mods for Space Engine, what would you recommend, and how beefy a computer will I need? Thanks!
https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/comments/4bobv7/essential_mods_for_space_engine/

https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/comments/5viv97/beginners_guide_to_mods/

ironmathyu5
Observer
Observer

16 Apr 2020 09:34

I'm new to this community, and only just installed space engine, but It seems that pretty much every screenshot involves the use of graphical mods. What are some of the best/most common mods for Space Engine, what would you recommend, and how beefy a computer will I need? Thanks!

thorcaption5
Observer
Observer

17 Apr 2020 21:58

I’ve noticed when I look at the physical properties of Venus, it states that one Venusian Solar Day is 8.161 years long!!! Given Venus’s 243.018 day retrograde rotation and 224.697 day orbital period, a Solar Day on Venus should be approximately 116.75 Earth days. Is this a bug, or a genuine mistake on behalf of the developers? Just thought I’d bring it up
https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/comments/g0ktzn/venus_solar_day/

warmachine2
Observer
Observer

18 Apr 2020 00:13

I've been considering biting the bullet and getting 0.990, mostly for the updated catalogues but also because I've used 0.980 enough that I feel I should toss Romanyuk some cash.
But my graphics card is kinda ancient and seems to be barely better than the absolute minimum system requirements for 0.990 on steam.
I can run 0.980 just fine with decent graphics settings; does anyone know if 0.990 will look mostly the same?

EQUINOXKW
Observer
Observer

18 May 2020 22:24

Hello Space, hello Community! :mrgreen:

chevelle505
Observer
Observer

27 May 2020 19:47

Hey all, so glad i found space engine..AWSOME tool/ space simulator. Have a few questions that ive searched for now for over a week and cant find answers. I cant seem to post new topics, only see buttons on existing posts to reply. What am i missing to be able to post a question. Thanks in advance and glad to be here!!

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

28 May 2020 02:20

Hi. You can easily post a question in existing threads covering basically every topic about the program, astronomy and science and then some. Check the forum rules link on top of this page, there are suggested threads where you can start posting.
"Quick reply" below here is exactly what you need to post.
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

chevelle505
Observer
Observer

28 May 2020 17:22

So there no way like a typical forum to post a new thread? you have to reply to someone else's thread? I need Help with the warp drive auto pilot. the speeds are inconsistent. sometimes It warps and you can see the stars moving by and other times its slower than dog dodo. For example, tried to go from the Pleiades to the California nebula. one times it says like 12 hours, the next its 123 days. using the main engines will boost the speed a tad, but have to use time compression to get any real gain. Ive read the manual 4 times now, im missing something. The autopilot seems VERY inconsistent unless im missing something. I see the boost exponent is at max 9, sometimes this nets me a different speed but I should be able to hit warp 9 and im only seeing .04c which is under the speed of light (or warp 1) if im not mistaken. also, i have been unable to get to deep space nine as the autopilot overshoots it EVERY time. It drops out of warp, begins braking but it shoots by in the blink of an eye..the auto pilot will just keep turning around and shooting by it. either way, again, ive got some questions if someone would be gracious enough to help me get a grasp on the autopilot. Its supposed to do everything from what I understand. BTW, This is all with the star Trek Enterprise A if that makes a difference.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

29 May 2020 03:25

So there no way like a typical forum to post a new thread? you have to reply to someone else's thread?
As it's stated in Forum Rules, newly registered users cannot create a new thread (and incidentally edit their previous messages) until they accumulate a number of messages in other existing threads. Forum search function is useful in this case.
The reason is simple, it's useful to control spambots and to avoid as much as possible too specific threads that relentlessly become 0/1-replies threads cluttering the forum. Moderators try to manage that, but it's a time consuming work.
I need Help with the warp drive auto pilot. the speeds are inconsistent
Yes, flight simulator is early alpha stage and basically untouched since previous versions of the program, but they're working on it, among other tasks.
i have been unable to get to deep space nine as the autopilot overshoots it EVERY time. It drops out of warp, begins braking but it shoots by in the blink of an eye..[...] This is all with the star Trek Enterprise A if that makes a difference.
I don't have experience with the Star Trek mod, hopefully someone else will be able to help you with it.
I can't seem to find or remember a specific thread for piloting issues so it would be surely worth to have one.
For the moment, you can use General questions about SpaceEngine if you need help.
Also, you can go to the official SpaceEngine Discord server, many users, modders and sometimes devs are there, so there's a chance to chat directly to someone more experienced about your issues.

chevelle505
Observer
Observer

30 May 2020 22:35

Any idea how many times I need to make random useless to replies to other people’s posts before I may ask valid questions on the forum? I understand completely getting rid of spambots...but isn’t it kind of counter productive to make someone reply with questions on a topic which is completely unrelated? Being unrelated because the question hasn’t been asked before as evident from the search function. I mean, Here I am on the new members introduction thread having to ask about warp drives which as you stated hasn’t really been talked about much..I could just start a valid thread for it instead of adding a bunch of off topic posts but....

Honestly not trying to be difficult..but surely there’s a better way than limiting someone to replies only.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

30 May 2020 23:10

Any idea how many times I need to make random useless to replies to other people’s posts before I may ask valid questions on the forum?
If you make random, useless comments on other threads, you can expect them to be deleted. And you may be warned.

And you shouldn't create new threads if possible. There are now so many threads here that practically a thread already exists for every problem. And yes, 'old' threads should also be used.
(Actually, almost the only reason is to create your own thread if you want to publish self-made addons.)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Bordersun
Observer
Observer

05 Jun 2020 03:25

I am new to SpaceEngine!

triadance
Observer
Observer

22 Jun 2020 04:25

Hi there! I'm Theo :) glad te be a part of this community ~

Tanystropheus42
Observer
Observer

11 Jul 2020 23:10

Don't really know where else to put this, so its going here. Sorry if there's already a thread for it, I did search but couldn't find anything.

I've been using SpaceEngine for a while now, first on version 0.9.8 since 2017 and upgrading to 0.9.9 in December last year. I found a tonne of interesting stuff in 0.9.8, but obviously all the procedural objects are completely different in the new version, so I've just been using both. But as I experimented with what I could do on 0.9.9 I realised there were a load of features I'd love to have on 0.9.8, primarily the ability to export topographic maps of planets.

Is it possible to export topographic maps of procedural planets generated in 0.9.8 like you can do in 0.9.9? If not, is there a patch to allow me to do this? At the very least is there a tool that allows me to import system saves from 0.9.8, even if they do lose the topography, so I can export the data for a version of these planets?

As I say I have a load of stuff that I found ages ago on 0.9.8 that I would love to have maps of. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction then that'd be a huge help.