Ultimate space simulation software

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Why is Nvidia recommeded over AMD GPU's?

25 Jan 2018 16:08

After years with Space Engine the system I built before this one with a R9 290 ran Space Engine just as well as a Nvidia card of the same class (GTX 1060 6gb) So why is it in this forum and the old websites forum swears that Nvidia GPU's are the best. After 3 gaming rigs A good GPU whether it be Nvidia or AMD runs SE just the same. Is this fanboyism that is harbored by the elite in this forum? Or can you prove to me my 300 fps I get on a Nvidia GPU is better then the 300 fps I averaged on a AMD GPU?

Just saying.
My System.
ASrock B250 Motherboard, I7 7700, GTX 1080 8gb, 16 GB DDR4 2400 mhz

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

25 Jan 2018 16:14

Also even old Bulldozer AMD CPU's ran this just as well if not slightly better then a Kaby Lake 7700. I don't understand the AMD hate here or in the previous forum.
My System.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2018 18:44

Is this fanboyism that is harbored by the elite in this forum?
Starshines, first thing first. Where did you get the impression of fanboyism or elitism?? Why you seem so bothered about it??
It seems to me that current user base is using equally AMD and Nvidia chipsets.
Personally I use Nvidia GPUs because, as a computer builder, I had more issues with AMD products than Nvidia ones. When you lose precious time and money on products you proposed to your customers, you'll remember it forever, I can assure you. It's the same old aversion you may develop for whatever computer brand that gave you all those problems a couple years ago... It could have been simply a faulty product, yet you'll remember it when it comes to choose again, that's simply how the human brain works.
I'm not a fanatic, I just found peace after some battles that scarred me.
I'm glad you didn't have my experiences.

P.S.
I'm moving this thread under General Discussions since it's not a troubleshooting request.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

25 Jan 2018 18:46

The one and only thing I can say; NVIDIA updates pretty often and each time, I can very easily see a noticeable improvement.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

26 Jan 2018 10:36

I was a little drunk when I posted this and I apologize if I came across as obtuse or brash. I just remember in the old forum a lot of people were encouraging people to go Nvidia over AMD. I am no fanboy by any means as you can see in my signature my current build is a Intel/Nvidia based platform and I could not be happier. But when I was told that my previous build (FX 8350/R9 290) wouldn't be that great for SE it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Especially now upon retrospect that SE runs just as good on a Kaby Lake/Pascal platform as it did on my previous platform with virtually the same settings.(The GPU is slightly better so I'm using 8x MSAA opposed to 4x MSAA and I was able to increase the LOD detail slightly with a slightly faster loading time. But that is to be expected on a GPU that's several years newer.)
My System.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 May 2018 09:01

Well it depends on your application. For GPGPU computing its almost impossible to recommend anything but the AMD cards, hence why they are top choice for mining. For best of best top of the line graphics for gaming then the nvidia 1080 and 1080 Ti.

I run an AMD FX with a GTX 980, both which are water cooled and OC'd. For some things the FX is a terrible CPU and holds back the 980 some what (like Unreal Tournament 99 for me and Universe Sandbox 2) . For others like SE the FX is great! and the 980 is actually what is holding back SE, its ok but bit slow as its maxed out all of the time and VRAM is always full., CPU does bugger all in SE.

I have preferred nvidia for the most part, mainly because they often had the outright fastest product historically (except Fermi/Kelper days and FX series) and I am very familiar with them as I have used them since early 2000s. Radeon had some top cards then, but I was not in the position to upgrade then so I never benefited from those AMD cards

I like AMDs drivers and innovation with GPU design a lot better, they always strive to make architecture well optimized, but have in recent years been let down on the fabrication front ( too much power and low clocks).

I dislike nvidia's driver sloppyness and overheads which slow down many cards as newer drivers come out and also cut support they previously had, quite the opposite is true for their pro cards like quadro etc... driver support for those are excellent!

Also the other thing that annoys me is their holding back of products to consumers, one reason I have refused to upgrade until they release the next top end new gen card, the Ti or what ever it will be not the mid range xx80 card which people believe is high end but its not. If you can'y tell I have a love hate relation ship with nvidia lol, I like their products but dislike their corporate morals.

As for CPUs, I have always for the most part preferred AMD CPUs. I had good impressed back in the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 days.

