Ultimate space simulation software

nbella91
Observer
Observer

Physical simulation of the space engine

17 Jun 2021 15:09

DoctorOfSpace wrote:
nbella91 wrote:
Source of the post I'm sure you've looked at Kip Thorne's paper on rendering the Kerr black hole for the movie Interstellar

And for the movie they still settled on a similar rendering technique to what SE uses, non-Kerr and nonrotating.

I believe, according to Kip Thorne's book "The Science of Interstellar", they did stay with Kerr for the movie but reduced the spin from something like 99.9999% the maximum possible spin rate from the initial simulations to only 60%.  They also ignored the doppler shift of the accretion disk in the movie.  The paper seems to back up this statement (a/M=0.6).  Both decisions were motivated by trying to not confuse the audience too much though I would have loved to see a full IMAX quality image at a/M=0.999 and doppler shift!

Challenger
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

24 Jun 2021 02:34

If we are talking about fiction, it should be understandable to ordinary people. Of course, if you understand a little more than an ordinary viewer or reader, then you want a more complete immersion in the topic. But for an uninformed person, this information is enough.

longname
Explorer
Explorer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

29 Jun 2021 12:20

nbella91 wrote:
DoctorOfSpace wrote:
nbella91 wrote:
Source of the post I'm sure you've looked at Kip Thorne's paper on rendering the Kerr black hole for the movie Interstellar

And for the movie they still settled on a similar rendering technique to what SE uses, non-Kerr and nonrotating.

I believe, according to Kip Thorne's book "The Science of Interstellar", they did stay with Kerr for the movie but reduced the spin from something like 99.9999% the maximum possible spin rate from the initial simulations to only 60%.  They also ignored the doppler shift of the accretion disk in the movie.  The paper seems to back up this statement (a/M=0.6).  Both decisions were motivated by trying to not confuse the audience too much though I would have loved to see a full IMAX quality image at a/M=0.999 and doppler shift!

You can tell that Gargantua isn't a Schwarzschild black hole as Doc suggests just from the shape of the event horizon.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]