Ultimate space simulation software

xingqiu1
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Physical simulation of the space engine

17 Sep 2018 03:23

Can you tell me what physical simulations have been implemented in the space engine?

xingqiu1
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

17 Sep 2018 03:28

Do you think that the universe in the spac engine is as big as the universe in the Universe Sandbox 2?

Some people say that in the Universe Sandbox 2, the black hole can be swallowed up to hundreds of times to swallow the galaxy. It is also said that the Universe Sandbox 2 is as big as the space engine. It is 1:1. I don't believe it, so can you go back to the right one?

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

17 Sep 2018 08:53

Do you think that the universe in the spac engine is as big as the universe in the Universe Sandbox 2?

Some people say that in the Universe Sandbox 2, the black hole can be swallowed up to hundreds of times to swallow the galaxy. It is also said that the Universe Sandbox 2 is as big as the space engine. It is 1:1. I don't believe it, so can you go back to the right one?
Is like Space Engine in size but with many objects, performance decrease.
► Information

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

17 Sep 2018 09:35

Do you think that the universe in the spac engine is as big as the universe in the Universe Sandbox 2
I don't know how big it is in US2, but SpaceEngine universe is a cube with 10 billions parsec per side, or 1000 Gpc[sup]3[/sup].
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

17 Sep 2018 22:55

Can you tell me what physical simulations have been implemented in the space engine?
I think Space Engine involves more emulation than simulation.  For example it never simulates the geological processes behind terrain building or erosion.  It instead emulates surface features by procedural algorithms.  It didn't form the cosmic web structure of the universe by running an n-body simulation, but rather generated their distribution to look like the real universe on large scales.

The difference between simulation and emulation is important, because a simulation can only handle so many interactions before it's just not computationally feasible on a home computer.  This is what makes Space Engine and Universe Sandbox so fundamentally different.  Universe Sandbox is a powerful simulator and can portray things like planetary impacts that Space Engine cannot, but by the same token, it cannot simulate anywhere near as many objects as what Space Engine contains.  

Space Engine is a 10x10x10 Gpc cube, and there are about 10 galaxies per cubic Megaparsec.  That comes out to roughly 10[sup]13[/sup] galaxies in SE.  If each one contains on average 100 million stars (I'm not sure the actual number), then that's 10[sup]21[/sup] star systems, and maybe about 10[sup]22[/sup] planets, not counting the rogue ones. :)

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

18 Sep 2018 07:37

USB2 has infinite space as with many 3D game engines, it just indefinitely scales with zooming or movement.  But it can only support a few 1000s objects at most due to a hard limit set in it for computation reasons as it is computing interactions between all those objects in every combo, so interactions grow exponentially with object count in a simplified way of explaining it.

You will see what that is like if you run the internal benchmarks. like the one with 5000 moons. That on my 8 thread CPU runs at 2-3 FPM, yes frames per minute!  Forget cinebench R15 or ashes of the benchmark, run the ones in USB2 lol

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

19 Sep 2018 17:18

If each one contains on average 100 million stars
100 billions actually :)

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Sep 2018 04:26

That on my 8 thread CPU runs at 2-3 FPM, yes frames per minute!  Forget cinebench R15 or ashes of the benchmark, run the ones in USB2 lol
LOL
Also KSP is very good for that!
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Sep 2018 05:39

That on my 8 thread CPU runs at 2-3 FPM, yes frames per minute!  Forget cinebench R15 or ashes of the benchmark, run the ones in USB2 lol
LOL
Also KSP is very good for that!
I recorded it to put on youtube as a self reference to when I upgrade my PC to something like a 2700X later on but the video would not be accepted by youtube as the whole 10 sec video only was 1 or 2 frames. It kept thinking the video had errors but was fine playing back on my PC. It was as it was so I concluded it was just youtube complaining, audio was perfect so I know it recorded fine.

Some of the experiments I set up with tweaks in the debug panel, like no decay, huge particle limits and what not I left for hours to run and came back later in the day to see the results as it took minutes for each physics step to be computed.

They have updated it now so the same decay settings and particles can't be set as I could before so i's much faster but less detailed and complex now, but still many of the high body count experiments break your PC badly.

ethos
Observer
Observer

08 Mar 2019 19:34

Is there something "off" with the scale of things? For example I'm trying to recreate the transit of Mercury as seen in this actual image.[img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gibaxh9x7O0/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

however is SE, if I move away from Mercury far enough to make it appear as small as that in the image, the Sun is only slightly larger than Mercury is. Am i doing something wrong?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

09 Mar 2019 02:17

Am i doing something wrong?
Yes.
You do not have to change the distance, but the FOV!
(But also the distance a bit, so that Mercury is visible before the sun.
And I recommend putting the 'Night side lights' down a bit.)
scr00058.jpg
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

09 Mar 2019 04:53

USB2 has infinite space as with many 3D game engines, it just indefinitely scales with zooming or movement.  But it can only support a few 1000s objects at most due to a hard limit set in it for computation reasons as it is computing interactions between all those objects in every combo, so interactions grow exponentially with object count in a simplified way of explaining it.

You will see what that is like if you run the internal benchmarks. like the one with 5000 moons. That on my 8 thread CPU runs at 2-3 FPM, yes frames per minute!  Forget cinebench R15 or ashes of the benchmark, run the ones in USB2 lol
I remember running the one that simulates the local group of galaxies (just a few couple of them). My 8-core / 16-thread CPU was put to its knees:
~ 2,3 FPS,100% usage, temps reaching mid 80s C[sup]o[/sup]. The mouse pointer was barely moving... And I thought my system was powerful behh..
US[sup]2[/sup] is the perfect CPU benchmark stress utility!
SE on the other hand is, as Watsisname said, a realistic emulation & representation of the current state of the universe. And a very good one on that!
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

ethos
Observer
Observer

09 Mar 2019 08:34

[quote="JackDole"][quote="ethos"][post]27450[/post] Am i doing something wrong?[/quote]
Yes.
You do not have to change the distance, but the [b]FOV[/b]!
(But also the distance a bit, so that Mercury is visible before the sun.
And I recommend putting the '[b]Night side lights[/b]' down a bit.)
scr00058.jpg[/quote]

Cool, thats much better. Is there a FOV that shows actual scale? Meaning if I was far enough away from Mercury in real life to appear a certain size to me, the Sun would be accurately be shown in size and scale as well?

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

09 Mar 2019 11:02

Is there a FOV that shows actual scale?
That depends on the size of your monitor and how far away your eyes are from it. Basic trigonometry.

ethos
Observer
Observer

10 Mar 2019 15:27

[quote="Mr. Abner"][quote="ethos"][post]27462[/post] Is there a FOV that shows actual scale?[/quote]
That depends on the size of your monitor and how far away your eyes are from it. Basic trigonometry.[/quote]

It's 13.5 in tall and I'm about 25 in away from it.