FX was a stop gap, not the best but offered decent multi threading at absolute bargain prices, nothing price to performance at the time from intel could match even if the FX was a lot slower.  That latter changed as AMD fell well behind but I have since held out to see what they would release next as I didn't want to pay the premium intel tax for what had been the same CPUs for almost 10 years, good CPUs but the same old stuff every year and requires a new socket and board for no good reason for every small increment.

Glad I waited as we have the Zen CPUs and they are awesome!  They are very competitive in performance, significantly cheaper, better quality and are more efficient in multi threading and lower power consumption. Also have good backwards compatibility that is not offered by intel. Its more pros than cons for my use case so Zen gets a win in my book.

I havn't got one yet as I am waiting for new GPUs on the market and then I will go for a top end nvidia with AMD 2700X or similar.

Anyway it doesn't matter what someone gets or likes, the important thing it to ignore what people suggest without reason, do informed factual research and choose parts that fits your use scenarios. There is a lot of ill informed people out there who will choose a brand for the sake of loyalty. Just need to learn to see through that and get what you need and and you alone.  

KidneyThief
Observer
Observer

22 Jul 2018 10:37

Since the GCN architecture change on AMD, Radeon support has been difficult due to SpaceEngineer's development system lacking a modern AMD GPU.

This will soon* change, as Vlad just acquired a RX580 for development purposes.

*(in one-man developer timescales)

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

22 Jul 2018 21:04

I have been doing a lot of reading on the Vega OpenGL implementation. Apparently it's quite good on Linux but many developers/professorial users complain of the broken/poor performance with OpenGL on windows due to the drivers.  There also seems to be lack of any OpenGL testing/benchmarks on windows for the Vega, I have only seen hearsay about the lack of performance on various non gaming/professional use forums, most of these users under windows go for the Quadro cards instead.   If this is true, that is a real disappointment.   The Polaris cards as far as I know do quite well under OpenGL though. 

I would love to see actual benchmarks done with both latest architectures from AMD and nVidia on similar product, say 64 vs the 1080 or 1070Ti and really see the difference based on objective testing.

MatthewDilks2
Observer
Observer

25 Jul 2018 10:59

NVIDIA is most likely stronger than AMD but comes at a higher cost. Now don't get me wrong there are some pretty strong AMD GPUs such as the AMD Vega. I would prefer NVIDIA over AMD when it comes to performance.
My addiction to SpaceEngine is real.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 Jul 2018 01:11

nvidia definitely have the better and faster "gaming" architecture currently and likely in to the future. AMD had good ones in the past  (Polaris being the last one to date) but their vega architecture isn't really designed with gaming performance in mind, it was designed as a compute GPU and is very fast in that department, and also used to fill the gaming GPU market somewhat but not a great performer despite the raw computational power.

So anyone looking to upgrade on the next round of GPUs, it is more than likely nvidia will be the way to go but we just have to wait and see.

roundcubetwo
Observer
Observer

25 Aug 2020 02:12

faster GPUs have enabled game developers to create increasingly detailed and complex worlds. While you can find everything from budget GPUs to high-end offerings from both AMD and Nvidia, when it comes to outright performance, Nvidia has a clear overall lead. If you look at our GPU performance hierarchy, you'll see that (not counting Titan cards, which aren’t really aimed at just gamers) Nvidia holds the top five spots. The best AMD can do is sixth place, with the Radeon VII and RX 5700 XT nearly tied for overall performance

roundcubetwo
Observer
Observer

25 Aug 2020 02:17

For me, it's AMD all the way: they are the only ones with a serious product with open source support.

chug84
Observer
Observer

01 Sep 2020 16:51

I just upgraded my GPU to a radeon 5700 xt and am wondering now if it was a mistake.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Sep 2020 07:24

I just upgraded my GPU to a radeon 5700 xt and am wondering now if it was a mistake.
How so?  I built a PC for a friend with one and it was really good when I tried a few games on it myself.

chug84
Observer
Observer

03 Sep 2020 16:54

How so?  I built a PC for a friend with one and it was really good when I tried a few games on it myself.
Well, I was having some issues with artifacts on wings related to antiasliasing. I downgraded the drivers to older version and that seemed to fix. However, I'm noticing some white artifacts at the edge of atmospheres and according to HarbingerDawn over on reddit it's a known and persistent issue with AMD GPUs. So, not sure if I should swap this out, or just suck it up and hope it gets fixed eventually.